The "Name your new head coach" thread megamerge

It's hard for me to engage in this conversation. And equally hard NOT to.

Osborne was nearly run out of town in 79', and blah blah, you know the rest. +++++1

"Osborne has done OKAY-----BUT he is certainly NO Devaney . . . "

I don't want that mistake to happen, as it very clearly could have back then. I, too, want to see our team doing better, especially with the blowouts. We played terrible today, too.

BUT, I am still of the mind to give Bo two more years. I like what I see coming up in our young guys. If he can't get it done with Armstrong, Cross, and the other VERY talented young guys by the time they are hitting their junior or senior years, I am all for moving on.

I long for the days of old, when a coach, if promising and winning MOST of the games, got the better part of ten years or a tad longer to really show some serious progress. Maybe I have rainbow colored glasses and a poor memory, though.

The timeline for Pelini keeps changing. This year, 2013, has been the one circled as The Year since the schedule was announced. Soft crossover games, and only 2 road trips that moved the needle at all, Mich and PSU, and one being crippled by sanctions. Fourth year starter at QB, deepest receiving corps ever at the school. No, no more time.

This is not like 1979. This is not a coach who cant get past one nemesis who just happened to be a football superpower. Its continual embarrassments on national TV. Losing to Minnesota, and getting pushed around the the process. This is about a team using a plan devised from one of the worst failures in program history, and the 'defensive guru' not having an answer to the question. A question that you would think he wouldnt be able to stop thinking about. This is about having at least one game a year where the team looks completely unprepared and unfocused. This is about a coach who looks lost and confused during postgames,one who has no answers. One who needs to be shown the door.

Brilliant post, but somehow The Sker a.k.a Bo Pelini will disagree with you.

Osborne was nearly run out of town in 79', and blah blah, you know the rest.

I don't want that mistake to happen, as it very clearly could have back then. I, too, want to see our team doing better, especially with the blowouts. We played terrible today, too.

BUT, I am still of the mind to give Bo two more years. I like what I see coming up in our young guys. If he can't get it done with Armstrong, Cross, and the other VERY talented young guys by the time they are hitting their junior or senior years, I am all for moving on.

I long for the days of old, when a coach, if promising and winning MOST of the games, got the better part of ten years or a tad longer to really show some serious progress. Maybe I have rainbow colored glasses and a poor memory, though.

The timeline for Pelini keeps changing. This year, 2013, has been the one circled as The Year since the schedule was announced. Soft crossover games, and only 2 road trips that moved the needle at all, Mich and PSU, and one being crippled by sanctions. Fourth year starter at QB, deepest receiving corps ever at the school. No, no more time.

This is not like 1979. This is not a coach who cant get past one nemesis who just happened to be a football superpower. Its continual embarrassments on national TV. Losing to Minnesota, and getting pushed around the the process. This is about a team using a plan devised from one of the worst failures in program history, and the 'defensive guru' not having an answer to the question. A question that you would think he wouldnt be able to stop thinking about. This is about having at least one game a year where the team looks completely unprepared and unfocused. This is about a coach who looks lost and confused during postgames,one who has no answers. One who needs to be shown the door.

Not much I can dispute there, except to suggest that Osborne DID have some similar issues. But the passage of time has let them fade. Had you rounded up any group of grizzled farmers grabbing a beer at the local bar after a loss in 1978, they could probably have listed off a bunch of complaints just as valid, and just as specific as you did.

I am really torn, and in the end I guess I am glad this is not up to me. Everyone here should be, too. I would suck as an AD.

Not much I can dispute there, except to suggest that Osborne DID have some similar issues. But the passage of time has let them fade. Had you rounded up any group of grizzled farmers grabbing a beer at the local bar after a loss in 1978, they could probably have listed off a bunch of complaints just as valid, and just as specific as you did.

I am really torn, and in the end I guess I am glad this is not up to me. Everyone here should be, too. I would suck as an AD.

I'd welcome the challenge and would already have a short list of candidates!

Do you also remember when folks walked three miles to and from school... in 2 feet of snow... both ways?

Now we soccer moms that drop their kids off in climate controlled 4wd SUV's, assuming school doesn't get cancelled.

The college football landscape has changed DRASTICALLY in the last 10 years, and yet we hear people refer back to the old days. We can change and adapt (Pelini has failed to do so) or we can be left in the dust.

In fact, I used to walk 3 miles to town and back from town, every Saturday during summer to visit the library. Seriously. So, yes, I am caught in the past, and am aware of it.

It makes it more difficult by far, to look at things objectively. Youth has the same effect, but for different reasons.

The game has changed no doubt, not always for the better, not always for the worse. Sorry, I don't want to drag us all down that circular road to hell again.

I just hope that our new AD is up to the task, and does whatever is in the school's, fans, and team's best interest, even if it's not popular. If that means sticking with Bo for a while, great. If it means letting him go, that's fine too. I am just glad I don't wear his shoes. He is starting to earn overtime pay, as far as I am concerned.

I don't think TO was ever ranked outside the top 20 at the end of the year, and he made the top 10 a couple of times.

In fact, I used to walk 3 miles to town and back from town, every Saturday during summer to visit the library. Seriously. So, yes, I am caught in the past, and am aware of it.

It makes it more difficult by far, to look at things objectively. Youth has the same effect, but for different reasons.

The game has changed no doubt, not always for the better, not always for the worse. Sorry, I don't want to drag us all down that circular road to hell again.

I just hope that our new AD is up to the task, and does whatever is in the school's, fans, and team's best interest, even if it's not popular. If that means sticking with Bo for a while, great. If it means letting him go, that's fine too. I am just glad I don't wear his shoes. He is starting to earn overtime pay, as far as I am concerned.

Worse than that, I listed to husker games on the radio (no national TV), and I had to celebrate or complain with people in my neighborhood because there was no internet. When the games were televised, I had to get out of my chair to change the channel during commercials.:)

• Fire 1

Basically, based on the rationale of these Bo-backers, Bo could go 0-12 and they'd still want to keep him, simply because they don't want change.

I'm a Pelini backer, but your post is way too simplistic. I don't want change because Pelini is performing in the W/L column and is doing the things personnel wise to take us to the next level. There are some posts about us being a laughing stock in the national media because of the blowouts on the scoreboard. We were a laughing stock ten years ago because of the coaching change with where our program was. Those with decision making ability are well aware of that.

Yeah, well, it doesn't count if it wasn't uphill both ways. :)

I think the posters tend to skew quite a bit younger than the average fan so I appreciate reading the perspective of some of our more seasoned fans, even if it's not too popular in the wake of a loss to the Goofers. Good post.

I don't think TO was ever ranked outside the top 20 at the end of the year, and he made the top 10 a couple of times.

Osborne took over a team that had won back to back national championships.

Basically, based on the rationale of these Bo-backers, Bo could go 0-12 and they'd still want to keep him, simply because they don't want change.

I'm a Pelini backer, but your post is way too simplistic. I don't want change because Pelini is performing in the W/L column and is doing the things personnel wise to take us to the next level. There are some posts about us being a laughing stock in the national media because of the blowouts on the scoreboard. We were a laughing stock ten years ago because of the coaching change with where our program was. Those with decision making ability are well aware of that.

So what is he doing to take us to the next level and when is that going to start?

We were a laughing stock then, and we're still a laughing stock. On a national level, Bo has never shed his label of being a hothead who can't win the big game. I live in Baton Rouge in the heart of LSU country where Bo was DC of one of their national championship teams, and even the LSU fans laughed when we hired Bo as HC. I defended the hire and defended Bo for his first few years, until I began to hear the same excuses over and over again, and how everything was "fixable" yet no fixes were ever made. Now I am convinced that Bo is simply pacifying the fan base by telling them what they want to hear, and that he really doesn't have the answers. Today was just more proof to solidify that belief.

What personnel changes is he making to take the program to the "next level"? What makes you think the program's trend line over the last 3 years isn't flat or a little down?