Bo Pelini positive achievements

Redux

If I may digress from the T Magic foot business, Can anyone on here please explain the affinity that they have for BO and why?

I am just trying to understand why in the world there are still Husker fans who steadfastly defend the dude. On a personal level BO might have been a nice dude, but as a football coach can anyone really say that they felt he was accomplished as a head coach? As far as I can tell, Mike Riley and Bo have had the same amount of success at Nebraska. zero conference championships, and zero National championships...

I truly believe that Eichorst was correct when saying that he did not see Bo ever getting over the 9-10 game win hump, there was zero evidence that would have supported the idea that BO could build a team that competed for championships. Bo and his staff were completely indolent when it came to recruiting. Callahan proved that you could bring in a top ten class to Nebraska, it looks like Mike Riley is once again proving that Nebraska can find success in recruiting.

BUT, The APR was good (thank goodness this last bowl season), Very few Nebraska players having national headlines for misbehavior.

Besides, It took Mike Riley 7 losses to accumulate 31 points in scoring deficit. Bo did in only one loss.

Five times

AND he was less than a TD away in two others.

It's been quite a few months now since we parted ways with Bo.

Both coaches have a year under their belts, MR at DONU and Bo at Youngstown.

And yet, my feelings are the same.

I really, really, really wish that Bo would have worked out. He wanted it badly. He tried as hard as he could. In the end, it didn't come together. He got frustrated. Tom left. And time ran out.

That doesn't mean that Bo was or is a bad coach. It just wasn't meant to be.

At the time of his firing, I felt sad that it turned out the way it did, but happy for all the memories of great wins that we had. And yes, we had some very nice wins.

Seeing Bo leave the field with his family was always kind of a cool tradition for me.

If I had the chance, and I am going to be in Ohio this summer for a bit, I would shake Bo's hand and thank him for giving it a go at Nebraska. Then tell him I wished him well going forward.

That doesn't mean I will watch Youngstown football. Didn't watch any last year. Won't watch any this fall either.

But I have no ill will toward Bo.

The past is just that.

• Fire 2
  • 3 years later...