I like how he is stressing the attitude of the defense, the killer instinct, urgency - and its tremendous lacking.

I know it's a post game conference, but, I'm glad to hear something other than just 'execution' or 'process'. He's right, the attitude is totally off. And I hope he does focus on that. "Getting off blocks" was the first thing he said, but then he went on a pretty intense rant about attitude.

If he can be so open about the problem, I hope he can produce clear results.

Thoughts?

I like how he is stressing the attitude of the defense, the killer instinct, urgency - and its tremendous lacking.

I know it's a post game conference, but, I'm glad to hear something other than just 'execution' or 'process'. He's right, the attitude is totally off. And I hope he does focus on that. "Getting off blocks" was the first thing he said, but then he went on a pretty intense rant about attitude.

Thoughts?

until Bo shows progress on the field, all coach talk. nothing to get excited about.

Thoughts?

He knows what's going on just as much as the rest of us. All the preaching about scheme this and that, it's not a scheme problem. There's a mental block here. The scheme works. The folks that bitch about scheme and adjustments dont have a clue what the scheme even is or the adjustments that are or arent made. They just use those words to sound football smart. it's a mental thing. How it's not obvious to err'body, I'll never. now.

• Fire 4

I was someone that wanted Pelini here. Recently, I've also been super critical of him. That being said, I saw something different today in his demeanor. Perhaps it's just a coach who's gone through a very humbling week and won't mean much in the long run, but maybe just maybe he has come to grips with the fact that no matter what he thinks about how iron clad his scheme is, or how well he backs up his players....there is something wrong with his approach. The one consistent thing about his teams the past few years is they will ALWAYS commit a lot of penalties, always turn the football over, and will not play sound defense against athletic competition. The players have changed, the results have not. It is a systemic problem. I saw a ton of defensive mistakes today: missed tackles, blown coverage, linemen stuck on their blocks, etc. But I also saw a coach pull several players aside and look to be COACHING them. Telling them what they did wrong, what they should have done, and then a tap on the helmet. The same coach that verbally undresses a guy two seconds after missing an assignment....a player already with his head hanging as his screw up is replayed in slow motion 3 times on national TV.

I'm not going to make any predictions that this is any kind of solid indicator that change is coming, but something looked different, felt different. Whether it means that it will last into the next game, season, or if it will even matter, I don't know. What I want to believe is that he sees something. Maybe that his players are so tightly wound that they're afraid to make mistakes. Or that maybe they have so much information thrown at them on a weekly basis that their fundamentals suffer as a result. I'm not on that practice field 5 months out of the year. I have a 2000 mile view of the situation, but even I can see that something needs to change. It's not just 'execution has to get better' or 'we have some things to clean up'......it's a fundamental issue....a basic disconnect with how the coach communicates what he wants to the players, and it's something that only a head coach can change, either by adapting or allowing himself to be replaced.

Here's hoping he can press ahead with the former.

• Fire 2

Thoughts?

He knows what's going on just as much as the rest of us. All the preaching about scheme this and that, it's not a scheme problem. There's a mental block here. The scheme works. The folks that bitch about scheme and adjustments dont have a clue what the scheme even is or the adjustments that are or arent made. They just use those words to sound football smart. it's a mental thing. How it's not obvious to err'body, I'll never. now.

Boom!!!

Also great post Jason

I was someone that wanted Pelini here. Recently, I've also been super critical of him. That being said, I saw something different today in his demeanor. Perhaps it's just a coach who's gone through a very humbling week and won't mean much in the long run, but maybe just maybe he has come to grips with the fact that no matter what he thinks about how iron clad his scheme is, or how well he backs up his players....there is something wrong with his approach. The one consistent thing about his teams the past few years is they will ALWAYS commit a lot of penalties, always turn the football over, and will not play sound defense against athletic competition. The players have changed, the results have not. It is a systemic problem. I saw a ton of defensive mistakes today: missed tackles, blown coverage, linemen stuck on their blocks, etc.

I'm not going to make any predictions that this is any kind of solid indicator that change is coming, but something looked different, felt different. Whether it means that it will last into the next game, season, or if it will even matter, I don't know. What I want to believe is that he sees something. Maybe that his players are so tightly wound that they're afraid to make mistakes. Or that maybe they have so much information thrown at them on a weekly basis that their fundamentals suffer as a result. I'm not on that practice field 5 months out of the year. I have a 2000 mile view of the situation, but even I can see that something needs to change. It's not just 'execution has to get better' or 'we have some things to clean up'......it's a fundamental issue....a basic disconnect with how the coach communicates what he wants to the players, and it's something that only a head coach can change, either by adapting or allowing himself to be replaced.

I saw the same thing and IIRC, it was Zaire right after the pass interference call. He came off the field and Bo spoke with him and slapped in on the helmet. Not the previous Bo, but a new one that seemed to say "hey, its ok. This is how we fix it". Different. I hope this continues.

I was someone that wanted Pelini here. Recently, I've also been super critical of him. That being said, I saw something different today in his demeanor. Perhaps it's just a coach who's gone through a very humbling week and won't mean much in the long run, but maybe just maybe he has come to grips with the fact that no matter what he thinks about how iron clad his scheme is, or how well he backs up his players....there is something wrong with his approach. The one consistent thing about his teams the past few years is they will ALWAYS commit a lot of penalties, always turn the football over, and will not play sound defense against athletic competition. The players have changed, the results have not. It is a systemic problem. I saw a ton of defensive mistakes today: missed tackles, blown coverage, linemen stuck on their blocks, etc.

I saw the same thing and IIRC, it was Zaire right after the pass interference call. He came off the field and Bo spoke with him and slapped in on the helmet. Not the previous Bo, but a new one that seemed to say "hey, its ok. This is how we fix it". Different. I hope this continues.

Pelini did something similar with Gerry, Baptiste and Rose.....the camera showed each one.

Jason, that is seriously a fantastic point about Pelini's coaching on the sidelines. I noticed the exact same thing. Specifically, Zaire Anderson got called for defensive holding. He came to the sideline, Pelini talked him up, gave him a pat on the helmet and went back to it. I've seen Pelini do it before, but there was something that looked a little different about it all this time. Also, I too noticed a different demeanor from Pelini at his press conference.

Pelini's no slouch. I think he and we all can see the systemic problems, as you mentioned, that've been relevant for a couple of years now. Specifically, we're not shedding blocks on the d-line, our line backers aren't in position to make tackles, we miss tackles, we lose the check down backs and receivers in our zone coverage.

But, as has been said, it seems he is taking a different approach and I like it. Obviously, it needs to transfer onto the field.

Probably thanked him for it. That play would have gone for 6 if hadn't held the reciever. :D

Zaire had help coming on that play. Pretty easy to see on the replay.

Missed the joke again didn't ya. :B)

Yep, realized the emoticon was there after I posted. My bad. Z Anderson did have a tough day in coverage......it's understandable why his time gets limited.