Bo Pelini positive achievements

Redux

All I know is a kid should get better instead of worse. He looked like he was playing hurt. Why not rest the kid? Coaches failed on this one. Also: why the hell did no one ever teach him how to carry the ball, and how to get down before being hit. Coaches failed on that too. Also coaches failed going into that Texas game we were supposed to win. Their only plan was to ride T Magic. No plan B. Pathetic. The ONLY service the coaches gave T magic was to correct his long ball. Far outweighed by the other failures.

• Fire 1

It's a ridiculous conversation because none of us were in those conversations with the doctors.

But please, feel free to list your assumptions explaining how it was poorly mishandled.

Based on the Huskers vs Minnesota game where Martinez was barely walking and getting the sh#t kicked out of him, I would say those doctors should be fired. I don't need to be in those conversations to see that.
This is a bold assertion without knowing all the facts. Your perception is not grounds enough for medical professionals to lose their jobs.

What people seem to forget is that medicine is in no way an exact science that is always accurate, and a big part of healing people is the patient being honest and accurately explaining their symptoms. Perhaps the doctors, from an evaluation perspective, were within every right to clear Martinez for play. Maybe Martinez fabricated how he was feeling in exchange to see the field?

I'm not trying to defend the previous staff or their doctors - but, unless I've missed something, we are missing some facts.

It's not that bold. The guy limped to the LOS on the first play and it proceeded to get worse from there.

If the coaches and doctors on the sidelines couldn't see that, then I stand by my statement.

I didn't see the game, but from every account I've read/heard since, regardless of the rationale to clear him for play initially, he clearly should have been pulled from the game much earlier than what he was.

Well, yes, that is a fair argument to hold. But as you rightly point out it is not the same as whether or not he was cleared to play from the beginning.

Furthermore, why are some putting so much heat on the doctors? They advise a coaching staff; Bo would have had input as to whether or not TM would play. TM would have had input too. There's a lot more at play than just the medical professionals.

There, fixed it for ya.

I think the biggest damage was done in 2010, when a shaky Cody Green led team eeked out an overtime win against Iowa State in the first game after Martinez's first injury.

Coaches and fans both concluded that the only way Nebraska was going to win was with our amazing new quarterback, Taylor Martinez.

So they rushed him back. But he clearly wasn't the same Taylor Martinez. We kept waiting for the magic to happen. Taylor kept pressing, hoping to regain it. The more he pressed, the worse things got.

The biggest lesson applied in 2011 was to reign in the scrambling, open field Martinez in order to reduce the chance of injury, as we had zero faith in his back ups. He looked like a different player. Not because his was slower, but because the moment he hit open field, he was looking for a safe way to go down. As instructed.

I think Martinez actually got his speed back almost all the way— some of his finest career runs were in 2012 — but I think 2010 screwed with his head and his natural instincts, and that was worse than any injury.

Easy to say in hindsight, but I think the team would have better rallied around Zac Lee, who had run that same offense efficiently if a step slower in the previous Holiday Bowl, then to watch Taylor Martinez play hurt, look bad, and shake everyone's confidence.

• Fire 1

I think the biggest damage was done in 2010, when a shaky Cody Green led team eeked out an overtime win against Iowa State in the first game after Martinez's first injury.

Coaches and fans both concluded that the only way Nebraska was going to win was with our amazing new quarterback, Taylor Martinez.

So they rushed him back. But he clearly wasn't the same Taylor Martinez. We kept waiting for the magic to happen. Taylor kept pressing, hoping to regain it. The more he pressed, the worse things got.

The biggest lesson applied in 2011 was to reign in the scrambling, open field Martinez in order to reduce the chance of injury, as we had zero faith in his back ups. He looked like a different player. Not because his was slower, but because the moment he hit open field, he was looking for a safe way to go down. As instructed.

I think Martinez actually got his speed back almost all the way— some of his finest career runs were in 2012 — but I think 2010 screwed with his head and his natural instincts, and that was worse than any injury.

Easy to say in hindsight, but I think the team would have better rallied around Zac Lee, who had run that same offense efficiently if a step slower in the previous Holiday Bowl, then to watch Taylor Martinez play hurt, look bad, and shake everyone's confidence.

The rumor mill at the time was swirling, but wasn't Lee battling an injury in 2010 still? The only game I really remember seeing him in was against Texas, and he went 4/9 for 14 yards.

The rumor mill at the time was swirling, but wasn't Lee battling an injury in 2010 still? The only game I really remember seeing him in was against Texas, and he went 4/9 for 14 yards.

Yeah, the funny thing is that rumor was already swirling when Pelini pulled a healthy Martinez out of the Texas game and replaced him with Lee. Although Zac's number's weren't great, he managed to march the team down to a field goal, somewhat validating Bo's decision. That was, of course, a teamwide meltdown that included normally solid players like Burkhead dropping the sure touchdown pass Martinez put in his hands.

Pelini went on record as regretting pulling Martinez in the Texas game.

Zac Lee was no more or less injured when he filled in the second half against Missouri after Martinez's injury. Pelini chose to start Green instead the next week against Iowa State. At which point he considered the still hobbled Taylor a better option than both. I shared the opinion, which was pretty easy for me sitting on that couch.

There were plenty of mixed signals about Zac Lee's injury, and it likely involved some face-saving by one or more parties. Another rumor contended Lee was always healthy enough to play, but for some reason had landed in Bo's notorious doghouse. I don't think Zac was ever going to live up to his promise, but I think he might have been able to run a decent caretaker offense in Taylor's absence, using the 2009 Holiday Bowl vs. Arizona as a model.

The first half of 2010 was so dynamic, I don't think anyone wanted to "wait until next year."