Jet Sweep: how do we stop it?

zoogs

I think EZ was the one last week who said something about how this Minnesota offense is not messing around. I forgot because the announcers were talking about how Minnesota was so outmatched by us that they had to rely on some trickery (something Griese took back late in the game).

It has to be the third year running now where we are just getting killed on jet sweeps. The announcers also pointed out how we were playing 2-high safeties and that was hurting our ability to stop these plays.

Is the problem there, or is it just with the DL (where apparently, space-eating, double-team-demanding monster Vince Valentine was ... benched?...)? People have been on Randle all year, and it isn't like we don't have a stable of potential at that position.

I'm just wondering, what's going to stop any old team from jet sweeping us to death every week? Starting with Northwestern. I hope we get this figured out quick! That November gauntlet is a doozy.

.It's essentially unstoppable by any device or action known to mankind. It's akin to giving someone the first two moves in Tic-Tac-Toe. Teamed up with play action passing to the tight end, we should count ourselves lucky that Santo's head didn't explode, killing and maiming several of his team mates.

.It's essentially unstoppable by any device or action known to mankind. It's akin to giving someone the first two moves in Tic-Tac-Toe. Teamed up with play action passing to the tight end, we should count ourselves lucky that Santo's head didn't explode, killing and maiming several of his team mates

Well, the talk around here seems like some of us would prefer that to happen.

Our defensive play is a lot like the qb situation to me. if we dont have faith in our dbs' to play man up coverage down the field so we can drop a safety down to stop the bleeding, then it's time to replace them guys for someone who can. Or at least give someone else a try. Same with Taylor. if we can trust his hurt toes and downfield throwing ability enought to use either, then its time to get someone who we can with. Because he aint frickin Tom Brady.

A push on the defensive front is the first way to start and then having LB's that can follow the play with their eyes and quickly react is another way, and also having safties that aren't lost helps too.

Pretty much this. If your defense's two gap system is designed to not have the lineman get penetration, the jet sweep can run behind the line without a problem. If you get penetration, it throws off the timing of the play, allowing the defense to attack it better and make a play.

Does end penetration stop it or just leave us vulnerable? I'm not a huge X's and O's guy but it seems like these are plays that need to be contained. By design, you can't expect to win every battle at the line (if you could, there's no need for any further design), so you need to have something that doesn't get gashed if they put hat on hat and manage to make a block.