Armstrong update

Zaimejs

With all due respect Knapp, when youre down two possessions with minutes left-as we experienced a few occasions last year and won-, that horrible defense has to make a stop or three for Martinez to lead us to that victory. It's a team game. Everyone has to do their part.

Why were we in those deficits to begin with?

Team problem including some of TMs own doing, fumbles, ints, poor decisions

With all due respect Knapp, when youre down two possessions with minutes left-as we experienced a few occasions last year and won-, that horrible defense has to make a stop or three for Martinez to lead us to that victory. It's a team game. Everyone has to do their part.

And yet, Taylor is the only one called out thread after thread after thread after thread for his mistakes. His mistakes are harped on constantly, while his successes - brilliant comeback wins and highlight-reel runs - are ignored.

It's not the fact that our defense has been historically atrocious, it's a "team problem."

:laughpound

Tommy has the potential to be better than TMart and that isn't up for debate. However I don't think he's done anything TMart couldn't have done these past two weeks.

Couple of plays today that if Martinez was in the same situation would have scored. The time he reversed field and there was another scramble that the defensive player closed the angle really quick. Having said that, Martinez couldn't have made that pitch fake.

I agree with you. Thing is I think TA has a much higher ceiling than TM and think by the time he's a senior he'll be better than Taylor is now. But I don't think he's our starter this year.

100% agree with you. Armstrong has been impressive in different ways then Martinez was when he was a freshman, and the things he's been impressive at are more conducive at running an offense that is very steady.

And that's been one of the biggest knocks on Martinez's tenure, the big plays that were followed by terrible ones. The MSU game from last year is a microcosm of Martinez's career. Martinez runs for over 200 and leads a last minute TD for the win, but the reason we were in that situation was because he put us in it. I will look back at Martinez with fondness, because he's the QB who led us through the last year in the Big XII and the transition to the Big 10.

Really the only way that he's been more impressive is in the option game. He make the defender key on him so he has the pitch rather than wait for the defender then try to pitch. As far as passing he's had easy decisions nearly all based on play action. We haven't asked him to sit in the pocket and look for 2nd and 3rd options which he will have to do and he'll struggle because he's a first year player. He's really not that fast and isn't the threat that TM was to break open a big run (his freshman year). He does move east and west better than TM. But if he breaks one for 25 that is a big gain for him. He's more of a 7-8 yard gain guy. Which don't get me wrong is great but it isn't scary. I would bet next week they stack the box and force some throws. We'll see how he does then. I would expect RKIII to get more time in.

And yet, Taylor is the only one called out thread after thread after thread after thread for his mistakes. His mistakes are harped on constantly, while his successes - brilliant comeback wins and highlight-reel runs - are ignored.

It's not the fact that our defense has been historically atrocious, it's a "team problem."

The only one?

I see lots of calls to bench our DTs, DEs, LBs, CBs and Safetys

Thad Randle, Ankarah, Lots of guys

Stafford, Compton and a whole host of defensive guys have been roasted here last year- lots of defenders this year as well

The defensive scheme and defensive coaching problem is talked about here ALL THE TIME- constantly and in depth

You said Taylor is the only one being called out for his mistakes, that simply isnt true

There are 100s if not 1000s of posts calling out specific players AND the team, areas of the team

Is Martinez called out more than others? Yes

But to say he is the ONLY one being called out in thread after thread isnt true

No single player is discussed more than Taylor Martinez. Show me threads about Thad Randle specifically. Show me threads about Ankrah specifically. When you can't, I'll show you a dozen threads specifically about Martinez.

Actually you may have to upgrade your RAM to upload the hundreds of posts calling for Martinez to get benched over the past 3 years. No single player in recent history has been so polarizing. I just don't get it. I am with you Knapplc, Taylor is a great player that no one wants to acknowledge just how dang tough and good he really is.

You said Taylor is the only one being called out for his mistakes, that simply isnt true

There are 100s if not 1000s of posts calling out specific players AND the team, areas of the team

Is Martinez called out more than others? Yes

But to say he is the ONLY one being called out in thread after thread isnt true

The bold is 100% not what I have said. Stop with the strawman tactics.

Taylor gets more attention of course, no one would disagree with that

To say he is the only one criticized is not, this TEAM, TEAM DEFENSE, COACHING STAFF and individual defensive players have been called out in 100s and 1000s of posts, depending on the subject

I think Stanton more than anyone has his work cut out for him next season and after. After watching Armstrong the last couple of games he has proved to me that he will be a very good QB in the future for us. Stanton I think is equally good or close at least from what I've seen on tape. It should one hell of a competition for those two for the next few years

This whole convo is ridiculous. Knapp, I usually don't disagree with much you say but holy sh#t man. Chill out.

Martinez isn't 100% of the problem but he has been A PART of it. I have always been a staunch Martinez supporter and will continue to be when he is 100% healthy but you cannot deny that he is completely ineffective if he is not able to be a running threat(Which is only when he is legitimately at 100%). Martinez cannot sit in the pocket and beat people with just his arm, he needs his running ability to keep defenses honest.

Nobody is saying that he is the entire problem. The defense has obviously been a dumpster fire this year, but to expect the defense to perform lights out while being on the field 75% of the game is insane. Consistent 3 and outs like we saw in the second half of the UCLA game was absolutely huge in the outcome of that game.

Martinez should be our undisputed #1 guy, but only if he is completely healthy. I do not want to see one snap of him if he can't plant that foot and take off like he is known to be able to do.

As far as all the criticism.

What do you expect? He's the QB. The QB gets the most attention and criticism on ANY team, and their mistakes are magnified more so than anybody else. it's just how it is.

He will always be T-Magic to me.

To say he is the only one criticized is not, this TEAM, TEAM DEFENSE, COACHING STAFF and individual defensive players have been called out in 100s and 1000s of posts, depending on the subject

Serious question - do you have a reading deficiency? Because I don't want to go on about this if you have an issue. Disabilities aren't something to mock.

This whole convo is ridiculous. Knapp, I usually don't disagree with much you say but holy sh#t man. Chill out.

Martinez isn't 100% of the problem but he has been A PART of it. I have always been a staunch Martinez supporter and will continue to be when he is 100% healthy but you cannot deny that he is completely ineffective if he is not able to be a running threat(Which is only when he is legitimately at 100%). Martinez cannot sit in the pocket and beat people with just his arm, he needs his running ability to keep defenses honest.

Nobody is saying that he is the entire problem. The defense has obviously been a dumpster fire this year, but to expect the defense to perform lights out while being on the field 75% of the game is insane. Consistent 3 and outs like we saw in the second half of the UCLA game was absolutely huge in the outcome of that game.

Martinez should be our undisputed #1 guy, but only if he is completely healthy. I do not want to see one snap of him if he can't plant that foot and take off like he is known to be able to do.

As far as all the criticism.

What do you expect? He's the QB. The QB gets the most attention and criticism on ANY team, and their mistakes are magnified more so than anybody else. it's just how it is.

I've never said Taylor wasn't part of the problem. I've been critical of his mistakes.

I guess I'll be the guy in the wrong here. I never imagined it would be controversial to call into question the mountain of criticism leveled at our record-breaking quarterback and comparing it to the (relatively) mole-hill size criticism directed at our record-breaking defense. Especially since the defense's records have been on the bad end of the record book.

I apologize for pointing out this disparity in criticism.

BTW - the Time of Possession exaggeration is noted. To date, Nebraska ranks 44th in the country in TOP, holding the ball for a cool 30 minutes a game. We were at #36 at the end of last season at 31 minutes per game.

Through the first three games of this season we averaged 32 minutes per game, with UCLA being the lowest point at 28 minutes.

We held the ball for 29 minutes against SDSU.

We held the ball for 27 minutes against Illinois.

But again, I apologize for failing to note that the defense has been put in horrible positions by being forced out on the field 75% of the time. My bad.

To say that this defense has been criticized little is silly, it's harped on here every day and in depth, as it should be

Serious question - do you have a reading deficiency? Because I don't want to go on about this if you have an issue. Disabilities aren't something to mock.

Back at you, has Alzheimers set in? I realize Alzheimers isnt something to mock either

To say that the defense has been criticized a small "molehill" amt here- really?

There are 100s- 1000s of posts critical of the defense, its players, scheme and coaches