The Shoe

YOU GUYS ARE RUINING NEBRASKA FOOTBALL!!

IT'S FAIR WEATHER FANS LIKE YOU THAT RUINED IT!

YOU DON'T KNOW ME! I LIKE THE HUSKERS MORE THAN YOU! I'VE BEEN A MUCH AWESOMER FAN THAN YOU SINCE FOREVER!

I'VE BEEN SITTIN' IN THEM SEATS SINCE 1970, WHEN BOBFATHER DEVANEY WAS OUR COACH AND SAVIOR!

YOU DON'T KNOW ME! I LIKE THE HUSKERS MORE THAN YOU! I'VE BEEN A MUCH AWESOMER FAN THAN YOU SINCE FOREVER!

I'VE BEEN SITTIN' IN THEM SEATS SINCE 1970, WHEN BOBFATHER DEVANEY WAS OUR COACH AND SAVIOR!

I BUILT MEMORIAL STADIUM WITH MY OWN TWO HANDS AND I'VE LIVED IN IT EVER SINCE!!

I BUILT MEMORIAL STADIUM WITH MY OWN TWO HANDS AND I'VE LIVED IN IT EVER SINCE!!

You don't have the man power, or the steady hand to pull that off.

You don't have the man power, or the steady hand to pull that off.

NOT ONLY DO I HAVE THE MAN POWER AND THE STEADY HAND, I INVENTED FOOTBALL IN MY SPARE TIME WHILST PENNING THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE!!

The people that think it's dumb, are the same ones that tell me to be quiet or sit down during a game.

And leave with 8 minutest left in the fourth

Say what you want about blue hairs, but IMHO, it's the students that need to improve in that department. Watching the SDSU game on Saturday, it was kind of frustrating to see a big empty hole in the stadium at the top of the student section after we went up by a couple TDs. I know they pack themselves in really tight so there is usually a small empty spot there, but there was probably 30% or better of the student section that was missing already after halftime. That's a joke.

I think the shoe thing is great for the kids

BUT its the student section that is the most empty after halftime and the student purchase of tickets as a % of the entire student body has gone down quite a bit over time

Not sure how you can really compress the seating- every fan has about 18 inches of space-everyone is already squeezed in like sardines already

Believe this if you want, but a few friends and I (and I must also credit our friend Alcohol) started doing this back in 04 or 05 when David Dyches and Jordan Congdon were our kickers. We were playing a team (I can't remember who) that had a kicker who kicked barefoot and we took our shoe off to offer it to him. Somehow we started doing it when we kicked and we actually made a couple in a row that game, which was rare back then. Since we already had our shoe off, we kept it up for the kickoffs as well. We used to do it for all kicks except punts. For a long time we were the only idiots doing it and I'm sure it looked stupid. By the time we graduated we might have had 25% of the student section doing it and it really didn't catch on until we left. We called ourselves the Shoe Crew and even had shirts made that said Skers on the front and Shoe Crew on the back. We used the name and shirts for our intramural teams too. I think I've heard a few other stories, so believe what you want. It just bothers me to hear that a fraternity or sorority started it which was defininitely not the case. We were proud members of south stadium back when east stadium was block seating mostly for greeks.

I'll second this. Those were terrible years for kicking. I never actually did it, but I also saw it as "giving the kicker an extra helping shoe" like a helping hand because they couldn't kick worth crap. Once we got Adi, I thought it was dumb to continue it because well, he didn't need the extra "shoe" since he always kicked it to the endzone. But now that the whole student section does it, it looks great to see them do it as a tradition and all together. Kind of cool to see, albeit a bit dumb but who the f*ck cares?

The student section might empty out earlier, but they also show up two hours before anyone else even leaves home.

I get what you're saying, but which would you rather have?

The only reason students show up that early is to sit as close as they can to the field. Not because they just care so much about the team that they want to be there for every second to support the team...

• Fire 2