Martinez v. Armstrong

I want the quarterback who converts third downs and who isn't among the NCAA leaders in turnovers.

Nebraska's 3rd down conversion percentage prior to SDSU was 44%. Last year's rate was 43%. The percentage has been better these last two games, but if you exclude the outliers (the bad performance against UCLA and SDSU, a FCS school) the 3rd down conversion rates have been virtually identical in the other three games.

The offense's conversion rate under Martinez is fine.

It was a reference to 3Q UCLA.

I can't really pinpoint what makes this offense look a lot better when TA is running the show. Maybe it is the calm demeanor of how he handles pressure and doesn't get spooked.

TM piloted several comebacks last year - he's a very calm and focused quarterback.

In a way, you're right though. When TA has the ball in his hands, I'm not nervous nor do I feel like a turnover is coming. TM, despite being a really good QB for us IMHO, doesn't exert that same kind of confidence in me.

He is calm at times but he gets way to jittery more then he should for being a 4yr starter. At times, he seems to get jumpy when there is no reason for it and it causes him to force things which usually doesn't end in our favor. I'm all for TM being our QB if he is gives us the best chance to win but I just feel different watching TA play.

Martinez:

1) Knowledge/experience in offense

2) Speed

3) Teammates really seem to trust him

Armstrong:

1) Pocket presence (in addition, his ability to scramble when needed)

2) Long ball

3) Great running QB

I think with some more games under his belt, Armstrong is going to be a great QB. I think that's really key, because for the last three years (four if you include this season), the Huskers have had a great athlete in the QB position .

Not picking a side but something to add..

Martinez:

1) Led (IDK the exact number) 4(?) comeback victories last year. Not to mention he QB'ed the biggest comeback in Husker history.

2) He is tough. Not nearly as good when hurt, but I'd be hard pressed(is that a saying?) to find many people on the roster that want it more than him.

Either way I am excited for the next 3 yrs of TA.

Difference I see between the two is that so far TA has had very few offensive stalls. Yes Taylor has that speed but TA has managed to keep the ball moving in the right direction. But I am with others here...just waiting to see TA against a much better defense to really make a judgement. Taylor's speed is great and all but he has to keep that offense moving better and keep the opposing teams offense off the field as well as our defense. Chew up that clock and don't let their offense back on the field to gain any kind of momo. You can see it made a big difference in the Illinois game. They really couldn't get that momentum going.

ADDDED: I do have to say that the offensive line and backs have really stepped up their play. Helps to make TA look better. It may be because Taylor is out and they realized they need to help out that young quarterback, they may have more respect for him as a leader, or simply a fire was lit under their arse to perform better.

I know what you want to see as a Nebraska fan, Moiraine. You want to see the 'Coach Bo Pelini Comedy Hour.' And I've enjoyed it too the past three years. We witness this episode every time we place Taylor Martinez into the line-up of a game. Then coach Pelini starts jumping up and down and starts yelling at his players and coach Papuchis on the sideline going ballistic all the while. He then later has angry words for T-Mart after some strange play has transpired.

Yeah, I enjoy watching that too (except for the 41-21 meltdown to UCLA and the 70-31 disaster against Wisconsin)...but I like to see the Nebraska of old where we have a competent team out there on the field. Tommy Armstrong just takes Nebraska back to its roots -- and coach Pelini looks a lot happier, his mind is at ease while all of this takes place. It's better for his blood pressure too. Illinois was 3-1 going into yesterday's game by the way -- in regard to your info about the competition level with Armstrong's play so far.

But we can have it your way. It won't bother me at all. We'll just place T-Mart back under center as soon as we can -- as soon as he's 100%, and I'm sure the Comedy Hour will resume once again on the sidelines.

TMart should only play if he is at 100%. IMO we should play TA for the next two games as they "should" be easy wins. With the bye week that gives TMart three weeks to heal, if he isn't 100% by then and TA is still running the offense as smoothly as it has been going, then TA really needs to be your guy for the rest of the season.