CRISP

hskerprid

OK just got home and I am watching the game and it's at the half. I have never been a Martinez basher. I have always thought that the coaches see these kids everyday in practice and probably know a hell of a lot more than we do.

YaYa I know it's South Dakota State.

Can any of you explain how crisp and dynamic our offense seems right now?Armstrong is the second coming of Tommie ( I know ....blasphemy).Kellogg has an arm that is so dynamic it's not even funny. Why is Martinez not riding the pine?We have seen this before ...........Callahans stuborness cost him his job.Pelini is not far behind. sorry but this pad will not let me space and make new paragraphs.

I guess I'll just repeat the old it was South Dakota State! ...but I agree with a lot of your points. Our offense was really crisp. I really liked what we saw. It far exceeded my expectations even for South Dakota State. Kellogg in particular impressed me - way more than I was expecting.

If we had to play with either of them long term we'd have growing pains, but these are some solid, promising players we have behind Taylor. I love what they bring to the table and they both throw very beautifully. The play where Kenny Bell fumbled was a sight for sore eyes! (up until he lost the ball). Tommy with the fake, turns around and hits Bell right away. That could become a staple.

Taylor at full speed obviously has a step or three on these guys. With him, I think our offense is more start/stop because it relies more on the big play. Establishing the threat of running with Taylor has been an on-again, off-again thing (how much due to injury, I don't know) and it causes some sputters. I think we do have a passing game that can be more dynamic with Tommy or Ron, but the threat of the QB taking it to the house on any play won't be as prevalent.

FYI, in case this thread disappears later, just letting you know in advance it might get rolled into the other QBs thread. The conversations are pretty similar.

I guess I'll just repeat the old it was South Dakota State!

After seeing K-State get beat by NDSU and Michigan eek past both Akron and Connecticut, I'm not concerned it was "just" South Dakota State.

Huge level of talent difference between the D of NDSU and SDSU, not even close. Look I am excited about TA like everyone else, but it is like everyone is forgetting just how good a healthy T-magic really is. It is like everyone conveniently forgets he was the B1G 1st team QB last year. I think he looked banged up and as such hasn't been running as effectively, but he does have really good passing stats gets so far. If he is still hobbled, put TA in, if Taylor is healthy then he should start IMO.

I would be willing to pick a starting quarterback solely on the basis of limiting turnovers and balls on the ground.

We have enough offensive firepower that we are more of a threat to stop ourselves on any given play than any defense.

So pick whichever quarterback is the least mistake prone...

I would be willing to pick a starting quarterback solely on the basis of limiting turnovers and balls on the ground.

We have enough offensive firepower that we are more of a threat to stop ourselves on any given play than any defense.

Agreed......as others on here have written, Martinez is a turnover machine.

I guess I'll just repeat the old it was South Dakota State! ...but I agree with a lot of your points. Our offense was really crisp. I really liked what we saw. It far exceeded my expectations even for South Dakota State. Kellogg in particular impressed me - way more than I was expecting.

If we had to play with either of them long term we'd have growing pains, but these are some solid, promising players we have behind Taylor. I love what they bring to the table and they both throw very beautifully. The play where Kenny Bell fumbled was a sight for sore eyes! (up until he lost the ball). Tommy with the fake, turns around and hits Bell right away. That could become a staple.

Taylor at full speed obviously has a step or three on these guys. With him, I think our offense is more start/stop because it relies more on the big play. Establishing the threat of running with Taylor has been an on-again, off-again thing (how much due to injury, I don't know) and it causes some sputters. I think we do have a passing game that can be more dynamic with Tommy or Ron, but the threat of the QB taking it to the house on any play won't be as prevalent.

FYI, in case this thread disappears later, just letting you know in advance it might get rolled into the other QBs thread. The conversations are pretty similar.

Zoogies, this is spot on. Taylor, from the beginning, has had flashes of greatness - breaking the length of the field for a touchdown or throwing a gorgeous deep ball to Kyler Reed for a TD. The problem has always been consistency with Taylor. He can look like a football god one play and the very NEXT play he could turn into a totally different guy who looks completely lost, out of sorts, totally uncalm under fire (leading to offensive woes such as fumbling, throwing a pick or running around back and forth until he takes a sack).

Major props to Taylor for leading us to so many wins the past few years. He is a player and has given a lot and taken a ton of slack from fans. He's more than earned his education, our respect, and hopefully, a lot of good memories. I am just looking forward to more CONSISTENCY. Yes, it SDSU, but Armstrong showed this natural poise. Call it an "x" factor or whatever you want, but you can just SEE it. I think Armstrong will make a ton of mistakes, but I predict that whenever he gets the start it he will work himself into the offense seamlessly. We've seen it now. I cannot wait to see it again.

• Fire 1

Agreed......as others on here have written, Martinez is a turnover machine.

+1

Going into this game, I felt that two possible outcomes would exsist for the QB question. If TA and RKIII performed poorly, people would be concerned about TM in terms of health and getting him back and would be souding the doom and gloom for the future. If, on the other hand, the QBs played well, which they did, albeit against SDSU, the feeling would be that TM needs to sit the bench plus our QB future is secured in TA.

I was right.

Going into this game, I felt that two possible outcomes would exsist for the QB question. If TA and RKIII performed poorly, people would be concerned about TM in terms of health and getting him back and would be souding the doom and gloom for the future. If, on the other hand, the QBs played well, which they did, albeit against SDSU, the feeling would be that TM needs to sit the bench plus our QB future is secured in TA.

I was right.

even worse...if TM "heals" and Bo plays him the next couple games (or whenever) and he struggles, every one will then be on Bo's ass again...the rest of this season will likely be a bitch-fest!