Armstrong update

Zaimejs

I don't know what the conversation is between you and trouble/everyone else as I have just skimmed most of the posts, but the posts I have made haven't been concerning putting blame on one player. They've been about how your defenses of Martinez are just as stupid as others' criticisms.

I'm really honored that you would skim a whole thread, pull out my posts specifically, and respond solely to them in ignorance of the holistic conversation. I'm flattered to have such a fan. :thumbs

Why is it so hard for people to grasp that Martinez isn't the reason we've been losing, but he's one of the biggest reasons we've been winning the past three years?

The guy fumbles and everyone wants to bench him. The guy puts the team on his back and defeats Ohio State, Michigan State (twice), Penn State (twice), Michigan, Wisconsin, and a host of weaker opponents and his detractors brush those wins aside. He has not cost us one game, not one time, in his career.

The old saying in politics was "It's the economy, stupid." Remember that? It has a cousin that applies here - "It's the defense, stupid."

People who claim to be fans of this team but harp on and on about our quarterback need to give up being a football fan. Clearly the game is too complicated for them.

Martinez has been the primary reason we've won so many of our tough games over the past two years. Yet you're here griping about him as if he's the dumptser fire, while paying lip service to the defense's responsibility.

It beggars belief.

Well, when something as stupid as that gets posted with a follow-up of this:

No, it's because "the quarterback" is low-hanging fruit, and people are too lazy to learn the game enough to know how to properly gripe about the defense. People gripe about Martinez because it's easy.

then yeah, I'm going to call you out on it. You're disagreeing with all the Martinez haters for being "too lazy to learn the game enough to know how to properly gripe" yet you post absurd statements attributing entire games to Martinez which is essentially being "too lazy to learn the game enough to know how to properly praise".

You're coming in as a third party, cherry-picking posts from an hours-long conversation and calling me out on it and nobody else, even though similar points have been made, in similar fashion, on both sides.. You'll have to pardon the fact that I really don't care about your opinion on this.

• Fire 1

Why is it so hard for people to grasp that Martinez isn't the reason we've been losing,

The reason? No. One of the reasons? Without question.

The main reason? Not even close. The single most-griped about reason? By a country mile.

Such is the life of a quarterback.

Look at the Cowboys-Broncos game the other day. Romo throws for over 500 yards and 5 TDs - and it's all his fault they lost.

Although, I can't help but think Martinez would get a little more slack if he was having games like that and losing, as opposed to 184 yards with the turnovers out-numbering the TDs.

You're coming in as a third party, cherry-picking posts from an hours-long conversation and calling me out on it and nobody else, even though similar points have been made, in similar fashion, on both sides.. You'll have to pardon the fact that I really don't care about your opinion on this.

That's what I'd go with too :thumbs

• Fire 1

Such is the life of a quarterback.

Look at the Cowboys-Broncos game the other day. Romo throws for over 500 yards and 5 TDs - and it's all his fault they lost.

Although, I can't help but think Martinez would get a little more slack if he was having games like that and losing, as opposed to 184 yards with the turnovers out-numbering the TDs.

True, and I get that that's the life of a quarterback, at any level. And Martinez certainly gives his detractors a plethora of things to get down on him about - the turnovers, the bizarre running, the lack of shiftiness... you know the list.

I had high hopes for Martinez coming into this year. Nobody will believe me at this point, but I almost wrote up a thread wondering what would happen to Nebraska this year if Martinez' senior season mirrored Rex's last year - injured early, forced to cede time to a backup, didn't really get to showcase his game in his final year.

It's a little strange how our two biggest stars the last two years have both been banged up early in their final year.

It's even more unfortunate when we see what healthy seniors have been capable of accomplishing, most notably Suh, but also guys like Amukamara and Dennard.

I had real high hopes for Martinez as well. Three full years of starting experience and a fully healthy body, we could have seen some of the best work yet out of TM.

The first year as a starter most get a bit of a pass, you expect some mistakes and freak plays

When you lead the NCAAs in fumbles 3 years in a row (consistently make the same mistake)- that 3rd-4th year some guys understandably start to lose a little patience- when coupled with other negatives