*** What Did We Learn ***

SJB put his head down and led with the crown of his head directly in the Purdue kid's chin. That was by definition of the rule "targeting". It was the right call, hopefully he will learn from it so we don't have to keep playing without him.

Its one thing to hate the rule, but it was an easy call.

Seeing the replay it was like SJB was doing a demonstration for the rule. What he should've done was tackle in a way that didn't involve a head butt and then not act cocky afterwards. It would've been a really boneheaded move in a close game against a top team....kind of like getting a 15 for pushing the qb after the pass is gone. If you don't like the rule then take it up with the NCAA and be sure to mention all the other ones I don't like, but don't lose the game over it.

I thought Purdue got away with a helmet to helmet on Burtch. I could be mistaken though. It's such a potentially devastating call that's very easy to miss or call incorrectly. I don't like how much power it gives officials over the game. With player safety I see it as a necessary evil, but that doesn't mean I always agree with the execution.

Hence, Bo's postgame comments.

Would you be so kind as to give me the cliff's notes?

I can't find the exact quote right now, but it was something to the effect of "Whatever, it would be nice if that call works both ways(referencing the Burtch hit) We live in some kind of Bizarro world."

SJB put his head down and led with the crown of his head directly in the Purdue kid's chin. That was by definition of the rule "targeting". It was the right call, hopefully he will learn from it so we don't have to keep playing without him.

Seeing the replay it was like SJB was doing a demonstration for the rule. What he should've done was tackle in a way that didn't involve a head butt and then not act cocky afterwards. It would've been a really boneheaded move in a close game against a top team....kind of like getting a 15 for pushing the qb after the pass is gone. If you don't like the rule then take it up with the NCAA and be sure to mention all the other ones I don't like, but don't lose the game over it.

I thought Purdue got away with a helmet to helmet on Burtch. I could be mistaken though. It's such a potentially devastating call that's very easy to miss or call incorrectly. I don't like how much power it gives officials over the game. With player safety I see it as a necessary evil, but that doesn't mean I always agree with the execution.

Hence, Bo's postgame comments.

Would you be so kind as to give me the cliff's notes?

I can't find the exact quote right now, but it was something to the effect of "Whatever, it would be nice if that call works both ways(referencing the Burtch hit) We live in some kind of Bizarro world."

This is one statistic where I feel if we added up penalty yards for illegal hits against us and against our opponents, it would be rather lopsided. I can understand Bo's frustration. Thanks, by the way.

And as far as SJB's hit, I was very close to the field on that end and it sure as heck looked like first contact was made with I

his shoulder and the helmet to helmet was incidental and really minor compared to what I've seen.

With the advantage of watching it on TV, this is also what I thought in real time. When you break it down in slow mo, he does make contact with his helmet. The refs were pretty spot on.

No..... Just no.

His head was to the side and he led with his shoulder. I'm not sure how else a defender is supposed to make that play.

• Fire 1

And as far as SJB's hit, I was very close to the field on that end and it sure as heck looked like first contact was made with I

his shoulder and the helmet to helmet was incidental and really minor compared to what I've seen.

With the advantage of watching it on TV, this is also what I thought in real time. When you break it down in slow mo, he does make contact with his helmet. The refs were pretty spot on.

When 2 players approximately the same height are both in athletic stances and a tackle is made, the helmets will hit more times than not. People need to stop acting like it's such a big deal. A helmet is the most sophisticated piece of equipment on a player's body. A little contact there won't do much.

I learned that Purdue fans are kinda a$$hole$.

Really?  All the ones in our section were pretty cool, despite the fact I can be loud and obnoxious at times.

This is good to hear. Could be that I just got stuck with some of the more drunk and rambunctious Purdue fans.

Maybe.  The people around us were pretty sober and most of them weren't the youngest.

I learned that Purdue fans are kinda a$$hole$.

Care to explain?

Just a good deal of verbal jarring. Lots of "Your coach hates you guys!", "Tommy Frazier sucks!" (Honestly don't know if they were so drunk they thought Armstrong was Frazier?), and "Nebraska sucks *****" . It seems like this was just an isolated thing, which is good. They were young and probably drunk, I guess every fan base has those types.

I learned that Purdue is the worst offense we've played. With the exception of Enunwa our receiver's talents have been greatly exaggerated. None of our qb's are great and Stanton has as good a shot of starting next year as anyone. Newby seems to be getting worse the longer he's here. Our linebackers are pretty good and should get better with experience. Gregory is a monster and always seems to be in on the big plays. Abdullah must be a cross-country runner because he doesn't appear to ever tire. Frazier looks like a potentially great back. Long is a great o-lineman and it sucks that he got injured in a scrimmage like this. Even at our best we may not be better than Northwestern, Ohio State, Wisconsin , or Michigan State.

1. Our receivers did fine. RSFR Westerkamp had a good day during his first game with major PT. Couple huge 3rd down catches. Kenny had a decent day, defenses respect what he can do and pay more attention to him. Turner gets to that ball if he doesn't have a pulled hammy (coaches fault imo putting him in that situation).

2. Of course Stanton will have his chance next year. But what makes you think his chances are better than Tommy's who has been in the system for 3 years (by next year) and has in game experience.

3. Newby isn't getting worse. He is still adjusting. You see some runs where he plays it perfect, then some where he goes back to HS mode and tries to run to sideline. It's a process for young backs. He is going to end the year with 500ish yards. Not bad for a 3rd string freshman.

4. How is the heck do you come to the conclusion that Frazier looks like a potential "GREAT" back? From two runs in mop up duty in the 4th quarter? That is a joke.