Martinez v. Armstrong

Can we watch TA play against a good team before we start saying stupid ass things?

For how exciting TA is to watch, I have to agree with this. TA has done everything you'd want to see him do against the given competition, and I'm in no way predicting he'll struggle against better competition, but that's where TM and TA are so different. For TM's faults, he's got 30+ starts under his belt and tons of something TA has only a sliver of - experience.

Experience doesn't always give you the best chance to win, but again, it certainly helps. That's why I'd like to see TM come back and play if he's 100%. It really comes down to that toe because we need his running ability.

If anything, I'd say this allows us to do more with a healthy Martinez in the run game. We now know we at least have someone we can trust (TA) and then in a not-so-distant capacity RKIII.

Look what tOSU did against NW last night - they ran Miller several times in the first half (the only half I got to watch), despite his knee issues, which likely aren't fully healed. But, knowing they have an extremely reliable back-up and future starter waiting in the wings, they can do more with Miller and be comfortable.

TMart should only play if he is at 100%. IMO we should play TA for the next two games as they "should" be easy wins. With the bye week that gives TMart three weeks to heal, if he isn't 100% by then and TA is still running the offense as smoothly as it has been going, then TA really needs to be your guy for the rest of the season.

The only problem with sitting TM until Northwestern is that he could be rusty after spending over a month not having any game action. By the looks of NW, it's going to be a tough game, and I don't know if NU can spend a quarter trying to figure out if TM can play.

I think that the coaches should let TA start against Purdue, to give him some experience playing on the road. Then there is another bye week. Hopefully TM will be 100% by Minnesota week, and TM should start that game. The coaches need to see if Taylor is healthy and effective before the meat of the schedule in November.

How long as Taylor been out? 3-4 weeks so far? He should be out next week against Purdue then we have a bye. Turf toe needs rest, but the problem is I don't think a lot of people are thinking about is Taylor being out of shape. I would say after 6 or so weeks of not conditioning a player would be slower, yes Taylor could possible the fastest straight line player in the NCAA. We know what we have out of Taylor as a QB and he has reached his ceiling IMO.

Now with TA in the game I don't cringe every time he runs and throws like I do with Taylor. Yes TA had high throws yesterday but I don't remember him having high throws against SDSU. I think the high throws were because of the wind and nerves, him playing a decent team. How many punts have we had when TA is in the game? How many did we have in the WYO or Southern Miss game? TA IMO is the best option for our offense. He can take our offense down the field every drive and score. With TA in the game there aren't very many negative plays which is huge for our offense. The past couple years I remember way too many plays when we had 2nd and 20 or so. I obviously want to see TA against better opponents but I think he gives us the best chance to win games this year.

Maybe it's just me but his option reads aren't as great as I thought they would be.... And looked about as quick as Cody Green out there (who did have a 50+ yard td run his first ever play...) but his pocket presence is really friggen good. TM, when he's healthy, is our best option to win this season and the people that can't see that are naive. How many guys have you seen throw/run the ball against MSU like he did? That's something only his skill set can provide. A game manager is great, but a game changer is what wins you the big ones. After these first two games, I'm not even sure I could call TA the clear cut favorite at QB for next year and am more than excited at seeing what JS can do. Hell if we get Flowers, you could see a True Freshman play next year if he's as good as advertised.

But as for this year, I'd much rather play a guy who has given us some of the best wins this program has seen in 10+ years over a guy who has manged a game against two Juggernaut defenses like the ones we've played.

Maybe it's just me but his option reads aren't as great as I thought they would be....

He did a great job on the option yesterday. What I was impressed with is a couple of times Illinois defended it perfectly and took away both him and the pitch man and he just ate the ball. Instead of trying to force a pitch or fumble he just tucked it in for a short loss. Incredibly smart play from TA yesterday.

Taylor will be the starter when he returns, but TA playing this well could push Taylor. Now Bo and Beck are going to know that they have a capable QB to bring in if Taylor doesn't have his act together.

I would think the real controversey would be Armstrong vs. Kellogg. Kellog is by far not the runner that either Martinez or Armstrong is. But with an offensive line that is showing real push (plus or second offensive line downfield we have with our blocking receivers), I think Abdullah, Cross, and Newby can handle any and all of the running chores...

...which brings us to passing. Kellogg is a better passer. Better in the pocket, better in going through the reads, stronger arm, better touch, more accurate, and better at reading the defenses. As good as our running backs are this year, our receivers are an even more formidable weapon. If Kellog gives Enunwa, Bell, Turner, and some pretty good receivers behind them more opportunities for big plays, then I would go with Kellogg.

So to summarize: I would take a quarterback with 75% less running ability and has 25% more passing ability with the team we have right now...and I think Kellogg is less mistake prone than Armstrong or Martinez.

I would think the real controversey would be Armstrong vs. Kellogg. Kellog is by far not the runner that either Martinez or Armstrong is. But with an offensive line that is showing real push (plus or second offensive line downfield we have with our blocking receivers), I think Abdullah, Cross, and Newby can handle any and all of the running chores...

...which brings us to passing. Kellogg is a better passer. Better in the pocket, better in going through the reads, stronger arm, better touch, more accurate, and better at reading the defenses. As good as our running backs are this year, our receivers are an even more formidable weapon. If Kellog gives Enunwa, Bell, Turner, and some pretty good receivers behind them more opportunities for big plays, then I would go with Kellogg.

So to summarize: I would take a quarterback with 75% less running ability and has 25% more passing ability with the team we have right now...and I think Kellogg is less mistake prone than Armstrong or Martinez.

I see your point about our running backs being talented but with TA defenses have to guess if he will pass or run, with Kellog in obviously he's gonna pass so the defense focus' more on passing. IMO TA is our best quarterback to run this offense. When TA is in a feel confident we will score on that drive but when Kellog came in during the 2nd quarter the offense seemed flat. I know it's hard to come in off the sideline after standing there for a quarter or so but our offense gets in a rhythm that I don't think the defense can stop.

Pro for TA:

- Much better handling pocket pressure.

- Option plays .... so far good decisions. Just the opposite for TMart

Cons:

- Much slower runner than TMart. Perhaps leftover knee surgery?

The bolded is relatively unsubstantiated (I assume you're comparing TA to TM). The defenses TA has faced have been very poor. TA has done well, don't get me wrong, but that's not a fair comparison to make.

The rest I agree with, but I think we should cool the jets on the surgery issue. Though the injury was a very real thing, it sounded a lot like speculation by the broadcaster.

If Martinez isn't 100% then he should sit, imo. If he isn't a legitimate running threat then he really doesn't have that much to offer. He's not a very good passer, especially for passes longer than 5-10 yards, he makes a lot of poor decisions, and he commits WAY too many turnovers. Can we just stick Martinez in at receiver or something and keep starting Armstrong?