OT Grant Schmidt [Ohio State Commit]

If he wants to be a Husker he will wait. We have a small class next year and there will only be a few picks outside priority positions.

Not true. Schools miss out on in-state talent every year by slow playing them. Harrison Phillips would be a good example from last year for Nebraska (good for Stanford) and Cethan Carter the year before for LSU (good for Nebraska).

I agree with the rest.

If he wants to be a Husker he will wait. We have a small class next year and there will only be a few picks outside priority positions.

Not true. Schools miss out on in-state talent every year by slow playing them. Harrison Phillips would be a good example from last year for Nebraska (good for Stanford) and Cethan Carter the year before for LSU (good for Nebraska).

I agree with the rest.

Phillips is a poor example.

The story I heard was that he was a tweener as far as our scheme was concerned and we didn't really have a postion for him.

I agree with the rest.

Phillips is a poor example.

The story I heard was that he was a tweener as far as our scheme was concerned and we didn't really have a postion for him.

You are right, and that is why he was slow played. I think having Stoltenberg in the class also affected the delayed offer because the coaches seemed to be trying to figure out what to do with both. Phillips was working hard for the Nebraska offer and went to the camp to earn it, but it did not come. Then, Stanford offered and started pushing hard. Whether it was planned or not, Nebraska finally offered shortly after that, but it seemed that Phillips had already made up his mind by then.

I want to clarify that I do not know for certain that Stanford's offer forced Nebraska to offer earlier than planned, as the offer came a few weeks after the camp, which was when coaches told Phillips they would likely make the offer. However, my point is that had Nebraska offered earlier in the spring or during BRW, I think Phillips would have committed. Instead, the offer did not come which gave him time to look around, maybe even feel a little passed over, and found Stanford as a good alternative.

Carter never got an offer. He asked to walkon and after Nebraska offered, they put out a grey shirt.

Les Miles started pushing in January for Carter to flip, but he got nothing from the in-state talent because Nebraska swooped in first, as you point out with a better offer.

The fact remains, in-state talent is not a lock if they get slow played.

Let's not jump all over him too badly. Maybe if NU offers him earlier he comes here. Maybe not. IIRC, he fit a little better as a 3-4 DE so he may have fit better with their system and a Stanford education is tough to beat. I'd like the local guys to stay but if he thought that somewhere else was a better fit, good for him.

Let's not jump all over him too badly. Maybe if NU offers him earlier he comes here. Maybe not. IIRC, he fit a little better as a 3-4 DE so he may have fit better with their system and a Stanford education is tough to beat. I'd like the local guys to stay but if he thought that somewhere else was a better fit, good for him.

Agreed. Based on the type of DE the coaches are recruiting, he probably wasn't a fit here. Hopefully he is successful at Stanford.