Student section

Apathy

If they do not want to come to the games, it is their business. Time to give the seats to fans who want to come to the games.

You mean to people who can come and complain to people standing up and making too much noise?

As Enhance said, what's the difference between the people who show up and sit on their asses and make hardly any noise than the students who stand the whole time and make a lot of noise?

Hundreds of thousands of dollars of full season ticket payments and booster donations. Use it or lose it kids, because if this happens a few more times, they will take seats away from you to sell to regular season ticket holders. They won't take the tops rows either, they will take the bottom ones and move you guys up. It happened in the 90's, it can happen again.

Doubtful. If the athletic department doesn't understand the extenuating circumstances behind why the students don't take up the top rows, then they are really, really stupid.

At one time the student section was about 14,000 if my memory is right with the same attitude you have. Keep it up and they will whittle it down 6000. The only people who are stupid are the students who think nothing will happen if that top stays empty. The athletic dept doesn't see empty student seats because of extenuating circumstances, they see empty seats to sell to season ticket holders next year.

This is what I find hilarious about students, they live in that utopian state and not a sense of life post graduation and how money moves the world.

If they do not want to come to the games, it is their business. Time to give the seats to fans who want to come to the games.

You mean to people who can come and complain to people standing up and making too much noise?

As Enhance said, what's the difference between the people who show up and sit on their asses and make hardly any noise than the students who stand the whole time and make a lot of noise?

Hundreds of thousands of dollars of full season ticket payments and booster donations. Use it or lose it kids, because if this happens a few more times, they will take seats away from you to sell to regular season ticket holders. They won't take the tops rows either, they will take the bottom ones and move you guys up. It happened in the 90's, it can happen again.

Doubtful. If the athletic department doesn't understand the extenuating circumstances behind why the students don't take up the top rows, then they are really, really stupid.

At one time the student section was about 14,000 if my memory is right with the same attitude you have. Keep it up and they will whittle it down 6000. The only people who are stupid are the students who think nothing will happen if that top stays empty. The athletic dept doesn't see empty student seats because of extenuating circumstances, they see empty seats to sell to season ticket holders next year.

This is what I find hilarious about students, they live in that utopian state and not a sense of life post graduation and how money moves the world.

Is that necessarily our fault?

At least they would be full. It's an eyesore to have that huge empty space at the top of South stadium.

If they weren't jammed 90 rows up in the farthest corner of the stadium I bet more students would be inclined to actually go to games.

Exactly the problem:

Entitlement.

Just stop.

1380845_446282908821911_152947457_n.jpg

Talk about using something to prove your point while ignoring the other important facts about that picture as well.

4th quarter, we're up 24.

It looked like that all across the stadium, too. It's funny how just the students get all the blame for this.

I had a job and paid for many of my own things starting after the age of 16, but even I didn't have a real value/appreciation for money until I got a full time job and started taking care of everything on my own. And that was even with parents that tried to make me understand it. They did a good job but IMHO it doesn't sink in until you actually have to do it.

From my viewpoint, I'd say that's true for many college kids.

Curious who you would like to blame it on.

No blame, really. It is possible to talk about fault and then not assign blame to anyone. It's just the circumstance that we find ourselves in. Again, no blame.

I feel like I need to add that this doesn't hold true for all students--there is definitely a group of people who understand the value of money.

No blame, really. It is possible to talk about fault and then not assign blame to anyone. It's just the circumstance that we find ourselves in. Again, no blame.

I feel like I need to add that this doesn't hold true for all students--there is definitely a group of people who understand the value of money.

Understanding how money is used and the literal value of it is one thing, understanding the full impact on life is another. Enhance said it best a couple of posts up. This is where I don't think you truly understand why what HSKRs said is a real possibility. You just blew it off in your reply without a thought. The Athletic Department doesn't have to allocate seats at a reduced price for students; heck considering their number one job is to make money off of the product so they can support all of their teams, it would make sense to take away this privilege from the students. It is a privilege to get the opportunity to attend the games at a reduced cost, there is no bylaw or contract stating they have to give a fixed number of students cheap tickets. The reality is, if students don't understand that with privileges come responsibilities they will lose those privileges as money will drive certain choices. Call me a soapbox hater or whatever you like, frankly I don't have skin in this game, but don't be pissed if or when this happens.

Would you rather have empty seats in the student section, or have the student section filled mostly with the opposing team's fans? When I was in college during all those NC's, most of the student section for the CU game was CU fans because most of us students went home for Thanksgiving and sold our tickets for big bucks to CU fans.

Understanding how money is used and the literal value of it is one thing, understanding the full impact on life is another. Enhance said it best a couple of posts up. This is where I don't think you truly understand why what HSKRs said is a real possibility. You just blew it off in your reply without a thought. The Athletic Department doesn't have to allocate seats at a reduced price for students; heck considering their number one job is to make money off of the product so they can support all of their teams, it would make sense to take away this privilege from the students. It is a privilege to get the opportunity to attend the games at a reduced cost, there is no bylaw or contract stating they have to give a fixed number of students cheap tickets. The reality is, if students don't understand that with privileges come responsibilities they will lose those privileges as money will drive certain choices. Call me a soapbox hater or whatever you like, frankly I don't have skin in this game, but don't be pissed if or when this happens.

I won't. I'm a senior here and chances are any change will be implemented long after I'm gone so quite frankly I don't give a sh*t about what the athletic department does.

What about the plenty of other season ticket holders whom I saw either (1) not show up or (2) leaving just as early as the students were? Should the athletic department take away their tickets and give them to other people because they decided to leave early? Or should they not care as much because those people know the value of a dollar?

Let me make this perfectly clear: I understand that it isn't good when you have a good majority of students not show up for a game. It looks bad. And the athletic department could very well make more money by reducing the number of student tickets and increasing the number of regular tickets. But if you can't understand the extenuating circumstances which factor into WHY there weren't as many students at the game, then maybe you should take the time to reconsider your view.

If you need help doing that, think back to the UCLA game. If you want student commitment, look at that game. If we are still undefeated in the Big Ten, take a look at the student section for the game against Northwestern.

I won't. I'm a senior here and chances are any change will be implemented long after I'm gone so quite frankly I don't give a sh*t about what the athletic department does.

What about the plenty of other season ticket holders whom I saw either (1) not show up or (2) leaving just as early as the students were? Should the athletic department take away their tickets and give them to other people because they decided to leave early? Or should they not care as much because those people know the value of a dollar?

Let me make this perfectly clear: I understand that it isn't good when you have a good majority of students not show up for a game. It looks bad. And the athletic department could very well make more money by reducing the number of student tickets and increasing the number of regular tickets. But if you can't understand the extenuating circumstances which factor into WHY there weren't as many students at the game, then maybe you should take the time to reconsider your view.

If you need help doing that, think back to the UCLA game. If you want student commitment, look at that game. If we are still undefeated in the Big Ten, take a look at the student section for the game against Northwestern.

Well if you choose not to care, that is your choice. It is a bit puzzling then why you are defending your fellow students if you don't care however.

Regarding your second point, that is a completely different conversation with a different set of discussion points. Trying to compare fans that paid full market price for a seat and chose to leave early vs. students who got tickets way below market value and chose not to come is a whole different argument.

As far as understanding the “extenuating circumstances” you listed, I completely understand why those could play a factor but they aren’t extenuating regarding the responsibility of the privilege. What you are not seeing is for the students to retain their privilege, these factors aren’t good enough. This is where responsibility that comes with the privilege supersedes making the easy/lazy choice. If the students don’t want to accept the responsibility, then they shouldn’t complain when the AD takes that privilege away.

Yes the students seemed to be in full force for the UCLA game, but that is only 1 game out of 8 home games this year. Most years it is only 7 games, frankly that isn’t a whole lot of games. Only 7 times all academic year is the privilege available, it doesn’t seem all that tough to me to show up to all 7 games or at least go through the proper channels to give someone else the ticket if you are not able to for that game.

Well if you choose not to care, that is your choice. It is a bit puzzling then why you are defending your fellow students if you don't care however.

Regarding your second point, that is a completely different conversation with a different set of discussion points. Trying to compare fans that paid full market price for a seat and chose to leave early vs. students who got tickets way below market value and chose not to come is a whole different argument.

As far as understanding the “extenuating circumstances” you listed, I completely understand why those could play a factor but they aren’t extenuating regarding the responsibility of the privilege. What you are not seeing is for the students to retain their privilege, these factors aren’t good enough. This is where responsibility that comes with the privilege supersedes making the easy/lazy choice. If the students don’t want to accept the responsibility, then they shouldn’t complain when the AD takes that privilege away.

Yes the students seemed to be in full force for the UCLA game, but that is only 1 game out of 8 home games this year. Most years it is only 7 games, frankly that isn’t a whole lot of games. Only 7 times all academic year is the privilege available, it doesn’t seem all that tough to me to show up to all 7 games or at least go through the proper channels to give someone else the ticket if you are not able to for that game.

Listen, if you can't understand what I'm saying, then perhaps we need to end this stupid conversation. Bitching about the student section and JUST the student section is ridiculous. The team won the game did they not?