CRISP

hskerprid

How could you not be a big Tommy Armstrong fan after that game?

But you still put a healthy Taylor Martinzez back in.

Remember, Taylor Martinez was once a freshman qb who set the entire NCAA on fire his first half-dozen games, against quality opponents and hostile environments.

Tommy Armstrong will only help Taylor Martinez play better, and with the coaches knowing Armstrong and Kellog can step in so well, Taylor should be released to run wild in his last few games as a college quarterback.

And if Taylor doesn't play better....then go with Tommy.

It's really win-win at this point.

Have you been watching Ohio St play? Guiton is just as good if not better than Miller.

:facepalm:

When one fan base is upset about the play of the returning first-team all-conference QB, it might be because his play has been sub-par and they really need to look at other options.

When two fan bases are upset about the play of their returning first-team all-conference QB's and are calling for a change, it might be an excellent demonstration of how fans think that plugging in the backup QB will solve all of their offensive problems.

I remember one game where a QB named "Green" showed flashes of having "it" looking smooth and a born leader.....what happened to him?

I don't remember a single game like this. Green had a lot of potential and athletic ability but he always looked a bit lost back there.

Colorado 2010.

No. They were extremely conservative with Cody that game. Don't believe anyone came away impressed with Cody after the game. Heck Rex ended up with more passing touchdowns than him in that game. And I'd argue that the Colorado defense that year was as bad or worse than SDSU. Tommy to me looked to have complete control of this offense and he's only a freshman. Plus even against Southern Miss our offense struggled at first with the 3 and outs.

OK, I don't remember how he looked there, so you might be right. It did seem like we were limiting him a lot, however, and using a lot of Wild Rex. Seems like the gameplan tried to keep things out of Cody's hands as much as possible, while both Kellogg & TA were running the show.

They did limit Green more than they limited Armstrong and Kellogg, but it was also Shawn Watson's offense, and Green led the offense to 45 points against an FBS team.

The point is - don't overreact. Armstrong and Kellogg are both good backup QBs - but they played against an FCS squad that was severely outmanned at every position on their defense. Think about the one-to-one match ups they had to face yesterday. Offenses usually have to try to create mismatches - that wasn't even remotely necessary for us yesterday, anywhere on the field.

This conversation would make more sense to me if Armstrong looked awesome and Kellogg came in and looked average. At least then, you can see that having a certain QB on the field actually made a difference. But the truth it is, it didn't matter who we had on the field, because we were that much better than SDSU at every single other position.

I honestly don't care who our starter is, as long as it is the best option. I think sat showed us that there should at least be an open compitition. The fact that Taylor has 9000 yards of offense in his career doesn't mean he is the best option going forward. Sat game doesn't mean tommy is either. Put the best player, the one that gives the team the most upside, options, and leadership. The rest will take care of itself. Now about that defense......

There are a few things that Armstrong does better than Martinez, but who's to say that Martinez's play was partly the result of Beck's play calling? Could Martinez be put right back into that offense and have it be ran the same way if it was called the same way it was yesterday?

I love what I saw from TA, but I'm not ready to just say he'll be the real deal in games against MSU, Michigan, NW, and Penn State.

More of it has to do with we know what we are getting with Martinez not so much with Armstrong. He could be better or could be worse. practice doesn't tell the whole story. Since Martinez is hurt and will be gone next year it would be wise to see what Armstrong has this year instead of waiting next year. Armstrong could be horrible at practice but turns it on for game day. But i do think a qb with some swag makes our offense run better than a qb who doesn't have any. Even if Armstrong starts and we lose but keep it close you have to strongly consider Armstrong the starter. If anybody needs to avoids blowouts anymore this season it is Bo.

It would be wise to see more Armstrong this year. That much I agree with. But to completely bench Martinez would be an absolute joke. By the way, if we lose with Armstrong as the QB, you'll have a handful of people blaming Armstrong, just like you did Martinez.

Only bench Martinez(when healthy) if he goes out and puts out a terrible performance then give Armstrong some games to see how he does. Honestly it would probably work to our advantage better if we used both at the same time.

I think playing both can definitely work to our advantage. I think that playing RKIII and TA yesterday was beneficial in more ways than one and in more ways than just providing a different look. I want to see more TA, because I want to see what he can do when the defense isn't SDSU.

I remember one game where a QB named "Green" showed flashes of having "it" looking smooth and a born leader.....what happened to him?

I don't remember a single game like this. Green had a lot of potential and athletic ability but he always looked a bit lost back there.

Colorado 2010.

No. They were extremely conservative with Cody that game. Don't believe anyone came away impressed with Cody after the game. Heck Rex ended up with more passing touchdowns than him in that game. And I'd argue that the Colorado defense that year was as bad or worse than SDSU. Tommy to me looked to have complete control of this offense and he's only a freshman. Plus even against Southern Miss our offense struggled at first with the 3 and outs.

Strongly disagree about SDSU defense vs. Colorado's defense. You're not accounting for the sheer gap in athleticism there.

Yes our offense struggled against Southern Miss more than against SDSU, but you have to understand that the offense is a unit. It's not just the QB. Why do you think Ameer Abdullah looked so good yesterday? It's not like he needed the pass to set him up - he went for first downs on his first two carries, right off the bat.

Against Wyoming and Southern Miss, he averaged 6.0 and 6.7 ypc. Against UCLA, he averaged 4.3. Against South Dakota State, he averaged 9.3. You can't convince me that has anything to do with QB play.

Colorado 2010.

Strongly disagree about SDSU defense vs. Colorado's defense. You're not accounting for the sheer gap in athleticism there.

Yes our offense struggled against Southern Miss more than against SDSU, but you have to understand that the offense is a unit. It's not just the QB. Why do you think Ameer Abdullah looked so good yesterday? It's not like he needed the pass to set him up, he went for first downs on his first to carries, right off the bat.

Against Wyoming and Southern Miss, he averaged 6.0 and 6.7 ypc. Against UCLA, he averaged 4.3. Against South Dakota State, he averaged 9.3. You can't convince me that has anything to do with QB play.

I think the RB does indirectly benefit from a QB who is a threat to run the ball. A QB who can run puts the defense in a bind because it creates just another person the defense has to account for. Taylor hasn't been effective running the ball at all this year and Ameer has also struggled while Taylor has been under center.

But another thing that has helped more than anything with Ameer's play in the last game was the fact that Beck mixed it up and played Cross and Newby a lot more--each of whom have a different running style and present a different challenge. We MUST continue doing that.

I think the RB does indirectly benefit from a QB who is a threat to run the ball. A QB who can run puts the defense in a bind because it creates just another person the defense has to account for. Taylor hasn't been effective running the ball at all this year and Ameer has also struggled while Taylor has been under center.

But another thing that has helped more than anything with Ameer's play in the last game was the fact that Beck mixed it up and played Cross and Newby a lot more--each of whom have a different running style and present a different challenge. We MUST continue doing that.

The thing that helped Ameer's play yesterday was that SDSU's front seven was no match at all for our offensive line. It's pretty simple.

It probably has at least something to do with QB play, whether you choose to be convinced or not.

It's no secret a QB that can run and/or push the ball down the field will only help his running back. Obviously SDSU was over-matched physically (much like Wyoming and Southern Miss), but I fail to see how you fail to see how having a QB that can keep a defense honest will help open up running lanes.

It probably has at least something to do with QB play, whether you choose to be convinced or not.

It's no secret a QB that can run and/or push the ball down the field will only help his running back. Obviously SDSU was over-matched physically (much like Wyoming and Southern Miss), but I fail to see how you fail to see how having a QB that can keep a defense honest will help open up running lanes.

Of course having a QB who can keep a defense honest will help open up running lanes. That's just not what was happening yesterday.

Go back and watch the offensive line if you don't believe me. There's no comparison between their play in the first few games and against SDSU.

edit: I'm not saying that TA and RKIII weren't impressive. There's just no reason that the game yesterday should be the reason they start over a healthy TM. They're going to have to show it against legit competition first. (I would say that they could earn it in practice, but I'm not sure that our #1 defense is a much better test than SDSU).

The thing that helped Ameer's play yesterday was that SDSU's front seven was no match at all for our offensive line. It's pretty simple.

And that we had a QB that was running the football as well.

And that we had a QB that was running the football as well.

Not when RKIII was in the game, and when he was, the offense didn't miss a beat.