Martinez v. Armstrong

Martinez has an edge in leadership by virtue of his experience. Tommy is a better passer, no question about it. Martinez is more likely to break off a huge, game breaking play--the kind of thing that causes D-coordinators to have nightmares. But T-Mart is also more likely to throw a boneheaded pick. They both have issues with fumbling, although Tommy did a better job of hanging onto the ball today.

I'm glad to see Armstrong get game experience while Martinez is dinged up. I think I'd like to see Martinez get the nod as starting QB once he's healthy--but giving play time to Armstrong as well. And then decide from there. Whoever plays the best is our starter.

Martinez has an edge in leadership by virtue of his experience. Tommy is a better passer, no question about it. Martinez is more likely to break off a huge, game breaking play--the kind of thing that causes D-coordinators to have nightmares. But T-Mart is also more likely to throw a boneheaded pick. They both have issues with fumbling, although Tommy did a better job of hanging onto the ball today.

I'm glad to see Armstrong get game experience while Martinez is dinged up. I think I'd like to see Martinez get the nod as starting QB once he's healthy--but giving play time to Armstrong as well. And then decide from there. Whoever plays the best is our starter.

Can we win enough games on simply [asses or do we need those game breaking plays?

Coming into this game, I thought that Tommy was the more accurate thrower, but now I'm not sure. TA threw a lot of high balls today, and was bailed out by his receivers a number of times. The Kenny Bell grab was ridiculous, Quincy Enunwa had to make a great catch on that second TD of the game, and TA flat out missed Tre Foster wide open in the end zone.

TA played well, but I'm looking forward to seeing what Taylor can do when he's healthy. Then, if Taylor struggles, go with TA.

Can we win enough games on simply passes or do we need those game breaking plays?

Yeah, fair enough. I have to say TA had our offense clicking right down the field today. And that's what really matters--the points on the board. Not the youtube clip highlights. The thing is, we haven't really seen Armstrong against a stout defense. It's too bad we didn't work him in for a couple of series during the UCLA game. The first really good defense we'll face is Michigan. And that's a month away. (To a lesser extent, Northwestern.)

But maybe it's a good thing that Armstrong isn't thrown right into our November B1G sched. He's got all of October to get acclimated with four fairly easy conference games before we hit a few tougher games in November. (Actually, our November sched this year isn't as brutal as it's been the past couple of years.)

Primary edge Taylor has is probably experience. Tommy should be brought along more slowly and that means Taylor, if he's healthy, goes back in by default -- until he loses the job.

It's for Tommy's sake really that he be brought along slowly.

Taylor has a day running like Tommy did today -- we blew it. Didn't maximize him or make use of his speed enough. Tommy runs like Tommy today and it was still a decent amount of positive within the offense we were running. So I think the speed advantage vs offense operation might amount to a wash.

One other thing in Tommy's corner, we seem as a team to be committed to running the lateral option play and Tommy runs that like a natural.

good points by nuance. i will add that it seems that tommy has been the better decision maker this year. tommy also has not had any drive killing sacks.

i do not want to get persecuted, but honestly i would rather have tommy start the rest of the season. i think we would have as good of a season and he would get some much needed experience for next year. t-mart does deserve a better end to his career, though. i am just glad i do not have to make that decision. although... zac lee deserved a better end to his career as well. so, as the sports speak goes, it is what it is.

• Fire 2

It was very windy today. Armstrong is good under pressure, taking the time to make the right decision, Martinez is as bad as a 5th year 4 year starter gets when under pressure. Armstrong makes smart moves to get positive yards, Martinez made big runs against lesser opponents when he had the 4.3 speed but hardly any against good defenses that basically put a spy on him and forced him to make a decision. Abdullah got well over 200 yards today, I think he gets around 100 with Martinez at qb. Whether it's Martinez decision making or Beck's play calling can be debated, but not by me....I don't care what the cause is anymore, I just want to see the kind of offense we expect.

• Fire 1

Armstrong had problems making correct read on Zone Read and was very amped on a few simple throws.

Still he is a great option.

I really only saw one bad read that I can recall, but it was for a bad loss also. I think Armstrong is the future for now, but if they play T-Mart then so be it as long as they remember TA if things go awry.

Martinez:

Experience...

Speed (IF healthy..and I'm not so sure he'll ever be healthy again)...

That's all...

Armstrong:

Better command of the offense (i.e. better leader)

Better thrower

Expands the offensive playcalling...gets players involved...better decision making..doesn't appear to be turnover prone (YET!)