Listen to this....

True2tRA

Well stuff like this certainly has an effect: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/pac12/2013/07/26/pac-12-presents-plan-to-limit-football-practice-contact/2590625/

Also, I think some of our "bad tackling" isn't so much how we're tackling, but the fact that our guys are slow in getting to the ball, resulting in tackles from the side or behind. Much easier to tackle a guy from the front.

Well stuff like this certainly has an effect: http://www.usatoday....ontact/2590625/

Also, I think some of our "bad tackling" isn't so much how we're tackling, but the fact that our guys are slow in getting to the ball, resulting in tackles from the side or behind. Much easier to tackle a guy from the front.

Partially right

0ver 80% of tackles arent face to face, they are at some type of angle

But again you tackle with your feet, putting youreself in close enough proximity to be able to lower your hips and roll your hips through contact

When you are slow to the ball (poor read, poor speed, poor body control or poor angles), you arent close enough to lower/roll the hips, hence all the whiffs, arm tackling and diving

Well stuff like this certainly has an effect: http://www.usatoday....ontact/2590625/

Partially right

But again you tackle with your feet, putting youreself in close enough proximity to be able to lower your hips and roll your hips through contact

When you are slow to the ball (poor read, poor speed, poor body control or poor angles), you arent close enough to lower/roll the hips, hence all the arm tackling and diving

Yeah, that's basically what I meant. I'm on my phone and lazy today.

Football really isn't astrophysics. Like many fields (i.e., finance), football coaches have complex and at times ridiculous terminology that makes it seem more complicated than it usually is, and makes the gap between their knowledge and the average onlooker seem greater than it really is.

I've never liked the stance some fans take that, because we don't have coaching experience, we aren't able to make any valid criticisms of coaches. Baloney. If you're trying to critique an astrophysics thesis paper without any astrophysics education, then you're probably clueless. But football? It's eleven guys trying to advance the ball and eleven other guys trying to stop them. You don't need a PhD to have a good idea of what's going on. Just some solid analytical intelligence and observation skills.

+1

I believe live, physical tackling in practice would help a bunch, but it would have its limits (possibly once per week). It's muscle/tissue memory for one thing.....hell, my buddy who is fighting tonight (MMA) goes through shin resistance training where he literally crashes his shins into a board to toughen them up. This ensures greater calcification and hardening in at the bone-sites with in the anterior portion of the Tibia.

You would figure live, physical tackling in practice would translate over to the game, common sense IMO.

I really hope the coaches employ more physical tackling in practice, even if it is once per week, which is enough IMO without providing a greater risk of injury.

Football really isn't astrophysics. Like many fields (i.e., finance), football coaches have complex and at times ridiculous terminology that makes it seem more complicated than it usually is, and makes the gap between their knowledge and the average onlooker seem greater than it really is.

I've never liked the stance some fans take that, because we don't have coaching experience, we aren't able to make any valid criticisms of coaches. Baloney. If you're trying to critique an astrophysics thesis paper without any astrophysics education, then you're probably clueless. But football? It's eleven guys trying to advance the ball and eleven other guys trying to stop them. You don't need a PhD to have a good idea of what's going on. Just some solid analytical intelligence and observation skills.

Yep

It's interesting that most people in professional fields scoff at the idea that neophytes could come in and do their job well or even offer them intelligent advice on how to do their jobs more effectively

But in the world of College Football- any Joe postman off the street with little knowledge or training thinks they know how to run/fix/manage and ofer advice for a football team of 120 kids- manage a coaching and support staff of 25 , same goes for reffing a game

Ive done both, its a lot harder to do consistently well than it looks in real time, real life

Partially right

When you are slow to the ball (poor read, poor speed, poor body control or poor angles), you arent close enough to lower/roll the hips, hence all the whiffs, arm tackling and diving

...if you only really see 4.5 or better speed on Saturdays.

Partially right

When you are slow to the ball (poor read, poor speed, poor body control or poor angles), you arent close enough to lower/roll the hips, hence all the arm tackling and diving

You don't have to have your hips in place to roll them through to be a good tackler. I'm not saying you are saying that, but arguably our best tackler I've seen was Lavonte and he rarely, if ever tackled like that. He was always diving at knees and feet.

Partially right

You don't have to have your hips in place to roll them through to be a good tackler. I'm not saying you are saying that, but arguably our best tackler I've seen was Lavonte and he rarely, if ever tackled like that. He was always diving at knees and feet.

Lavonte David Rarely if ever tackled like that "ALWAYS DIVING AT KNEES AND FEET?" Nope, he wouldnt be in the NFL is he did that

Not true at all

Watch these highlights

Watch all the drills taught by any top College or NFL coach- They dont teach LBs in DI football to tackle that way

Go to ANY Husker practice or College or HS Coaches clinic- what I suggested is how tackling is taught in the modern era of football.

Watch the early part of this highlight and see the tackling drill

The only guys that teach tackling like you suggest are Pop Warner guys who havent a clue what they are doing. Diving at knees hasnt been taught for decades

See how most of his tackles are lowered hips, toes near toes, head up waist or above

Only time he tackles at the feet or knees is where he is totally out of position, on the ground, bad angle or overrun the play.

When you dive at knees and ankles, usually your head is down, dangerous and cant see if runner makes move- you also dont have your feet under you, so hard to finish the play off being dragged around, lose almost all power which is in your trunk- hips, upper legs

• Fire 1

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/two-gap-or-not-two-gap/article_77547e52-ec98-11e1-8fc2-0019bb2963f4.html

I asked Kaczenski about the two-gap after Tuesday's practice. Is Nebraska going away from it?

“To be honest with you, (two-gap scheme) is what I come from and that's what Nebraska is. We're two-gap,” Kaczenski said. “Iowa is two-gap. All seven years I was there that's what they played on defense, and I am sure they'll continue, with the success that they've had.”

As another poster said, it's not really about tackling -- it's about getting in a position to tackle. Our problem is our guys haven't been able to get off blocks and/or are out of position to make the tackle. Too many times an OL takes out a linebacker and/or the next "safety" value is out of position. The reason the defense worked so well with David/Ruud was they got around the OL (that was trying to take them out) and made the tackle. Once this happens the defense will be much better.

http://journalstar.c...19bb2963f4.html

I asked Kaczenski about the two-gap after Tuesday's practice. Is Nebraska going away from it?

“To be honest with you, (two-gap scheme) is what I come from and that's what Nebraska is. We're two-gap,” Kaczenski said. “Iowa is two-gap. All seven years I was there that's what they played on defense, and I am sure they'll continue, with the success that they've had.”

Well at least everybody's on the same page then, we are Iowa along with all their success

• Fire 1

Partially right

Lavonte David Rarely if ever tackled like that "ALWAYS DIVING AT KNEES AND FEET?" Nope, he wouldnt be in the NFL is he did that

Not true at all

Watch these highlights

Watch all the drills taught by any top College or NFL coach- They dont teach LBs in DI football to tackle that way

Go to ANY Husker practice or College or HS Coaches clinic- what I suggested is how tackling is taught in the modern era of football.

Watch the early part of this highlight and see the tackling drill

The only guys that teach tackling like you suggest are Pop Warner guys who havent a clue what they are doing. Diving at knees hasnt been taught for decades

See how most of his tackles are lowered hips, toes near toes, head up waist or above

Only time he tackles at the feet or knees is where he is totally out of position, on the ground, bad angle or overrun the play.

When you dive at knees and ankles, usually your head is down, dangerous and cant see if runner makes move- you also dont have your feet under you, so hard to finish the play off being dragged around, lose almost all power which is in your trunk- hips, upper legs

Go back and watch those exact highlights you just posted. Just because they teach you that way doesn't mean that is the only way you can be effective. Yes I was exaggerating by saying always, but atleast 50% of the tackles he made in that highlight where of him wrapping up knees or feet. You can be effective doing it. I know proper tackling form and why it is taught that way, but in games you rarely get the chance to square someone up and tackle like that. You have to be an athlete and do whatever it takes to get them to the ground, which is what Lavonte does.

As another poster said, it's not really about tackling -- it's about getting in a position to tackle. Our problem is our guys haven't been able to get off blocks and/or are out of position to make the tackle. Too many times an OL takes out a linebacker and/or the next "safety" value is out of position. The reason the defense worked so well with David/Ruud was they got around the OL (that was trying to take them out) and made the tackle. Once this happens the defense will be much better.

Agree 100%

Agree 100%

That was me who made that post

You: "Go back and watch those exact highlights you just posted. Just because they teach you that way doesn't mean that is the only way you can be effective. Yes I was exaggerating by saying always, but at least 50% of the tackles he made in that highlight where of him wrapping up knees or feet. You can be effective doing it. I know proper tackling form and why it is taught that way, but in games you rarely get the chance to square someone up and tackle like that. You have to be an athlete and do whatever it takes to get them to the ground, which is what Lavonte does."

Well when one "exaggerates"- AKA purposely lying to try to make a point, you lose all credibility, are you "exaggerating"/lying to make a point now by saying 50%?

You said purposely "diving at knees and feet, rarely if ever maklng a tackle the way I describled. That isnt how tackling is taught at the LB spot or how it happens on the majority of plays. Note that in many of the times LD tackles at the knees- he isnt diving, hes starting out high and slides down. A "shimmy" technique which is a natural progression from the classic form tackle. As I mentioned before- when you over run a play, are on the ground or have already taken the wrong angle- sometimes you are forced to do something else. But no one in modern football is taught to as you suggest "dive at feet and ankles" to be a great LB, you tackle and get power through your hips and trunk. Today tackling is taught the way I said for a reason, it is the most effective way to tackle and it happens the most in games- if not we wouldnt bother teaching it that way. BTW we dont just teach tackling straight up, we teach feet to feet lowered hips and hip roll from all angles with the exception of directly behind. No DC wants arm tackles and most DI college LBs cant take down most DI college RBs consistently with arm tackles. I think we can all agree, the current LBs starting for NU arent doing very well taking players to the ground using arm tackles- they certainly wont improve on that when we play in Conference against the big backs in the B1G.