Recruiting Concerns

What was so great about them? There's some talent sprinkled about but we're hardly loaded. This year we're mediocre on offense and bad on defense.

Bo has had to play a bunch of young players on D because of his poor recruiting in the 2009-2011 classes. Having to depend on a bunch of freshmen to save him is not an enviable position, but he put himself there.

Like in 2010 and 2011 where we finally had top 25-20 classes? Remember, those guys are sophomores and redshirt freshman now.

actually most of those highly ranked prospects are at other teams now. I think we have a serious issue in this years recruiting and going over the recruits who are still interested in NU, its looking bleak.

If you want to start bashing on recruiting, maybe you should be intelligent before you do it. The recruits we have offered now are the only recruits we are going to offer the entire rest of the year, aren't they? Well we're just screwed. Fire Bo. This staff can't evaluate talent and can't get any on campus.

Go look at Ameer Abdullah's recruiting profile.

Go look at Imani Cross' recruiting profile.

Would you be so kind as to read me the dates those profiles were created? Because I'm 100% certain Imani's was made late late December and Ameer's early January.

So if you want to keep grasping at straws and freaking out over the recruiting situation in early November, you might want to study a little bit before you try to argue any further.

• Fire 2

What was so great about them? There's some talent sprinkled about but we're hardly loaded. This year we're mediocre on offense and bad on defense.

Bo has had to play a bunch of young players on D because of his poor recruiting in the 2009-2011 classes. Having to depend on a bunch of freshmen to save him is not an enviable position, but he put himself there.

Like in 2010 and 2011 where we finally had top 25-20 classes? Remember, those guys are sophomores and redshirt freshman now.

actually most of those highly ranked prospects are at other teams now. I think we have a serious issue in this years recruiting and going over the recruits who are still interested in NU, its looking bleak.

If you want to start bashing on recruiting, maybe you should be intelligent before you do it. The recruits we have offered now are the only recruits we are going to offer the entire rest of the year, aren't they? Well we're just screwed. Fire Bo. This staff can't evaluate talent and can't get any on campus.

Would you be so kind as to read me the dates those profiles were created? Because I'm 100% certain Imani's was made late late December and Ameer's early January.

So if you want to keep grasping at straws and freaking out over the recruiting situation in early November, you might want to study a little bit before you try to argue any further.

:box

I'm going to do you a favor and just go through the list for you. Keep in mind when the profile was created coincides with when players received their offers.

Corey Whitaker, January 22nd

Imani Cross, December 25th

LeRoy Alexander, December 17th

Aaron Curry, December 28th

Ameer Abdullah, January 6th

Joe Carter, November 28th

Mauro Bondi, January 24th

David Sutton, January 31st

Lavonte David, November 18th

Jake Cotton, November 10th

Brion Carnes, January 10th

Kenny Bell, December 10th

Now, did all these guys work out? No. But to think you can call a recruiting class pathetic and start putting blame on coaches in early November is ludicrous. Talk to me after signing day and we'll see. Oh, and it'd be nice if you hung around the recruiting section a little before you tried to jump into an argument you're not too well versed on.

• Fire 1

:box

These discussions just get me going EZ-E. If there's one thing this staff CAN do, it's evaluate talent, and they're damn good at it. So when one thing goes wrong midseason and people (who I've never seen in here before) want to jump into the recruiting section and tell everyone that this staff can't recruit and that's the reason for the problem, I get a little upset.

• Fire 1

I remember the thoughts about the 2012 class as well. We had people up in arms about it. Turns out that we signed a top to bottom very good class that year.

That class caused panic becuase of the low numbers if I recall. We only signed 17 I think? People were all freaked out by that since the big dogs were signing 25-30. But apparently addition and subtraction are too much to ask for when we had a senior class of 29 guys from Bo's first 2 classes. I find the recruiting panic year after year comical. Even Sean Callahan-who analyzes this stuff for a living mind you-got a chuckle out this growing panic on Big Red Wrap up on night. I think his exact words were "We go through this every year".

Sean has been doing it a long time and has probably heard it all. I know people that know Sean from back when he was working for Mike Minter's recruiting service before that type of deal became illegal.

We had a ton of targets pop up late last year and the year before and we signed very solid classes. Nobody at this point last year knew about Suttles (I know he isn't here anymore) and Chongo. The year before, nobody had heard of Imani Cross before early January. The year before nobody had heard of a guy by the name of Ameer Abdullah before mid-January.

ESPN.com ranked Abdullah as the No. 128 prospect nationally at the position. Now is a top 5 rusher and a back to back 1000yards rusher...before his SR. year.

E-ZE (or anyone who knows), I don't follow recruiting all that much but a while back i asked about Terrell Clinkscales (Spelling?). Some one told me they didn't know much about the situation but he got a Bama offer and said he had some interest in us before the bama offer have you heard or seen anything about him? He's a JUCO DT.

He's got an NU offer and I believe a visit is in the works.

Everyone understands bo and the staff can recognize and evaluate talent very well but what the major concern is bo has yet to attract major talent. The youth on this team is promising but is it national title promising or 4 losses a year promising? At some point you need game changers. The old saying in college being about the jimmys and joes and not the Xs and Os comes to mind. Go up and down the roster and tell me how many guys can put on a Bama helmet today and make a difference. If im a coach i want to be in the business of winning championships not outback bowls. Its a joke that we are talking about flipping a guy from ULL not say he isnt a good player he actually reminds me of E Martin but you dont see Bama LSU or FSU fighting for ULL players. This far into the game bo should be selling the program and his vision better and thats all it is to it, wins help but say what you want Kentucky aint winning, tennesse aint winning and Kevin Sumlin didnt need a full season to get the players he wanted and they have all outrecruited us recently

• Fire 1

Everyone understands bo and the staff can recognize and evaluate talent very well but what the major concern is bo has yet to attract major talent. The youth on this team is promising but is it national title promising or 4 losses a year promising? At some point you need game changers. The old saying in college being about the jimmys and joes and not the Xs and Os comes to mind. Go up and down the roster and tell me how many guys can put on a Bama helmet today and make a difference. If im a coach i want to be in the business of winning championships not outback bowls. Its a joke that we are talking about flipping a guy from ULL not say he isnt a good player he actually reminds me of E Martin but you dont see Bama LSU or FSU fighting for ULL players. This far into the game bo should be selling the program and his vision better and thats all it is to it, wins help but say what you want Kentucky aint winning, tennesse aint winning and Kevin Sumlin didnt need a full season to get the players he wanted and they have all outrecruited us recently

Again.

Deion Jones. A two-star guy deep in Louisiana that no one wanted to take notice of. A player ULL was very interested in. He SUCKED apparently. So much so he commited to Nebraska, because, you know, we suck. Deion had had a great senior season, as our staff knew he would, and Deion bolted when LSU threw him an offer. You know when that offer came? November 20th. A late offer? What? Now, Deion is having a pretty decent year on the LSU defense, splitting time fairly equally with fellow 2012 linebacker Kwon Alexander who was regarded as one of the best linebackers in that class.

So, is there anything else I can disprove for you haters today?

Edit: I decided to bold your statement because I'm confused. Major talent? Can you give me your definition of major talent? Are you trying to go off what Rivals/Scout tells you is major talent? Because that is one flawed, biased system my friend.

Again.

Deion Jones. A two-star guy deep in Louisiana that no one wanted to take notice of. A player ULL was very interested in. He SUCKED apparently. So much so he commited to Nebraska, because, you know, we suck. Deion had a great senior season, as our staff knew he would, and Deion bolted when LSU threw him an offer. You know when that offer came? November 20th. A late offer? What? Now, Deion is having a pretty decent year on the LSU defense, splitting time fairly equally with fellow 2012 linebacker Kwon Alexander who was regarded as one of the best linebackers in that class.

I remember stating the exact same thing awhile ago ;)

Again.

Deion Jones. A two-star guy deep in Louisiana that no one wanted to take notice of. A player ULL was very interested in. He SUCKED apparently. So much so he commited to Nebraska, because, you know, we suck. Deion had a great senior season, as our staff knew he would, and Deion bolted when LSU threw him an offer. You know when that offer came? November 20th. A late offer? What? Now, Deion is having a pretty decent year on the LSU defense, splitting time fairly equally with fellow 2012 linebacker Kwon Alexander who was regarded as one of the best linebackers in that class.

I remember stating the exact same thing awhile ago ;)

I haven't read the whole thread, just these posts today. Sorry if I'm stealing your stuff EZ-E. He's much more knowlegable than me, so you guys know.

CREDIT TO EZ-E ON THE DEBO. Haha sorry man.

Again.

Deion Jones. A two-star guy deep in Louisiana that no one wanted to take notice of. A player ULL was very interested in. He SUCKED apparently. So much so he commited to Nebraska, because, you know, we suck. Deion had had a great senior season, as our staff knew he would, and Deion bolted when LSU threw him an offer. You know when that offer came? November 20th. A late offer? What? Now, Deion is having a pretty decent year on the LSU defense, splitting time fairly equally with fellow 2012 linebacker Kwon Alexander who was regarded as one of the best linebackers in that class.

Edit: I decided to bold your statement because I'm confused. Major talent? Can you give me your definition of major talent? Are you trying to go off what Rivals/Scout tells you is major talent? Because that is one flawed, biased system my friend.

Did you not read the part where i stated bo can recognize talent?????? ok we were onto a guy LSU stole from us it fits my point also. just because i made a statement doesnt mean its never happened, Im sorry you feel the need to put out every message board fire you see. Major talent in my opinion is what some guys call prototype height weight speed guys that translate to the next level. We have talent on the roster but how many are day 1 draft day type of guys? Bo's recruiting classes are great foundation peices but other Lavonte David how many guys on defense have been plug and play guys in the NFL. Our recruiting classes would make many teams happy and im not saying the roster is bare but we lack players that are game changers.Try to discredit me all you want but we all know there are different classes of athletes and until we get the guys who can play anywhere anytime we will continue this long drag of not being able to get over the hump

Also I never said anything about our team or talent SUCKING or a guy SUCKS because he is interested in ULL because sometimes you gotta like the girl who likes you

I think a lot of any perceived failures of Bo recruiting has a lot to do w him being a first time

HC.

There's just a different level to step up to from just being DC or whtever. The first couple years were a little harsh. He redshirted every player his first year except Baker, right? I can't remember but it was most of em.

He was trying to build a foundation of having senior laden teams. As it turns out, he's learning he needs to find some guys who can play right away and live w rookie mistakes. I def see a vast athletic talent jump the last couple years.

Again, to the extent Callahan tore down 20-30 years of relationships and such monumental change of a system and program, it's going to take a little time. And I think Bo is figuring it out.

I will say, it is a little frustrating that Kingsbury, Briles, and Sumlin can have quick success, but we'll see where they are in another 5 yrs. I don't want flash in the pan seasons and I think Bo is building a good base of quality players AND human beings, which WILL pay off over the following years.