Bo Pelini positive achievements

Redux

And just so it's out there, I'm fine if you are overly critical of Bo, as I am not at all satisfied with his body of work here, but I'm just tired of all the doom and gloom, and when there is a thread about something good that happened with the team, instantly Polo, 'sker, The Dude, or whoever comes in and posts some snide or irrelevant post to instantly downplay whatever that thread was about. This is why I haven't been on here as much. It's like reading a book that is all doom and gloom and doesn't seem like it will have a happy ending. Eventually you get to the point where you say, "What's the point?" That's where I, and I'm pretty sure a lot of other posters, have gotten to.

Well, they (we, probably) have gotten more ammunition each year since 2009. I hope that we win every game . . . but reality is pretty damn tough to ignore.

And if you're asking why I (we, probably) still care even though it doesn't look like Bo can win at the expected level it's because we're fans. The school/team/sport is bigger than any one coach, Pelini included. Fortune willing, I'll still be a Nebraska fan long after Bo Pelini has moved on . . . whenever that is.

i want the program to succeed regardless of coach. if bo can help the program succeed, then great. i have my doubts that i like to discuss. i guess that should be prohibited. as should pointing out that bo has been given a fair chance to succeed and he has not shown any progression lately.

Exactly. I'm a Nebraska football fan.

If Bo can get us where we want to be, fantastic. If he can't, it's time for the next guy.

Exactly.

Also, let's just be honest where the program is right now. I feel a lot here aren't.

And just so it's out there, I'm fine if you are overly critical of Bo, as I am not at all satisfied with his body of work here, but I'm just tired of all the doom and gloom, and when there is a thread about something good that happened with the team, instantly Polo, 'sker, The Dude, or whoever comes in and posts some snide or irrelevant post to instantly downplay whatever that thread was about. This is why I haven't been on here as much. It's like reading a book that is all doom and gloom and doesn't seem like it will have a happy ending. Eventually you get to the point where you say, "What's the point?" That's where I, and I'm pretty sure a lot of other posters, have gotten to.

Well, they (we, probably) have gotten more ammunition each year since 2009. I hope that we win every game . . . but reality is pretty damn tough to ignore.

And if you're asking why I (we, probably) still care even though it doesn't look like Bo can win at the expected level it's because we're fans. The school/team/sport is bigger than any one coach, Pelini included. Fortune willing, I'll still be a Nebraska fan long after Bo Pelini has moved on . . . whenever that is.

Edit. I think I'm misread your post.

So the ones that aren't posting as often aren't fans? Posting every single day on a website makes you a fan, then?

Where did you get that from?

And which side do you think I'm on? I ask purely out of curiosity.

i am not a mind reader, but i get the impression that you expect more from the team, but think bo is doing a good job. i kind of think those are mutually exclusive, at least they should be after 6 years.

You're right. I do expect more from the team, and it's true that I don't have much patience left for continuing to win 9 or 10 games while getting blown out or losing to teams we should not lose to in any combination of 4 games. I think last season was the worst season we've had with Bo as our head coach. If this season winds up like last season, I wouldn't disagree if Eichorst decided to fire him. But I don't think this season will be like last season.

My hope and optimism for Nebraska taking the next step lies in with the 2009 and 2010 teams; teams who made conference titles against higher ranked (one opponent even appeared in the national title game) teams, held a lead for a good amount of time only to see it slip away in the final minutes (seconds). I don't care who recruited the talent who made up both teams. All I care about is the fact that there was a large amount of talent on both those teams. I think the team we see this year will mimic the 2010 team. The talent is certainly there.

i want the program to succeed regardless of coach. if bo can help the program succeed, then great. i have my doubts that i like to discuss. i guess that should be prohibited. as should pointing out that bo has been given a fair chance to succeed and he has not shown any progression lately.

If Bo can get us where we want to be, fantastic. If he can't, it's time for the next guy.

Exactly.

Also, let's just be honest where the program is right now. I feel a lot here aren't.

I think everybody here is pretty damn honest about where the program is. Even the "sunshine pumpers" agree that something needs to happen this year. How many more times can we have the same conversation in every f'ing thread this offseason? The only difference is that some people can see a glimmer of hope with what we've put together on defense and the weapons we have remaining on offense. I think the overwhelming majority of people here would agree that this is a sh#t or get off the pot season.

So the ones that aren't posting as often aren't fans? Posting every single day on a website makes you a fan, then?

Where did you get that from?

Misread it, I edited it.

You're right. I do expect more from the team, and it's true that I don't have much patience left for continuing to win 9 or 10 games while getting blown out or losing to teams we should not lose to in any combination of 4 games. I think last season was the worst season we've had with Bo as our head coach. If this season winds up like last season, I wouldn't disagree if Eichorst decided to fire him. But I don't think this season will be like last season.

My hope and optimism for Nebraska taking the next step lies in with the 2009 and 2010 teams; teams who made conference titles against higher ranked (one opponent even appeared in the national title game) teams, held a lead for a good amount of time only to see it slip away in the final minutes (seconds). I don't care who recruited the talent who made up both teams. All I care about is the fact that there was a large amount of talent on both those teams. I think the team we see this year will mimic the 2010 team. The talent is certainly there.

who could argue with that.

bo has provided us with reason to hope. the concern is that he has also provided us reason to doubt, and that has been more recently.

i do believe there is no reason next year can not be extremely successful. it is just a matter of bo proving he has what it takes to get us to the next level.

Exactly.

I'll be honest about where the program is. We have a young talented defense ontop of a fairly new qb heading into 2014. Were coming off a big bowl win but not a stellar season. Expectations are high as always. 6 years is a lifetime in college coaching and Bo needs to produce a big year. Recruiting is taking a huge upswing. His antics havent been great but hes working on it as any human would.

Pretty much sum it up? If someone says Bo isnt the worst f'ing coach ever to grace the midwest they arent being honest where the program is??????? You really need some perspective.

Exactly.

I think everyone is honest on here. Reasonable? That is a different request.

• Fire 1

There are Husker supporters who, no matter what Nebraska does, will disapprove of Bo Pelini.

Ah, perhaps. That certainly makes a lot more sense than your original point. But what's the point of worrying about that now? Shouldn't we wait until Bo wins, I dunno, a national title or at least a conference title before bemoaning the fact that people aren't pleased with him - even though he's built a highly successful program? I'm willing to bet the vast majority of the complaints about Bo are a direct result of him not building and maintaining a highly successful program. What you're presuming here is that if he did, people still wouldn't be pleased with the job he's done. Maybe so, but that would be such a miniscule percentage of people, would it even be worth worrying about then?

I dunno, it's just a strange thing to concern oneself with, in my opinion.

Either way, epic thread derailment. Respect +1

• Fire 2

Lets not have this turn into a fire Bo thread. I just thought it would be good to remind people of the good things that have happened under Coach Pelini's regime.

-Ohio State Comeback/Biggest Point Margin comeback in NU history

-Upholds Zach Darlington's scholarship regardless of his playing future

-Excellent GPA and Graduation Rate

-Strict no nonsense off field drama: Ernest Suttles, Quentin Castille etc.

-Nick Pasquale tribute decal and gold/blue baloons for UCLA game

-Shows he can have a good relationship with team: Harlem Shake video, Cell Phone prank etc.

-Penn State pre-game prayer in aftermath of Sandusky scandal and JoePa firing

-Jack Hoffman Spring Game Touchdown and resulting.ESPY Award for Jack

Was Bo the mastermind behind all of these, perhaps not. But it all happened under his watch. Lets try to remember these things when you feel he is being to agressive on the sideline.

Please share what Ive left out.

Dunno if it's already been mentioned, but his press conference after the Penn State game in 2011 was the single greatest press conferences I've ever seen in any sport. Admittedly I'm being biased, but his words were the most eloquent thing you could say in a situation like that. The guy gets it when it comes to the right combination of competitive drive and perspective.