Student section

Apathy

I would have to agree with MOST of what Knapp said

Not sure how you can cram more people into a row with just 18 inches of butt room allotted for each person

I stand and yell support louder and more consistent than most. Ive only ever heard "sit down" 1 time in 40+ years of attending games and I understand why they said it.

Not sure where all the "sit down" people are at, while my season tickets have always been the same, Ive given them up to family members and sat in all other sections of the stadium- its a very wide and deep sample size. I just have never heard it. My dad, grandfather and uncle are the oldest guys Ive ever gone to a game with and they were probably the loudest and most consistent guys in the row.

Will have to disagree with Knapp a bit on loudness. Yes it CAN get loud at NU, but it hasnt been ultra loud for a long time. I remember my Uncle having to hold his hands to his ears and having my ears be ringing after games.

Ive also been to quite a few away games and there are louder stadiums, even ones that were smaller than ours off the top of my head: KSU early (my ears were ringing after the game) , A&M, Washington was even pretty loud, but its so open you dont get the full effect. Ive been to see Bama (in Birmingham) and Florida play, they are louder too.

Loudest Ive heard it lately:

2006 Texas

2008 Colorado

Ever:

1977 Alabama

1978 Oklahoma

1986 Florida State

1992 Colorado

Regarding the noise - I agree there are louder stadiums, and Memorial has never been amongst the loudest. That said we've been pretty loud, and were exceedingly loud during the first quarter of the UCLA game. There was a reverberation in that stadium I don't think I've ever heard, which may have something to do with the East Stadium addition.

That stadium will get louder as the play on the field gets better. As the play gets worse, the stadium gets quieter, and that happens everywhere. We're not robots and the team shouldn't expect the fans to give all they have cheering when it's quite clear the team on the field isn't giving their all. It's not a chicken-or-the-egg thing, the noise is a direct reflection of what happens on that field.

I went to Washington and was disappointed about the noise. I had heard that because of the over hangs, it was one of the loudest stadiums in the country. Maybe it was where I was sitting but I didn't think it was really that loud.

As for Nebraska, It isn't even a matter of if the team is playing bad or not. It's if it is a close game or a big game. Probably the loudest games I remember was a CU game after Thanksgiving once and both of us were fairly highly ranked. It was a night game with drizzling rain. At the time, I thought it was the loudest I had ever heard it here. OSU during the come back was pretty dang loud too.

Husker games can get extremely loud. But, it depends on what is happening on the field, who the other team is and what the score is.

I used to be able to go to one game per year. For some reason, it often ended up being the KU game when they sucked. We were playing well and beating them handily. You could honestly hear a conversation from two sections over.

This picture doesn't show it very well. But, there are at least 5 rows empty in most east section, 8-10 in next, and 12-15 in third. 45 may have been a little bit of an exaggeration but actually if they were there sitting in the North endzone counting and had a good view like me, it's entirely possible. I didn't count but 40-45 I'd say is about right. As I've said before, it was by far the worst I have EVER seen it in my memory except for a few games in 2007.

My regular seats are in the North end zone and I've looked across at that student section dozens of times. That screen shot doesn't look wildly different than what it always looks like. A little more sparse, I'll agree, but not egregiously so.

I didn't go to the Illinois game so the way people were talking in this thread I was expecting about half the section to be empty. Instead I see that picture and I'm wondering why all the extra fuss this time.

My regular seats are in the North end zone and I've looked across at that student section dozens of times. That screen shot doesn't look wildly different than what it always looks like. A little more sparse, I'll agree, but not egregiously so.

I didn't go to the Illinois game so the way people were talking in this thread I was expecting about half the section to be empty. Instead I see that picture and I'm wondering why all the extra fuss this time.

Well the team played a lot better this week so we have to find something to bi*ch about :sarcasm lol It wasn't too bad at the beginning of the game and by the 3rd quarter the entire stadium was emptying out it's not just on the students.

I would have to agree with MOST of what Knapp said

If you're talking about the student section, it's pretty easy to cram people in. My freshman year back in the day I had south stadium tickets and if you were in the first 40 rows you were smashed together on the bench and people were standing in the ilses in between benches. You were lucky if you had a comfortable seat at half time. In East stadium it's not quite as bad except for big games, but some students also sneak over to east. The last Oklahoma game was terrible, You had to stand sideways and people were standing on the stairs and in the isles.

Not to mention that I think this generation of students does not exactly have their hopes and dreams pinned on Husker football. These kids grew up with the Frank Solich and Callahan era... not exactly the same pedigree as the 70s, 80s and 90s where NU was consistently in the title hunt.

Thus Bo's comments about f'ing fairweather fans????

btw- I agree with the assessment, but I just couldn't resist.

I went to the game and a major issue are the greeks. Most sorority girls are only there to be seen and leave as soon as they can, frat guys are usually more interested in drinking especially for a game like this. As soon as the homecoming king/queen were announced it was like a stampede of students leaving and no one really gives a crap about the homecoming king/queen except greeks...

Boy things really have changed. I was in a frat and we didn't give two sh#ts about homecoming king & queen? That is just lame.