Huskers Ice Hockey

I would be surprised if UNL was allowed by the regents to start a team, unless they are willing to give UNO the shaft again like when they were forced to cut their football program as part of going D1.

I guess I don't see why UNO and UNL Men's Hockey couldn't co-exist, especially since the UNO team is more seasoned and had more success--I doubt that DoNU getting a hockey team would suddenly upend their program's trajectory...

UNO and UNL hockey could compete for donors' dollars. I am sure there are people that contribute to NU football and UNO hockey. There have to be a lot of UNL almuni that live in Omaha and support Omaha hockey through tickets and donations. I am not sure how many of those live outside Omaha though. I have a feeling that people from Lincoln and the west don't care too much about Omaha.

This is just a guess...but I don't think UNO hockey is really attended all that well by students. UNL hockey (assuming it was near campus) would be really well attended by students. UNO's crowd seems to be very much like the Creighton crowd...not tons of students but tons of people out for a good time.

So you would have a very nice built in base but ColoradoHusker is right...they would be fighting for donor dollars.

This is just a guess...but I don't think UNO hockey is really attended all that well by students. UNL hockey (assuming it was near campus) would be really well attended by students. UNO's crowd seems to be very much like the Creighton crowd...not tons of students but tons of people out for a good time.

So you would have a very nice built in base but ColoradoHusker is right...they would be fighting for donor dollars.

Baxter Arena has 1 student section with 854 seats in it, which is just over 10% of the overall capacity for hockey. I have no idea if they are able to fill that section with students, but that seems like a decent sized "student section" for an arena of that size.

If NU hockey were to play in the PBA, they would most likely close off the top section of the arena. I think that is what Omaha would do with the Century Link Center when the Mavs played there before moving this year.

EDIT: I forgot the few years that Omaha played at the Ralston Arena after moving out of the C-Link Center.

The average attendance is around 6000+ And if you want a real thrill, come to town when the Fighting Souix visit. They travel like husker fans 17,000 packed fans at the Link. Doesn't get any better than that. Great fans, hockey fans, if you know what I mean, but win or lose they love to party. I just hope they move those games back to the Link. You all must come up and see. I don't agree with the fighting for donor dollars either. UNO won't lose any.

Going to see UNO play this weekend...I will let you know my thoughts on the new arena

I've been to one game at the new arena and personally, I liked the century link more. There are a few reasons for that:

1) There's only one entrance to the arena and space is limited so it's like a herd of cattle trying to get into that one tiny little entrance

2) We were behind the opposing teams net and at times it was difficult to see what was happening on the other end. Seems like you were more elevated at the link so it was easier to see.

3) There were a decent amount of open seats and UNO was losing but the vibe wasn't quite the same. It might be different when it's a sold out game.

Going to see UNO play this weekend...I will let you know my thoughts on the new arena

I've been to one game at the new arena and personally, I liked the century link more. There are a few reasons for that:

1) There's only one entrance to the arena and space is limited so it's like a herd of cattle trying to get into that one tiny little entrance

2) We were behind the opposing teams net and at times it was difficult to see what was happening on the other end. Seems like you were more elevated at the link so it was easier to see.

3) There were a decent amount of open seats and UNO was losing but the vibe wasn't quite the same. It might be different when it's a sold out game.

Hmmm...Interesting.

I liked it when it was at the Clink so I am curious about how things will seem at the new place...but like ColoradoHusker said...they still serve booze!

• 1 year later...

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...