Martinez v. Armstrong

Something for the "condensed playbook" skeptics:

Know what was really smart? That Beck designed a game plan in Nebraska's 39-19 victory against Illinois that gave quarterback Tommy Armstrong easy throws from start to finish. Most of them off play-action. All of them provided Armstrong — who usually threw on his toes without following through with his lead foot — an open option down the middle or to his strong, right side.

If Armstrong threw left the entire game, my amateur review of the game didn't see it. If he did, it had to have been by a few feet at best. And the two biggest option plays — pitches to Ameer Abdullah — were both to Armstrong's right, too.

After rewatching the win, I think it's time to be a little more realistic about Armstrong's play. He's gifted, sturdy — and still a redshirt freshman.

OWH McKewon Article

Ok. so why the hell dont we dial it down like that for Martinez, because the fact of the matter is that these last two games-regardless of competition-the offense has been as consistently efficient as it's ever been in the Bo Peline era. Outside of Idaho St in 2012, I cant think of a single game since Bo has been here where the offense marched up and down the field from start to finish and as efficiently as it has the last two game. If this is a result of a game plan that gives Tommy (and Ron) easy throws start to finish, then I ask, why in the hell are we not doing that with Taylor. This is stupid. Overcomplication on the offense. And here's that "jack of all trades, master of none" that True alludes too.

Know what was really smart? That Beck designed a game plan in Nebraska's 39-19 victory against Illinois that gave quarterback Tommy Armstrong easy throws from start to finish. Most of them off play-action. All of them provided Armstrong — who usually threw on his toes without following through with his lead foot — an open option down the middle or to his strong, right side.

If Armstrong threw left the entire game, my amateur review of the game didn't see it. If he did, it had to have been by a few feet at best. And the two biggest option plays — pitches to Ameer Abdullah — were both to Armstrong's right, too.

After rewatching the win, I think it's time to be a little more realistic about Armstrong's play. He's gifted, sturdy — and still a redshirt freshman.

OWH McKewon Article

Ok. so why the hell dont we dial it down like that for Martinez, because the fact of the matter is that these last two games-regardless of competition-the offense has been as consistently efficient as it's ever been in the Bo Peline era. Outside of Idaho St in 2012, I cant think of a single game since Bo has been here where the offense marched up and down the field from start to finish and as efficiently as it has the last two game. If this is a result of a game plan that gives Tommy (and Ron) easy throws start to finish, then I ask, why in the hell are we not doing that with Taylor. This is stupid. Overcomplication on the offense. And here's that "jack of all trades, master of none" that True alludes too.

Fire Beck? lol

I don't know, Oregon does the same thing to a T. Simple, quick, efficient. A healthy Martinez in that Duck O would flourish in ways Tommy couldn't but in the long haul TA may be the better fit scheme wise here when he picks up our "MULTIPLE??" offense.

OWH McKewon Article

I agree about these being the most efficient offensive outputs consecutively in BP's era with TA and Kellogg. I don't buy into it being a result of soft schedule reasoning that some are saying. Taylor's offense has had at least 3 games like that per season prior to conference games. And a few softies as conference opponents as well. That being said, I haven't seen the 5-10 bubble screens per game, or the QB option - sideline pass that the Huskers have done often since last year. If anything, the playbook has included more vertical passes. Downfield passing. If complicated means more quick horizontal throws, well than I prefer what we've seen the past few weeks. When Taylor returns, I just hope they never call those screen passes again. If they do, then it must mean that defenses are putting more guys in the box again and forcing the Huskers to convert first downs and sustain drives through the air. Which also means they can't run as effectively. And that's another added issue.

OWH McKewon Article

I agree about these being the most efficient offensive outputs consecutively in BP's era with TA and Kellogg. I don't buy into it being a result of soft schedule reasoning that some are saying. Taylor's offense has had at least 3 games like that per season prior to conference games. And a few softies as conference opponents as well. That being said, I haven't seen the 5-10 bubble screens per game, or the QB option - sideline pass that the Huskers have done often since last year. If anything, the playbook has included more vertical passes. Downfield passing. If complicated means more quick horizontal throws, well than I prefer what we've seen the past few weeks. When Taylor returns, I just hope they never call those screen passes again. If they do, then it must mean that defenses are putting more guys in the box again and forcing the Huskers to convert first downs and sustain drives through the air. Which also means they can't run as effectively. And that's another added issue.

If Taylor does return, I hope we continue with the dialed down playbook. Let the other team load the box and hopefully we will try the downfield throws that TA and Ron have been doing. That would loosen up the D before those sideline passes would.

Tommy's abilty to check down. Taylor struggles in that area. I really think that is why the offense looks to gel more with Tommy. With that said Martinez has the abilty to take it to the house at anytime. Tommy will get you some positive yards, but is not going to out run a DB.

I still think Martinez is the guy, but I think he will be on a very short leash & coaches will be less worried about an injury to him.

Bo said in an interview published in the LJS today- that said basically that Matinez can run at about 100% now, but he cant "put his foot in the ground" and get instant acceleration. That TM didnt have confidence in his foot yet to be able to stick that foot in the ground and take off. So running from a-b off of a running start, sounds like he is ok. But to do what a football player has to do and at QB in this offense has to do, nope. And speaking from the standpoint of someone that has had turf toe I completely get where TM is at, it's not that he is "soft". It's one of those weird injuries and things that is just hard to explain unless youve had it. AND BTW once youve had it, it's really easy for it to flare up again.

I'd be surprised to see Taylor play this weekend. It's Purdue. They may be the worst opponent we play all year. Better to give him another week (two with the bye) to rest the toe, then get the rust knocked off at Minnesota.

Armstrong hasn't done anything so far to make anyone think he can't get it done. Even if he's stinking up the joint, Kellogg should be able to move that offense down the field.

Heck, I think I could suit up and move this offense with Imani, Ameer, Newby, Bell, Enunwa, Westerkamp, Turner, etc, etc, etc.

Tommy's abilty to check down. Taylor struggles in that area. I really think that is why the offense looks to gel more with Tommy. With that said Martinez has the abilty to take it to the house at anytime. Tommy will get you some positive yards, but is not going to out run a DB.

I still think Martinez is the guy, but I think he will be on a very short leash & coaches will be less worried about an injury to him.

For the bolded, McKewon wrote an article giving a more realistic approach to TA's playing. Though TA has done a really good job, he's been running some very simplified things. Many of his passes are thrown to the stronger, right side of his body on the field. The two big option plays, one of which went for a touchdown last week - run to TA's right side. Heavy emphasis on moving the offense to the right side of the field right now. Simplification can be good in some ways, but it also shows a TA lead offense is probably a little too limited because of it.

McKewon also pointed out there was at least one play where TM likely would have scored and that a couple of passes TA threw sailed because of the elements, something TM likely would have been able to adjust for and complete, due to experience. Also pointed out TA did very little planting with his lead foot to complete a throw, which could be just mechanics or what the broadcaster speculated was lingering confidence issues in the knee. Against better teams, those passes could get picked.

So, as we've all been discussing, the biggest key is TM's injury and how it limits him. I can't speak for TA's checkdown abilities in comparison to TM's, but even if it is better, that's probably one of the very few things that is.

I just hope TM plays this weekend if not start in it to get back in the role again. Purdue is the perfect opponent for him to get some reps in to see where he is. If he doesn't look so good then just put in TA which I prefer to start to get the offense going.

I actually completely disagree although I see where you are coming from. I think if Taylor were to play in this game and re- aggravate the injury, you would really have some people questioning why he was in there at all. I think this schedule has set up perfectly to allow Taylor to heal and also give some valuable reps to TA. At this point, why risk reinjuring Taylor in a game where I truly feel he is not needed.

• Fire 1

Ahman Green got a case of turf toe early in '96. He missed a few game completely here and there, and it hampered him the rest of the season. He was never the same that year, and, after the Colorado game that year, he did not even play in the CCG and bowl game. And he was an absolute beast.

Edit: I also now recall him have a little knee issue at some point that year as well.

Ahman Green got a case of turf toe early in '96. He missed a few game completely here and there, and it hampered him the rest of the season. He was never the same that year, and, after the Colorado game that year, he did not even play in the CCG and bowl game. And he was an absolute beast.

Edit: I also now recall him have a little knee issue at some point that year as well.

THAT IS WHAT I KEEP telling people

If you havent had the injury you dont get how serious it actually is. To the point you FEAR running on turf and "stubbing" your toe, stepped on, not a big deal, stubbing it on the turf which catches everything, Its not one you can play through without significantly affecting how you play.

Enough to take a grown man to his knees when you stub it again. Easier to play on grass with it IMO

These yahoos that want to send TM right back out there- this isnt a hangnail kiss it, rub some dirt on it, rest it for a week and its all better injury

No reason for Martinez to play this week and possibly make the injury any worse. Taylor may never fully recover from it either. If I recall correctly, Roy Helu first got turf toe his Senior year at Nebraska and missed some playing time. It's a problem that's been hampering him ever since. He had to sit out all of last year for the Redskins because he re-aggravated it. That should tell you how long it truly takes for Turf Toe to go away, if ever. Let's give Martinez as much time as he needs to get that foot as close to 100% as possible. Especially when you're playing powerhouses like Turdue.