Bo Pelini positive achievements

Redux

1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I don't think Bo was a bad guy. He did a lot of good things at NU and I think if you knew him personally he's probably a good guy. I do have to admit I was tired of Bo's sideline tirades too and he always seemed to pull a penalty at the worst time with them. I always wondered if this hurt his recruiting ability. If you're a recruit seeing video on ESPN or during the game of Bo red faced screaming at refs, players, coaches does it really make you want to play there? Maybe it had zero affect on that I just always wondered.

I was also tired of his teams collapsing as soon as we had a big game.

Bo was a good dude and an average coach. He seems like a good family man, and his players loved him. They were all pretty pissed when he got canned.

As for his sideline antics, they probably didn't hurt anything. Look at Saban. Bo's failure to evlove and propensity to crumble in big games are what hurt.

• Plus1 3
32 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well technically it means that if that extension was a show of support for Riley, then it was also a show of support for Bo. 

Make no mistake, it is entirely possible to live in a world where Bo Pelini, Shawn Eichorst, and Harvey Perlman were all bad actors in the same melodrama. 

Preposterous

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Bo is probably just more of an a$$h@!e, like you said, but not really a bad person.  It seems like he loves his family and helped out a ton with that Team Jack stuff, seemed like a pretty regular dude most of the time.  Hell, who knows, maybe he thinks Silence of the Lambs is a "How To" Documentary and the guy has a freaking well in his basement.

Okay, yeah, you're actually right about all that (except for Silence of the Lambs, I hope). Bo wasn't all bad. But his behavior was embarrassing and unprofessional AF. If he had more of a Scott Frost personality but winning the same number of games, he might still be here.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
29 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I think what I've seen is that he never supported the football program and secretly despised it and tried to sabotage it or something along those lines.

While I think it’s certainly plausible he harbored resentment for the fact the performance on the field indirectly affected his job status when he had absolutely zero to with the program, thinking he would sabotage said team is ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, Redux said:

Yeah, I'm not buying that.  Not if 4-8 becomes the norm.  Winning tends to change people's tune.  I guarantee people would welcome Bo back with open arms and puckered lips if it guaranteed national championships.

Now, if we had Bo's bad behavior but guaranteed national championships? Hell yes we would take it.

Bo's behavior versus his coaching ability sort of reminds me of this chart:

Image result for how i met your mother hot crazy diagram

In this case, "hotness" can be defined by victories/championships. Bo didn't win enough to justify his conduct. He wasn't above that line. I mean, Nick Saban is an a$$hole too, but no one wants to fire him. If he lost 4 games every year, Bama would $h!tcan him as well.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 4
  • Fire 1