What would the Husker Horseshoe be worth if were to be auctioned?

knapplc

What would the Husker Horseshoe be worth if were to be auctioned?   

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How long has the horseshoe been there?

The story goes that the horseshoe was found in the dirt when the Husker played Notre Dame in 1922 at Nebraska Field, Memorial Stadium's predecessor. The Huskers beat Notre Dame that year. When the two teams met again in 1923 the Huskers touched the "lucky horseshoe" on their way to the field before the game. It worked, and the Huskers won again, making them the only team in history to have defeated the vaunted "Four Horsemen" twice.

It was hung up over the doorway leading out of the locker room after that year so the players could easily touch it as they entered Memorial Stadium, and it's been there ever since.

• Fire 2

The story goes that the horseshoe was found in the dirt when the Husker played Notre Dame in 1922 at Nebraska Field, Memorial Stadium's predecessor. The Huskers beat Notre Dame that year. When the two teams met again in 1923 the Huskers touched the "lucky horseshoe" on their way to the field before the game. It worked, and the Huskers won again, making them the only team in history to have defeated the vaunted "Four Horsemen" twice.

It was hung up over the doorway leading out of the locker room after that year so the players could easily touch it as they entered Memorial Stadium, and it's been there ever since.

Thanks Knapp. Didn't know that one. It would be interesting to try to scrounge photos of where and how it's been hung for all the years....

I have some touch-up paintwork to do to my shoe, but once done it will be pretty darned close to the actual factual shoe.

What totally stinks is that I can't put my shoe above my door. No door in my house has more than 18" between the door jamb and the ceiling. At the moment it's leaning up against my desk in my office, on the floor.

That is literally just f'ing cool and something I honestly did not know. I knew we beat the Four Horsemen, which I thought was cool in itself, but if that thing has been hanging for that long, then wow, some legends have put their hands on it.

That to me makes it priceless.