SJB - Targeting Rule discussion

Nobody

Was it SJB who did the suplex? I was shocked there was no flag for that.

He did, but he didn't throw the QB down to the ground violently. He kind of laid him down, not quite like a Suh-Plex.

That was because Thad had to come in and hit the QB while SJB was doing it. And I don't believe it should have been a flag if SJB would have done it, Borland wasn't flagged when did it to Taylor.

The Ole Miss player who just got ejected was targeting.

SJB was a love tap by comparison.

No he wasnt. Another horrible enforcement of a well meaning but very poorly thought out rule.

Um .. yes it was. Directly from the NCAA Rule Book:

Receiver A83 has just leaped and received a forward pass. As A83 is about to regain his balance, B45 launches and drives into A83 above the shoulder area with his helmet or shoulder.

RULING: Foul by B45 for targeting and initiating contact with a defenseless opponent above the shoulders. Ejection for a flagrant foul.

The Ole Miss player who just got ejected was targeting.

SJB was a love tap by comparison.

And his ejection was overturned. Unbelievable.

The subjectivity is what is ridiculous.

exactly. there needs to be a 'malicious' component. that ole miss hit was way more vicious. he led with his head and launched. sjb made a form tackle at a high speed.

either way, ejection is pretty harsh. if anything, it should be reviewed after the game.

Targeting=Ridiculous rule. It's okay prior to 1900 (no helmets)

it would be better without helmets because no one would lead with their head. helmets made the players' heads a weapon, effectively.

but i do not necessarily have a problem with penalizing 'targeting'. i just think the in-game ejection is ridiculous.

It hasn't been that long ago that that's how coaches taught players to tackle. Drive your facemask into their number, right under the chin. I'll bet most of our current players were taught that back when they were freshmen in highschool.