\\ Purdue Game Discussion Thread //

knapplc

Any chance the O struggles we're seeing are the result of Beck/Bo trying to push the offensive envelope a bit this week for the third week starters TA/RKIII....opening the playbook a bit more to see what they can handle? Or are they just having a bad day. If just having a bad day, this is a good day for it.

Edit...can't see the game, just listening...

it looks to me that purdue is really playing with some intensity today. it might be that they are playing better then anyone expected

Good point...bad team or not, they are a D-1 team with some obviously athletic guys on the field.

Does anyone actually think the rule is good? Because I have yet to see a single fan who agrees with the rule. Claiming someone does without providing any evidence is pretty amusing.

The rule is good when it's applied correctly. The problem I see is it's to subjective. It's too broad of a rule with no real clear indicators on what is and isn't "targeting." We've seen other plays similar to SJBs today that weren't called targeting and others that should have been targeting, not called. Interpretation is the name of the game with this rule and it's the interpretation that sucks. The rule needs to be adjusted with a clearer outline on what is and isn't a penalty

Does anyone actually think the rule is good? Because I have yet to see a single fan who agrees with the rule. Claiming someone does without providing any evidence is pretty amusing.

No but some are being pretentious "rules guys" and acting like they're better than the rest of us because they have such a "higher understanding" of rules. The rest of us are trying to watch some football and being prevented from doing that by the guys in black and white.

When you get hits like that, it's pay day fellas. Same goes with touchdowns...when I got my first touchdown as a FB....I actually teared up a bit because all the work you gave during practice paid off. Game day is the check baby. I really hate these new targeting rules.

Never scored a TD in HS football, the only place I played FB. But I do remember my first basket in HS basketball. (I was one of those 20 points per season guys mostly accustomed to pine time).

The rule is good when it's applied correctly. The problem I see is it's to subjective. It's too broad of a rule with no real clear indicators on what is and isn't "targeting." We've seen other plays similar to SJBs today that weren't called targeting and others that should have been targeting, not called. Interpretation is the name of the game with this rule and it's the interpretation that sucks. The rule needs to be adjusted with a clearer outline on what is and isn't a penalty

I would say the issue with the rule is the entire part about being ejected automatically for targeting. Based on the rules right now, that was targeting and it's an ejection. The problem is, all hits like that should now be ejections. In reality, it should be like it was before where you get ejected for a malicious, intentional hit upstairs.

What they have done is take the interpretation OUT of the hands of the refs. Now they have no choice but to eject. And that is an issue.

• Fire 1