Martinez v. Armstrong

I don't know. I made these comments in the Martinez appreciation thread the other day, that kind of got lost in the shuffle of Husker99 arguing with everyone, but this is kind of where I am at on the deal. Many of you probably don't care what I think about it at this point, but just throwing my two cents in on it.

If Taylor does come back 100 percent healthy, how fantastic would it be for both TM and TA to take snaps? I mean, to me that's about as tough to prepare for as anything you could ever see as a defense. How could you be ready for that dual QB threat? You couldn't. The way I see it, Taylor has done too much in his career to just never see the field as a Husker again. At the same time, I think TA has proven that he is clearly a threat out there and brings something to this offense that absolutely should not just go away when Taylor is back.

I'm not going to get involved in your nonsense at this point.

I think both sides of this argument are doing a disservice to Taylor by just refusing to admit his strengths and weaknesses. As a runner, one of the best and fastest guys we have seen on the field here at Nebraska. He runs the zone read option like a f'ing wizard and when he takes off north and south you know he's GONE! he has the stats, and he's earned them. Props to the young man for all his hard work and passion for Husker football.

It's the refusal to admit his weak points is the part that makes Taylor's supporters look stupid. The kid isn't great at everything. So what! Just f'ing say it. He didn't go to all these qb camps and coaches because he is f'ing Peyton f'ing Manning. He put in work to try to get better for a reason.

It's almost just as stupid as the people that don't want to acknowledge anything the kid has done, which is also f'ing moronic. TA is better at some things than TM. TM is better than TA at some things. Neither is a f'ing God of everything. It's this blind commitment to one or the other that has people acting stupid. I hope some of you are ready to give TA some credit, he's the future of this offense....for fux sake.

I just hope when TA starts next year and starts making mistakes everyone remembers how sure they were he was the next big thing before labeling Johnny Stanton the man to replace him 2 games into the season.

I just hope the best Qb on the team is the guy that starts every Saturday.

I'm starting to buy into Mr. Accountablility's theory that Taylor has been benched permanently , and the walking boot is to save face.

I'm not sure Bo is smart enough to come up with something like this though.

Plus, Bo likes to win football games. That's a good football team out there. They just need to execute, and the rest is all fixable.

If it took until the UCLA game to get Beck to dial down the offense and let it run as efficiently as it has the past couple of weeks, then Tim Beck is insane.

If the reason Tommy can run this offense as smoothly as he has in his first two starts is simply because Beck cut away half the playbook, then Tim Beck is insane.

If we could have gotten this kind of production out of the pieces we had last year, but didn't because our OC tried to get too cute too often, then Tim Beck is insane.

When you have a Senior QB who has started forever and a lot of weapons AND experience, it is NATURAL to want to try to do too much

Happens to almost every coach out there

More isnt better, good rule of thumb, you add something, you subtract something

Perfecting enough to constrain defenses, put them in conflict is where you want to be at IMO

BUT its not all that- some of the basic plays TA has executed much smoother than TM

Beck also admitted somewhere that he was too concerned about getting everyone a certain amt of touches instead of concentrating on optimizing the play call

I love the guys honesty. Lots of potential as a coach, likeable. Hope he sticks around for awhile.

They got rid of all those "triple option" zone read passes and bubbles, at least for now. How "time expensive" those must be.

• Fire 2

I'm starting to buy into Mr. Accountablility's theory that Taylor has been benched permanently , and the walking boot is to save face.

I'm not sure Bo is smart enough to come up with something like this though.

Plus, Bo likes to win football games. That's a good football team out there. They just need to execute, and the rest is all fixable.

I was kidding, but it's an interesting take. And I don't think Accountability came out and said it like that, but it was implied a couple times.

I do think it's telling that Bo insists he won't play Taylor until he's 100%. It tells us that he doesn't think a 95% Martinez is a better option than Tommy Armstrong, and it's interesting to note Armstrong is still dealing with his knee issue.

Bo has never had much of a problem playing an injured Martinez before. You can't tell me Taylor was 100% through the first 3 games. I think the timing of his decision is interesting. Just in time for a 6 week lull in the schedule to break in a new QB.

When you have a Senior QB who has started forever and a lot of weapons AND experience, it is NATURAL to want to try to do too much

Happens to almost every coach out there

More isnt better, good rule of thumb, you add something, you subtract something

Perfecting enough to constrain defenses, put them in conflict is where you want to be at IMO

BUT its not all that- some of the basic plays TA has executed much smoother than TM

Beck also admitted somewhere that he was too concerned about getting everyone a certain amt of touches instead of concentrating on optimizing the play call

I love the guys honesty. Lots of potential as a coach, likeable. Hope he sticks around for awhile.

They got rid of all those "triple option" zone read passes and bubbles, at least for now. How "time expensive" those must be.

+1 - Hey, how about that. :thumbs

Prior to this year he couldnt have been confident playing a healthy backup over a banged up Martinez. The smart move was play him against UCLA but by the 4th it should have been clear to bench him in order to heal him for conference play. I hope he gets back for NW or at latest @ Michigan.

There it is - quote from Beck today that said there is a misconception about the offense since UCLA. The staff planned to pare down the offense regardless of who was at QB.

Also clarified saying the playbook is still the same, the difference is how much of it they work on each week. They try to work 20 plays to perfection each week so they can just get out there and play on game day.

After the main throng of reporters had left Beck, the OC said he had intended to pare down the offense in the wake of the UCLA game (a 41-21 loss) regardless of Martinez’s health — because he thought Martinez would play against South Dakota State.

“I knew he was hurting after UCLA, but by Wednesday I figured he’d be practicing and we’d get him back,” Beck said. “The plan to pare it down was the plan to pare it down. It just so happens Tommy took over. The plays we ran probably would have been the same with Taylor.”

OWH Article