Bo Pelini positive achievements

Redux

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

It's weird, I've heard the audio and never once felt like he was talking about me.  

I don't think he'd be interested in coming back and it would definitely feel strange.  I'm also very happy the the Bo firing eventually led to Frost's hire.

But, you're absolutely right: we do die hard.

Go Penguins!!!

I especially agree about Bo’s firing led to Frost and I’m thankful for that.

It’s my opinion that it’s easier to get over something by confronting it and making amends rather than stewing over something that the majority of us don’t even understand what happened behind the scenes. If people are still pissed about the OSU audio, then how do they feel about Rex Burkhead echoing Bo’s opinion about how s#!tty it was for fans to leave the game early?

There are a number of things I wish Bo did or didn’t do, but Harvey acted like a snake and fueled the drama, and Bo did more good things than bad for the program. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

1.  All coaches (just like all people at every job) are always a bit interested in other possible jobs.  Doesn't make anyone a bad person.

2.  Coaches hate fans...we are annoying...we sit here all day on message boards, radio shows, twitter...ripping on them non-stop.  Think how annoying and tiresome that would get.

3.  He called out his boss...good lord...anyone that has ever had an a$$h@!e boss has dreamed of doing that.  Good lord, they make wildly successful movies about that very topic.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, TheSker said:

Pelini has known Frost since he was his position coach

If I'm not mistaken, Pelini coached LBs while Frost played safety. Still knew each other, but Pelini wasn't Frost's position coach.

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

For some of our more forgetful friends, this is what Bo Pelini said on that day when his team played listlessly in the first half against an (unranked and struggling) Ohio State, then staged the greatest comeback in Nebraska history while the fans went wild, save for a smattering of empty seats. There is nothing in his prior or post history to suggest this was in any way unusual for Bo:

All of that is just the prelude to Pelini's message for the Huskers' fans: "It took everything in my power to not say, 'f#&% you, fans. f#&% all of you.' f#&% 'em." After Sharpe says a lot of students had left at halftime, the woman starts to say that people did return to their seats. Pelini interjects: "Our crowd. What a bunch of f#&%ing fair-weather f#&%ing—they can all kiss my a$$ out the f#&%ing door. 'Cause the day is f#&%ing coming now. We'll see what they can do when I'm f#&%ing gone. I'm so f#&%ing pissed off."

That was in 2011, after which Bo's agent started fishing for any HC offers among the P5 openings.  Apparently there were no takers. Bo would continue with his 9 wins, but would also rack up one of the worst records against ranked teams among P5 coaches.  Contrary to popular belief, Eichorst actually gave Bo  a contract extension in 2013, along with a bigger recruiting budget and an extra plane. 

After Bo was fired, and famously made his equally profane farewell speech to the team all about himself, he landed at his hometown Youngstown State, where he immediately got into the same hot water for his temper, for baiting fans and refs, and for bemoaning expectations on him. He did have a great season squeezed between two losing seasons, but as of yet, no major college football program has swept in to take advantage of the mistake Shawn Eichorst supposedly made.

That's all for now. 

I don’t think anyone forgot about it, but just don’t consider it that big of a deal as others who hold him in contempt for a private opinion that was leaked to the public in attempt to sabotage him. These leaks have caused more lingering harm to the university than him expressing his opinion. 

His farewell speech shouldn’t have been spoken to those players, but anyone arguing that his opinions about Harvey and Eichorst aren’t accurate are most likely lying to themselves. I’m happy he said what he did and it was dumb for the Athletic Dept to respond in the way that they did. Upon the news of his son, I don’t think Eichorst has a leg to stand on when it comes to opining about who should be “leading young men.”

If we’re going to bring up Bo flirting with leaving NU, imagine TO interviewing with CU in the era of twitter and watching fans flame out.

Anyway, I get that my opinion is unpopular, but reading some people’s reactions is exactly why I feel it’s appropriate to extend an invite in the future. Look at our own fans now and how they react even after a W. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
11 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

I especially agree about Bo’s firing led to Frost and I’m thankful for that.

It’s my opinion that it’s easier to get over something by confronting it and making amends rather than being stewing over something that the majority of us don’t even understand what happened behind the scenes. If people are still pissed about the OSU audio, then how do they feel about Rex Burkhead echoing Bo’s opinion about how s#!tty it was for fans to leave the game early?

There are a number of things I wish Bo did or didn’t do, but Harvey acted like a snake and fueled the drama, and Bo did more good things that bad for the program. 

I have nothing to get over.

He's moved on, like he wanted to.  The program has moved on too.  He made his feelings clear as he left.

I have no reason for the program to rehash all that by inviting him back.

Now.....I'm looking forward to what Frost can do.

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

All coaches (just like all people at every job) are always a bit interested in other possible jobs.  Doesn't make anyone a bad person.

You are absolutely correct. Looking around at other jobs did not make Bo a bad person. Being an unprofessional a$$hole is what made him a bad person.

• Plus1 1

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

If you get a divorce and your wife thinks you're a big piece of s#!t as she's walking out the door, do you really need to invite her back for dinner and a movie years later after you've remarried and happy?

Something about apples and oranges. 

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have nothing to get over.

He's moved on, like he wanted to.  The program has moved on too.  He made his feelings clear as he left.

I have no reason for the program to rehash all that by inviting him back.

Now.....I'm looking forward to what Frost can do.

That’s a fair opinion. I don’t see it that way and think it’s only an issue to those who want to make it an issue. 

6 minutes ago, Ulty said:

You are absolutely correct. Looking around at other jobs did not make Bo a bad person. Being an unprofessional a$$hole is what made him a bad person.

Bo is probably just more of an a$$h@!e, like you said, but not really a bad person.  It seems like he loves his family and helped out a ton with that Team Jack stuff, seemed like a pretty regular dude most of the time.  Hell, who knows, maybe he thinks Silence of the Lambs is a "How To" Documentary and the guy has a freaking well in his basement.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

The guy was a total jackass on the sidelines so much to the point that it was embarrassing often times to watch.  I still think there is something seriously wrong with the dude.

As I said Bolievers Die HARD. 

giphy.gif

we still judging the last coach to take us to our last CTG and string multiple winning seasons together based solely off sideline antics? Not a boliever, just curious how people that justify firing him over this then go seem to forget how it played out afterwards and wether or not it was all worth it just to not have to worry about sideline antics?

• Plus1 2