The "Name your new head coach" thread megamerge

Fear of the unknown should not be a reason to keep a coach.

Philosophical statements can be used according to agenda. For instance, those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. We know what happened when we kept a coach around for 25 years......and we know what has happened when we changed coaches every 6 years.

Just how long would you like to keep him around without winning anything, and repeatedly being humiliated on national TV?

I guess the same amount of time it's exaggerated how we haven't won anything. Osborne went a few years himself with no conference championships, and later had a 7 year bowl losing streak.

Bo is not Osborne. Get over it

Fear of the unknown should not be a reason to keep a coach.

Philosophical statements can be used according to agenda. For instance, those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. We know what happened when we kept a coach around for 25 years......and we know what has happened when we changed coaches every 6 years.

Just how long would you like to keep him around without winning anything, and repeatedly being humiliated on national TV?

I guess the same amount of time it's exaggerated how we haven't won anything. Osborne went a few years himself with no conference championships, and later had a 7 year bowl losing streak.

Bo is not Osborne. Get over it

I'll take that to mean Pelini might be winning a little bit.

We're obviously not going to get any better with him as our HC so its time to move on. Bunch of you dummies kept defending him for reasons I cant explain, its time to cut ties and try something new because this is obviously not working.

We've been doing that every 6 years since Osborne's retirement. How's that working for us?

Don't even get your question. So are you suggesting that we stick with a coach that is not elevating the program just because past coaching hires have failed?

How has Pelini not elevated the program? Do you need to revisit Callahan's record and missed bowls?

Yes, he's elevated the program if you're using Callahan as the benchmark, but I'm seeing a team that's been a complete embarrassment nationally. Where are we going? Are you happy with the direction of the program? I'm not, I think changes need to be made.

Actually I do like what I see from a helicopter view. Pelini has learned quickly from personnel mistakes he made in the recent years. Our defensive line, while young, is going to be exciting to watch develop. LBs have been an Achilles heel, and I think once the maturation catches up with their athleticism, we could be in good shape there too. On offense, we've been led the past few seasons by a high risk/high reward quarterback with no proven depth there. Hopefully that's changing. I don't think musical head coaches is the answer.

How do you not get sick of seeing the same thing over and over and over again?

I haven't forgot the Callahan years. They were not that long ago. And despite what I read on this board sometimes, Husker football didn't begin in 1994.

I'm now convinced that TheSker is Bo Pelini. Nothing personal coach, but I think its time for a change.

We're obviously not going to get any better with him as our HC so its time to move on. Bunch of you dummies kept defending him for reasons I cant explain, its time to cut ties and try something new because this is obviously not working.

We've been doing that every 6 years since Osborne's retirement. How's that working for us?

Don't even get your question. So are you suggesting that we stick with a coach that is not elevating the program just because past coaching hires have failed?

How has Pelini not elevated the program? Do you need to revisit Callahan's record and missed bowls?

Yes, he's elevated the program if you're using Callahan as the benchmark, but I'm seeing a team that's been a complete embarrassment nationally. Where are we going? Are you happy with the direction of the program? I'm not, I think changes need to be made.

Actually I do like what I see from a helicopter view. Pelini has learned quickly from personnel mistakes he made in the recent years. Our defensive line, while young, is going to be exciting to watch develop. LBs have been an Achilles heel, and I think once the maturation catches up with their athleticism, we could be in good shape there too. On offense, we've been led the past few seasons by a high risk/high reward quarterback with no proven depth there. Hopefully that's changing. I don't think musical head coaches is the answer.

I haven't forgot the Callahan years. They were not that long ago. And despite what I read on this board sometimes, Husker football didn't begin in 1994.

I'm now convinced that TheSker is Bo Pelini. Nothing personal coach, but I think its time for a change.

Nothing personal taken. I'm convinced you get my point.

Pelini has plateaued and this is as good as it gets. We have the same problems each year with no signs of getting it fixed. Every year is filled with excuses. We're becoming an also-ran in a weak division. We get humiliated every time we play on national TV. Pelini continues to pacify the fan base with the same worn-out excuses and spiel every time, and sadly, some fans continue to buy it. It's time for a change.

These blowouts are like a toothache that keeps coming back. Sooner or later you gotta pull the tooth out at its root to stop the problem. Sadly some fans want to keep putting Oragel on it in hopes it will get better. It won't.

• Fire 2

It's evident how things have changed even from just a few weeks ago. During a major Nebraska loss, there were many Bo defenders all over this board...but today, it's hard to find them. Perhaps this Minnesota game is really when Bo lost the rest of the fan base.

I think there were a fair amount of folks that weren't really sold on Bo but still had hope we'd get it going. The previous two games fed that hope and while "audiogate" was still an issue it had died-down. Screwing the pooch on both sides of the ball against a team we're expected to beat deflated that hope.

Hey Bo, if you would quit wasting your time on this board and watch the tape of the CCG game last year your team might improve.

It's hard for me to engage in this conversation. And equally hard NOT to.

Osborne was nearly run out of town in 79', and blah blah, you know the rest.

"Osborne has done OKAY-----BUT he is certainly NO Devaney . . . "

I don't want that mistake to happen, as it very clearly could have back then. I, too, want to see our team doing better, especially with the blowouts. We played terrible today, too.

BUT, I am still of the mind to give Bo two more years. I like what I see coming up in our young guys. If he can't get it done with Armstrong, Cross, and the other VERY talented young guys by the time they are hitting their junior or senior years, I am all for moving on.

I long for the days of old, when a coach, if promising and winning MOST of the games, got the better part of ten years or a tad longer to really show some serious progress. Maybe I have rainbow colored glasses and a poor memory, though.

Pelini has plateaued and this is as good as it gets. We have the same problems each year with no signs of getting it fixed. Every year is filled with excuses. We're becoming an also-ran in a weak division. We get humiliated every time we play on national TV. Pelini continues to pacify the fan base with the same worn-out excuses and spiel every time, and sadly, some fans continue to buy it. It's time for a change.

These blowouts are like a toothache that keeps coming back. Sooner or later you gotta pull the tooth out at its root to stop the problem. Sadly some fans want to keep putting Oragel on it in hopes it will get better. It won't.

The most intelligent post I've read all day, Thank you +1

Hey Bo, if you would quit wasting your time on this board and watch the tape of the CCG game last year your team might improve.

I doubt Pelini is concerned that you are leading the search committee for his replacement.

Nothing personal taken. I'm convinced you get my point.

If your point is that you'd like to keep your job even though you have no clue how to fix the problems that exist, than yes I get your point coach!

I don't want that mistake to happen, as it very clearly could have back then. I, too, want to see our team doing better, especially with the blowouts. We played terrible today, too.

BUT, I am still of the mind to give Bo two more years. I like what I see coming up in our young guys. If he can't get it done with Armstrong, Cross, and the other VERY talented young guys by the time they are hitting their junior or senior years, I am all for moving on.

I long for the days of old, when a coach, if promising and winning MOST of the games, got the better part of ten years or a tad longer to really show some serious progress. Maybe I have rainbow colored glasses and a poor memory, though.

I would agree. I also like the young talent on the defensive line. I think it will be a special unit as they mature and gain experience together.

The timeline for Pelini keeps changing. This year, 2013, has been the one circled as The Year since the schedule was announced. Soft crossover games, and only 2 road trips that moved the needle at all, Mich and PSU, and one being crippled by sanctions. Fourth year starter at QB, deepest receiving corps ever at the school. No, no more time.

This is not like 1979. This is not a coach who cant get past one nemesis who just happened to be a football superpower. Its continual embarrassments on national TV. Losing to Minnesota, and getting pushed around the the process. This is about a team using a plan devised from one of the worst failures in program history, and the 'defensive guru' not having an answer to the question. A question that you would think he wouldnt be able to stop thinking about. This is about having at least one game a year where the team looks completely unprepared and unfocused. This is about a coach who looks lost and confused during postgames,one who has no answers. One who needs to be shown the door.

• Fire 1