Martinez v. Armstrong

You forgot Fresno St and South Dakota St on be half of Taylor.

I wasn't knocking Martinez. He is a good QB. I just think with Armstrong's throwing abilities, he will be better at adjusting and making better throws.

Still not a very fair comparison to make. You're comparing someone with a 30 game data set to someone that's played three games, and as you obviously know, TM's multiple INT games have come against cupcakes but mostly exceedingly better competition. This is really only fair to revisit after TA starts and makes plays against really good teams.

I wasn't knocking Martinez. He is a good QB. I just think with Armstrong's throwing abilities, he will be better at adjusting and making better throws.

Still not a very fair comparison to make. You're comparing someone with a 30 game data set to someone that's played three games, and as you obviously know, TM's multiple INT games have come against cupcakes but mostly exceedingly better competition. This is really only fair to revisit after TA starts and makes plays against really good teams.

You make good points. This is why I also said that I am okay with his learning curve so far. Again, it wasn't so much intended to be a knock Martinez. I was actually impressed that we have won 3 of the 7 games. I wouldn't have thought this before looking at the stat.

You make good points. This is why I also said that I am okay with his learning curve so far. Again, it wasn't so much intended to be a knock Martinez. I was actually impressed that we have won 3 of the 7 games. I wouldn't have thought this before looking at the stat.

Agreed. TA has been making really good throws and also a lot of throws he's been lucky to get away with. Now that's he's made the mistake, he'll learn from it.

Here's hoping hes' back and doesn't reinjure himself. We absolutely don't need a repeat of Rex Burkhead's senior season.

Although, the parallels are interesting - when Rex went down we had Ameer to step up. When Taylor goes down, Armstrong steps up.

Depth is a really nice thing to have.

I'm not sure if this was discussed in the thread already, but I read (and I apologize, I can't remember exactly where and can't find the quote now. But here's an article referencing Beck after the game) that Beck was frustrated because Purdue's defense came out in a 3-4 defensive front that there was no film of them ever doing.

As a result, the Huskers didn't do any practice against 3-4 (and particularly 3-3-5) fronts. I'd wager that, aside from some basic installation, TA has never practiced our offense against a 3-3-5 defense (3 safeties). That'd certainly explain why he seemed to never see the safety on that early INT. If they'd practiced 2 safety formations all week, he's not even going to be thinking about it. In contrast, RKIII has been here forever, calls in plays, and has certainly practiced against a 3-3-5 many times.

Personally I'm not seeing anything in this game about TA other than what it looks like when faced with something completely unexpected. I'd say he reacted about how most freshmen would.

Personally I'm not seeing anything in this game about TA other than what it looks like when faced with something completely unexpected. I'd say he reacted about how most freshmen would.

This is entirely possible. But what's to keep any team on the rest of our schedule from doing the same thing?

I'm glad TA is getting reps. It will really help us out down the road. But hopefully we don't need him for the rest of the year.

This is entirely possible. But what's to keep any team on the rest of our schedule from doing the same thing?

I'm glad TA is getting reps. It will really help us out down the road. But hopefully we don't need him for the rest of the year.

Unless you've got a veteran defense with lots of experience playing different fronts, it is VERY difficult to just switch willy-nilly. Purdue had an extra week to prep their guys and make the switch after initial install in camp. And in case we're forgetting, they didn't really play that well (44-7). So actually, I'd love all of our opponents to try that if it we get results like that.

Taylor came on like gangbusters as a freshman. When teams learned to game plan against him it got tougher for him. Armstrong had that problem last week. Taylor can still beat a team who does that but I am not sure Armstrong is mature enough to be able to yet. Plus how do you discount those amazing come backs last year? No other quarterback in the country could have done that.

I love Armstrong and am ready to anoint him the starter next year despite all the recruits coming to Lincoln. But if Nebraska is going to have a chance at the Big Ten championship it is going to be with Taylor Martinez. Period.