ESPN female announcer?

rawhide

I thought she did a good job. Why does a woman have to "sound feminine"? And apparently women are not only capable of being sideline reporters, because case in point Beth Mowins, right?

If there were more female announcers I wouldn't mind if some of them sounded less feminine, but the message that these stations are sending is that the only way a woman can announce a game is if she sounds like a man.

And to answer the 2nd question... the only reason she's announcing, imo, is because she sounds manly.

• Fire 1

I'd say your belief about why she has her job is total horsesh#t.

Then why does every female announcer try to talk like a man? Seriously, every single one I've ever heard for any sport, always tries to talk like that. No networks are hiring women who don't try to sound like men unless they're commentating on figure skating or gymnastics.

I'm assuming what's on your mind is she's knowledgeable. I don't disagree with that.

She didn't sound like a man to me. And they have plenty of sideline reporters, who end up talking a fairly significant amount on camera, that have the stereotypical female voice types. If they only wanted someone who sounded like a man (which isn't even the case with this woman), then that would extend to the sideline reporters, too.

She didn't sound like a man to me. And they have plenty of sideline reporters, who end up talking a fairly significant amount on camera, that have the stereotypical female voice types. If they only wanted someone who sounded like a man (which isn't even the case with this woman), then that would extend to the sideline reporters, too.

Think I've already covered that in this thread. They've always had attractive female sideline reporters to add colorful stories and tell us how hurt someone is. If you've seen Galaxy Quest it's kinda like the job Sigourney Weaver's character has on the ship. And if you haven't, you should.

For the record I haven't said she's bad at announcing. I'm mostly annoyed with the networks.

And yet they're on camera with increasingly large amounts of speaking. Not to mention women like Erin Andrews (I think?) who have done a large amount of talking in front of the camera during ESPN's Game Day Live stuff. If they only wanted "mannish" female voices in their broadcasts, none of them would have jobs.

You also seem to forget that correlation does not equal causation. And even your correlation is suspect here, because this woman was easily identifiable as a woman. She didn't sound like a man just because she didn't fit your stereotypical voice type.

And yet they're on camera with increasingly large amounts of speaking. Not to mention women like Erin Andrews (I think?) who have done a large amount of talking in front of the camera during ESPN's Game Day Live stuff. If they only wanted "mannish" female voices in their broadcasts, none of them would have jobs.

You also seem to forget that correlation does not equal causation. And even your correlation is suspect here, because this woman was easily identifiable as a woman. She didn't sound like a man just because she didn't fit your stereotypical voice type.

On camera to look good. Erin Andrews is sideline talent. Moiraine has stated multiple times that her complaint with the networks has nothing to do with sideline talent. It's in the booth, and she has a damn good point. To say the correlation isn't there is, well, wrong. Unless you can provide anyone with females who are doing PBP/Color (again, not sideline) and are not more manly sounding, then you have no case. You're ignoring what she says and framing it to fit it to what you want to say.

• Fire 1