\\ Official Minnesota Game Discussion Thread //

knapplc

So the "meat grinder" section of the schedule begins. Six games in six weeks to determine Nebraska's Legends Division fate. Today figures to be the easiest of the six games, facing a pretty woeful Minnesota team mired in the statistical basement of the Big Ten.

The Golden Gophers are coming off an inspired win at Northwestern, and appear to be playing for their coach, Jerry Kill, who has been battling the effects of epilepsy. Coach Kill will once again not be running the show, but will watch the game from the press box. Kill's halftime speech last week in Evanston is thought to have been a contributing factor for the Gophers' hard-fought win.

Some are expecting an easy Husker win today, but teams rallying around a fallen comrade - or coach - are dangerous. There are no gimmes under these circumstances.

Today also, likely, brings about the return of Taylor Martinez, Nebraska's all-everything quarterback who's sat out the last few weeks dealing with turf toe. Whether Martinez starts or plays at all remains to be seen, but without him Nebraska appears to be more than ably led by both Tommy Armstrong and Ron Kellogg. From no depth at QB the last few years the Huskers now find themselves with an embarrassment of riches - any of the three could lead us to a win today.

In what could be the story line of the second half, the defense appears to be improving each week, and today marks yet another opportunity for growth. The Gophers have the ability to hurt us on offense if we're not playing sound football this week. If the Blackshirts hope to play in Indianapolis this year, stifling a game Gophers group is a great place to start.

It's game day, Nebraska fans. Time to Husker up!

:bigredn:

It's actually one thing I've noticed about Taylor that I am actually critical of. Over the last 4 yrs (and I'm waaaay too lazy to look it up) but it seems from memory that he GENERALLY gets off to a very very poor start. Either 3 and out or an eventual punt in the 1st possession of each half.

I actually cannot remember a time Taylor led an opening drive TD against a top 30 team.

It's funny/ sad that I'm actually more worried about a 4 yr starter coming back and messing w the flow of the team than pretty much anythng else. And I have been a huge TM supporter. I think he's the best we got by far, but he has always made me nervous.

It is true but it comes with an asterisk.

Wyoming we started on our own two, had 3rd and 1 before a false start and didn't convert on three straight runs.

Southern Miss we started on our own 7 and ran it three times.

UCLA we started on our own nine and both Bell and Enunwa dropped passes that would have been a first down.

Horrific starting position and conservative play-calling/dropped passes were the culprit. Martinez didn't have much of a chance.