One loss teams - where Huskers stand in rankings

huKSer

Where should we be? We look like a #22 team and no more. Really struggled against Wyoming(at home), had a nationally televised and cringe worthy melt down against UCLA(at home), had secret tapes with a our coach going on a tirade-leaked to the media by one of our fans, an injured 3 year starting QB, what else? Why should we be ranked higher? Record you say? Our schedule is a JOKE and we play in a 3rd tier, weak conference. And the upper 30 rows in the student section are always empty.

The cbssports.com poll prediction has us at #25 in the AP. Right behind a 4-2 Washington. LINK

But they do have Mizzou just ahead of UGA.

Seven Top 25 teams fell today:

#5 Stanford (5-1) lost 21-27 to unranked Utah (4-2, lost to Oregon St and UCLA)

#7 Georgia (4-2, also lost to Clemson) lost 26-41 to #25 Missouri (6-0)

#12 Oklahoma (5-1) lost 20-36 to unranked Texas (4-2, lost to BYU and Ole Miss)

#16 Washington (4-2, also lost to Stanford) lost 24-45 to #2 Oregon (6-0)

#17 Florida (4-2, also lost to Miami) lost 6-17 to #10 LSU (6-1, lost to Georgia)

#18 Michigan (5-1) lost 40-43 to unranked Penn St (4-2, lost to UCF and Indiana)

#19 Northwestern (4-2, also lost to Ohio St) lost 6-35 to unranked Wisconsin (4-2, lost to Arizona St and Ohio St)

So, where does that put us? I would say because Washington, Florida, and Northwestern are all 2 loss teams and Oklahoma and Michigan lost to unranked opponents, they all fall out of the top 25 (Oklahoma may stay somewhere between 20-25). Then, there is 2 loss Georgia and Stanford who lost to an unranked opponent. They are in the top 10, so it would be hard to see them fall all the way out. Stanford will probably hang around #15, while Georgia is in the same boat as Oklahoma and fall in the 20-25 range. Then, there are the opponents that beat them. Utah, Wisconsin, andTexas are 2 loss teams, so I see them no higher then 20. Missouri bumps into the mid-teens (should be ranked above Georgia). LSU moves up two spots to #8, and Oregon stays where they are.

That should put us between 18-23. We only lost to #11 UCLA (4-0) when they were #16. But, in reality, none of this will happen. SEC is king (even a 2 loss team), and Nebraska is hated on nationally.

Edited by NU-Bo
  • Fire 2

I think there's no way we wind up ahead of Missouri but I've been wrong before.

SEC? Road win against the #7 team? That team is the ever almighty-C Georgia? Missour will be in the top 15. Mark it.

Not so fast my friend. Georgia is a hurting team, their offense is absolutely decimated with injuries . here are the starters that have accounted for 11 of their 25 touchdowns that are out with injuries . Justin Scott Wesley, Keith Marshall, Michael Benne, Malcom Mitchell and Todd Gurley. They literally pulled guys off the scout team to start this week.

Definitely some upsets today. However, I don't think we jump over any teams who suffered their first loss today.

With Nebraska having one loss, we don't jump over any SEC teams unless they fall below .500... :sarcasm

That being said, we did all we could do today to advance our cause, so I'll enjoy that and not worry about what we can't control. Even if we don't jump some teams, the voting gets tighter in our favor, I believe.

I loved that Penn State Michigan game. Both the Penn State fans and their team were too stubborn to admit that they were beaten at least five different times in that game, so I guess they get to take away a very memorable and hard fought win.

Silly number next to our name aside, our odds of winning the division went waaaaaaay up today. I don't think it's even an option that we'd lose to MSU, and Michigan and Northwestern have done a very good job of taking themselves out of the race.

MSU is very much in it, same record as ours 2-0 in the Big Ten

No matter... Set 'em up and knock 'em down consistently is the only thing that will return us to top flight of recognized teams. The rest of this is just too much 'statistics' for me. There is no bias or magic chemistry here fellas (imho)... If there is some, it's just midseason crap that always shows up. The other conferences will end up beating the hell out of themselves in coming weeks. We handle our schedule, we end up where we should be.

We shouldn't be ranked, we haven't beaten anyone of merit to deserve a ranking. Wyoming lost to Texas State and has not beaten any team worth a damn - and we barely squeeked out the win. So Miss is 0-17, enough said. SDSU is a FCS team with 3 losses (2 to FCS teams). Illinois claim to fame is beating a sh**ty Cincinnati team. Purdue's only win of the year is against FCS team, and only won by 6 points. When we can actually hang with a decent team for 4 quarters, I will say we deserve a ranking. Until then, we don't deserve it.

• Fire 2
We shouldn't be ranked, we haven't beaten anyone of merit to deserve a ranking. Wyoming lost to Texas State and has not beaten any team worth a damn - and we barely squeeked out the win. So Miss is 0-17, enough said. SDSU is a FCS team with 3 losses (2 to FCS teams). Illinois claim to fame is beating a sh**ty Cincinnati team. Purdue's only win of the year is against FCS team, and only won by 6 points. When we can actually hang with a decent team for 4 quarters, I will say we deserve a ranking. Until then, we don't deserve it.

Please go through how others teams deserve their rankings.

• Fire 2

Oklahoma and Oklahoma St are the teams I see as overrated. Also I am not even going to bother doing any analysis on the AP poll, obviously they just don't like us. The arbitrary VA Tech move by coaches above us I didn't appreciate. Fresno should be easy to leapfrog and their resume (two one-point wins, close win over Hawaii) is checkered.

We'll find out soon enough whether UCLA is a "quality loss" when they plan Stanford then Oregon in the next two weeks. If UCLA gets ranked really high, some folks might actually go back and realize we about had them beat with that 21-3 lead, then our young defense collapsed after over achieving to get to that point.

Main thing is we don't have any quality wins, and while I think AP is worthless you can't really make a strong argument to ranks us. I have us #16 though behind T Tech, if its any consolation.

Silly number next to our name aside, our odds of winning the division went waaaaaaay up today. I don't think it's even an option that we'd lose to MSU, and Michigan and Northwestern have done a very good job of taking themselves out of the race.

MSU is very much in it, same record as ours 2-0 in the Big Ten

Interesting that for all the problems we've had on defense and all the praise MSU's defense gets, they allow less than seven fewer points per game than we do (15.8 to 22.3).