Bo Pelini positive achievements

Redux

7 minutes ago, husker98 said:

we still judging the last coach to take us to our last CTG and string multiple winning seasons together based solely off sideline antics? Not a boliever, just curious how people that justify firing him over this then go seem to forget how it played out afterwards and wether or not it was all worth it just to not have to worry about sideline antics?

Some things in life are more important than winning college football games. How you treat others (refs, players, fans, administration, etc) says a lot about a person. I'd rather be 4-8 under Frost, than 10-2 under Pelini.  

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, husker98 said:

we still judging the last coach to take us to our last CTG and string multiple winning seasons together based solely off sideline antics? Not a boliever, just curious how people that justify firing him over this then go seem to forget how it played out afterwards and wether or not it was all worth it just to not have to worry about sideline antics?

Ha!  Remember the RiledUp crowd that LOVED how nice Mike was...(Newsflash...he is a regular dude) 

"I just want a nice coach" Ha

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Melby said:

Some things in life are more important than winning college football games. How you treat others (refs, players, fans, administration, etc) says a lot about a person. I'd rather be 4-8 under Frost, than 10-2 under Pelini.  

I mean, this is a nice thing to say and all...but...in the end as a fan we want the team to win.  

We had that...with Mike.

• Plus1 5
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I mean, this is a nice thing to say and all...but...in the end as a fan we want the team to win.  

We had that...with Mike.

Being a good person and winning arent mutually exclusive.  Frost is a great guy and knows how to win.  Again, id rather be 4-8 under Frost than 10-2 under Pelini. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

56 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

For some of our more forgetful friends, this is what Bo Pelini said on that day when his team played listlessly in the first half against an (unranked and struggling) Ohio State, then staged the greatest comeback in Nebraska history while the fans went wild, save for a smattering of empty seats. There is nothing in his prior or post history to suggest this was in any way unusual for Bo:

All of that is just the prelude to Pelini's message for the Huskers' fans: "It took everything in my power to not say, 'f#&% you, fans. f#&% all of you.' f#&% 'em." After Sharpe says a lot of students had left at halftime, the woman starts to say that people did return to their seats. Pelini interjects: "Our crowd. What a bunch of f#&%ing fair-weather f#&%ing—they can all kiss my a$$ out the f#&%ing door. 'Cause the day is f#&%ing coming now. We'll see what they can do when I'm f#&%ing gone. I'm so f#&%ing pissed off."

That was in 2011, after which Bo's agent started fishing for any HC offers among the P5 openings.  Apparently there were no takers. Bo would continue with his 9 wins, but would also rack up one of the worst records against ranked teams among P5 coaches.  Contrary to popular belief, Eichorst actually gave Bo  a contract extension in 2013, along with a bigger recruiting budget and an extra plane. 

After Bo was fired, and famously made his equally profane farewell speech to the team all about himself, he landed at his hometown Youngstown State, where he immediately got into the same hot water for his temper, for baiting fans and refs, and for bemoaning expectations on him. He did have a great season squeezed between two losing seasons, but as of yet, no major college football program has swept in to take advantage of the mistake Shawn Eichorst supposedly made.

That's all for now. 

Don't forget to write about Perlman when you continue.

1 minute ago, Melby said:

Being a good person and winning arent mutually exclusive.  Frost is a great guy and knows how to win.  Again, id rather be 4-8 under Frost than 10-2 under Pelini. 

Yeah, I'm not buying that.  Not if 4-8 becomes the norm.  Winning tends to change people's tune.  I guarantee people would welcome Bo back with open arms and puckered lips if it guaranteed national championships.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
34 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Here's an idea.  Let's have one big celebration and invite Callahan, Bo and Riley all back to show them love all at the same game.  Because...you know...it's what we do.  

It should be a little more personal.  We should bring them back on the 10th anniversary of whichever conference championship victory or playoff game victory they coached in rather than as a group.

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Melby said:

Hmmmmmmm

4 minutes ago, CapoValley said:

No, I don't remember meeting one soul who ever said that

A soul?

No...a person.

3 minutes ago, Melby said:

Ehhh, I love Frost but give me Pelini at 10-2 every time. Maybe not though because I know we would end up 10-4 :lol:

• Haha 5

28 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

The guy was a total jackass on the sidelines so much to the point that it was embarrassing often times to watch.  I still think there is something seriously wrong with the dude.

As I said Bolievers Die HARD. 

giphy.gif

I don't think Bo was a bad guy. He did a lot of good things at NU and I think if you knew him personally he's probably a good guy. I do have to admit I was tired of Bo's sideline tirades too and he always seemed to pull a penalty at the worst time with them. I always wondered if this hurt his recruiting ability. If you're a recruit seeing video on ESPN or during the game of Bo red faced screaming at refs, players, coaches does it really make you want to play there? Maybe it had zero affect on that I just always wondered.

I was also tired of his teams collapsing as soon as we had a big game.

6 minutes ago, Redux said:

Yeah, I'm not buying that.  Not if 4-8 becomes the norm.  Winning tends to change people's tune.  I guarantee people would welcome Bo back with open arms and puckered lips if it guaranteed national championships.

I don't think you're wrong, but man those would be weird years. I mean what would have to happen for a 4 loss team to make it into a national championship game?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Redux said:

Eichorst also gave Mike Riley a contract extension during the 2017 season....so that means exactly nothing.

Well technically it means that if that extension was a show of support for Riley, then it was also a show of support for Bo. 

Make no mistake, it is entirely possible to live in a world where Bo Pelini, Shawn Eichorst, and Harvey Perlman were all bad actors in the same melodrama. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, TheSker said:

Solich has already been back and honored with a legacy award earlier this year.

He may not be back for anything but Pelini has known Frost since he was his position coach and Pelini and Osborne are on good terms.

Frank has never been honored in front of the stadium crowd, and he absolutely deserves to. 

Unless I'm missing something, Bo was never Frost's position coach.