SJB - Targeting Rule discussion

Nobody

Posted in another thread but here is a screen grab. Kind of blurry but you can see SJB's helmet hit the Purdue player's facemask.

Can't really tell much from the photo above. But the gif below makes it look more like SJB hit with the shoulder. To me anyway. LINK

nebraskatargeting_medium.gif

The Purdue RB's head didn't even snap back. That was a total bullsh#t call if you ask me.

Nice pic there. If that is illegal, lets just play flag football.

How about instead of flag football let's not throw a forearm when making a big hit. Maybe that would help.

Posted in another thread but here is a screen grab. Kind of blurry but you can see SJB's helmet hit the Purdue player's facemask.

Can't really tell much from the photo above. But the gif below makes it look more like SJB hit with the shoulder. To me anyway. LINK

The Purdue RB's head didn't even snap back. That was a total bullsh#t call if you ask me.

How about instead of flag football let's not throw a forearm when making a big hit. Maybe that would help.

Who is throwing a forearm?

nice handful of jersey that Purdue blocker has behind the tackle

I don't see SJB throwing a forearm.

I don't really know what jaws is saying - if he's saying it was dirty, I disagree... But I do agree with the idea that it was poor technique. Eyes down, didn't wrap up. If he had his eyes up and wrapped up, he makes the same play, no penalty. Even if he kept his eyes down, but wrapped up and drove his body through the opponent, I bet he avoids the flag.

IDK man he put his hat on the ball, across the players body. It does look like he dips his head but honestly if he doesn't lower and put his hat across like that then there WOULD actually be straight up helmet to helmet contact.

He should put his facemask on the ball, not the crown of his helmet.

I was watching something, and heard Chris Borland, who is Wisconsin all-time leader for forced fumbles, say when he is the second guy in on a tackle, he is taught to hit the ball carrier with his helmet directly on the ball or try to strip the ball with his hands. Watching the SJB tackle. He forced that drop by putting his helmet directly on the ball. If this is how the rule will be enforced, then you should see these foals in every game on benign well delivered tackles, assuming the players are tackling the why coaches have taught them.

I don't really know what jaws is saying - if he's saying it was dirty, I disagree... But I do agree with the idea that it was poor technique. Eyes down, didn't wrap up. If he had his eyes up and wrapped up, he makes the same play, no penalty. Even if he kept his eyes down, but wrapped up and drove his body through the opponent, I bet he avoids the flag.

I guess I am saying basically what you just said but not in a clear way. Sorry for the confusion.

I think he was trying to hit him with his shoulder but got him with his helmet. His head didn't snap back but he hit his facemask back toward his face - you can see the back of his helmet pop up in your video.

I'm not saying I agree with the call, but I can see why it was made. As I said, the rule itself is the problem - really hard to enforce consistently.

• Fire 1

But shouldn't the refs be expected to call a consistent game? It seems like the calls they make in other instances says something about how they should have called the SJB play.

No, it doesn't say anything about how they should call the SJB hit. The rules say how they should call the SJB hit, nothing else. The rules are clear, and it's an ejection when you see an angle where his helmet strikes the bottom of the guy's facemask.

The haphazardness of how these things are called as a whole speaks to, and can support, a person's opinion on whether the rule is a good one or not. But not on how they should call the SJB hit.

Edit - Forgot, and yes, the refs should be expected to call consistent games. But they never do since they're human. The problem right now is that the rule FORCES an ejection if they call targeting. Even if it's reviewed and still falls within the targeting rules, you're gone. Nothing should force the refs to eject, that's just plain retarded. Ejecting due to malictious and intentionally dangerous hits is far less of a judgement call (especially when reviewed on slow motion), and that's how the rule should be done. But it's not what we have anymore, sadly.

You've never actually played football, have you? :lol:

• Fire 1

This was a foul by the rule. You can disagree with the rule but it was enforced properly. He ducked his head and went for the big shot. I liked the hit. I don't particularly like the rule. But it is written to make defenders keep their heads up and wrap with their arms. Once you duck your head you are risking the call.