Bo Pelini positive achievements

Redux

Don't worry about the grammar fellas, while seemingly awkward " poorly mishandled" is entirely proper usage. To wit: could one ever mishandle something well?

If that's the intent, then yes.

Not to be a grammar nazi, but "poorly mishandled" is improper. It literally means 'handled well' because it is a double negative, of sorts.

The grammatically correct way to make the statement is "poorly handled." The only way "poorly mishandled" makes sense is if you are suggesting you told someone to intentionally mishandle a situation and they did a poor job of messing it up.

:cop:

Yeah I agree, the grammar isn't technically sound. Just wish that fact wasn't used as a means to ignore the actual conversation of Martinez's poorly handled injury.

It's a ridiculous conversation because none of us were in those conversations with the doctors.

But please, feel free to list your assumptions explaining how it was poorly mishandled.

Based on the Huskers vs Minnesota game where Martinez was barely walking and getting the sh#t kicked out of him, I would say those doctors should be fired. I don't need to be in those conversations to see that.

• Fire 2

I'll say that Martinez shouldn't have been on the field for many of the games he played in. I never realized the extent of his injury. I saw a picture of him on social media last fall and the poor dude was still on crutches probably from another surgery to fix his foot.

Honestly, it's amazing he was able to do what he did during his Junior year. The kid was an amazing athlete and if his foot was that injured, he was also tough as nails.

It's a ridiculous conversation because none of us were in those conversations with the doctors.

But please, feel free to list your assumptions explaining how it was poorly mishandled.

Based on the Huskers vs Minnesota game where Martinez was barely walking and getting the sh#t kicked out of him, I would say those doctors should be fired. I don't need to be in those conversations to see that.

This is a bold assertion without knowing all the facts.

What people seem to forget is that medicine is in no way an exact science that is always accurate, and a big part of healing people is the patient being honest and accurately explaining their symptoms. Perhaps the doctors, from an evaluation perspective, were within every right to clear Martinez for play. Maybe Martinez fabricated how he was feeling in exchange to see the field?

I'm not trying to defend the previous staff or their doctors - but, unless I've missed something, we are missing some facts.

This is a bold assertion without knowing all the facts. Your perception is not grounds enough for medical professionals to lose their jobs.

What people seem to forget is that medicine is in no way an exact science that is always accurate, and a big part of healing people is the patient being honest and accurately explaining their symptoms. Perhaps the doctors, from an evaluation perspective, were within every right to clear Martinez for play. Maybe Martinez fabricated how he was feeling in exchange to see the field?

I'm not trying to defend the previous staff or their doctors - but, unless I've missed something, we are missing some facts.

It's not that bold. The guy limped to the LOS on the first play and it proceeded to get worse from there.

If the coaches and doctors on the sidelines couldn't see that, then I stand by my statement.

• Fire 2

This is a bold assertion without knowing all the facts. Your perception is not grounds enough for medical professionals to lose their jobs.

It's not that bold. The guy limped to the LOS on the first play and it proceeded to get worse from there.

If the coaches and doctors on the sidelines couldn't see that, then I stand by my statement.

I didn't see the game, but from every account I've read/heard since, regardless of the rationale to clear him for play initially, he clearly should have been pulled from the game much earlier than what he was.

If I may digress from the T Magic foot business, Can anyone on here please explain the affinity that they have for BO and why?

I am just trying to understand why in the world there are still Husker fans who steadfastly defend the dude. On a personal level BO might have been a nice dude, but as a football coach can anyone really say that they felt he was accomplished as a head coach? As far as I can tell, Mike Riley and Bo have had the same amount of success at Nebraska. zero conference championships, and zero National championships...

I truly believe that Eichorst was correct when saying that he did not see Bo ever getting over the 9-10 game win hump, there was zero evidence that would have supported the idea that BO could build a team that competed for championships. Bo and his staff were completely indolent when it came to recruiting. Callahan proved that you could bring in a top ten class to Nebraska, it looks like Mike Riley is once again proving that Nebraska can find success in recruiting.

I didn't see the game, but from every account I've read/heard since, regardless of the rationale to clear him for play initially, he clearly should have been pulled from the game much earlier than what he was.

I was there in the stands with a few thousand other Husker fans and on several occasions the question was asked why he was in the game at all.

Did you see the medical charts? Did you talk to Martinez yourself? Do you know all the variables at play?

You don't. I'm not saying the situation was handled perfectly to a T, but to suggest people should have lost their jobs simply by going off your own eye test is incredibly advantageous.

Well, yes, that is a fair argument to hold. But as you rightly point out it is not the same as whether or not he was cleared to play from the beginning.

Furthermore, why are some putting so much heat on the doctors? They advise a coaching staff, Bo would have had input as to whether or not TM would play. TM would have had input too. There's a lot more at play than just the medical professionals.

Did you see the medical charts? Did you talk to Martinez yourself? Do you know all the variables at play?

You don't. I'm not saying the situation was handled perfectly to a T, but to suggest people should have lost their jobs simply by going off your own eye test is incredibly advantageous.

I didn't see charts, or talk to Martinez, or know the variables. And based off what I saw on the field, neither did the coaches or doctors.

• Fire 2

It was probably just a bravado statement, but I agree with you. Society nowadays seems to think almost anything is a fireable offense in any profession/endeavor.

• Fire 1

I never saw the medical results, but I know the kid better than anyone on this site. He is a warrior and he wanted to be on the field, no doubt, and did everything he could to be on the field. It is up to the medical staff to see when it is just gutting out the pain and causing more damage, possibly permanent.

I have not seen the kid in a couple of years, but he will always be what being a Husker means to me. Few gave as much, and possibly destroyed any chance a pro career because of his love for the sport and his team.

My personal opinion was that Bo required him to be cleared, as he was the only chance of winning, and the hate that was around took some of it off of him.

My boss lives next door to them, and his father will not even talk about the situation.

• Fire 1