Nebraska Back on the Map After Alamo Win

It more than likely have offsetting penalties and replay the down. But with the Sun Belt refs, who knows.

I don't think so. Now, I don't claim to be an expert on all the rules, but...

If the final play of a game (or half) has a defensive penalty, the offense gets one untimed play - no time is placed back on the clock.

When penalties are offsetting, again, no time is placed on the clock. Time is placed back on the clock when the penalty occurs prior to the snap of the ball.

I think that the correct call would be offsetting penalties, and the game ends with no more time.

LAST PLAY OF THE GAME

Can You Believe It?

Play starts MI 2nd down and 10 at the Michigan 36 yard line.

Pass #7 Henne to #8 Avant. +13 (lateral –4…+9 on this part of the play)

#15 Breaston advances to the NEB 45 (ball lateral to the MI 45…0 on the play…Hart touched ball, Avant touched ball but Breaston credited with total of 0 yards)

Breaston’s lateral picked up by #86 Manningham on MI 45. Ran back to MI 36…lateral to the MI 32…Manningham’s total –13 on the play)

#8 Avant goes to MI 32 (runs to the MI 28 –4…his lateral credited as a fumble is worth –8 for a total of –12) Note: Avant is +9 and –12 in the same play for a total of –3.

#20 Hart recovers Avant’s fumble at the MI 20 gets to the MI 29, laterals to the MI 25 (+5 on that portion of the play)

#89 Ecker gets the lateral from Hart at the MI 25, goes to the NEB 13 (+62 on that portion of the play)

Tackle on the play NEB #1 Bowman and #21 Brothers ends the play and the game.

Summary of Final Play:

Henne (1 completion for 51 yards)

Avant (gets the reception for a total of –3)

Breaston (no reception for 0 yards)

Manningham (no reception for –13)

Hart (gets no reception for +5)

Ecker (no reception for +62)

MI has 67 plus yards on the play added to the negative 16 for a net of 51 total yards on the final play of the game.

I think we need to look at that last play. Sure there were a lot more NU players, coaches, etc. on the field than UM, but there were certainly some UM players, coaches on the field. What happens then? If there was a flag, would they be off set or directed to NU for having more players on the field??

Two little boys walk into their mothers room and grab her purse. One grabs $5 dollars, the other grabs $1 dollar. Is one anymore at fault than the other?

That's pretty crazy, but isn't it illegal to for the offense to advance the ball on a play like that? I have heard mumblings of this and am trying to look through the NCAA rulebook to find clarification

Either way, Brothers deserves credit. His job was to defend the endzone. He did that.

Well ya know, Dave, they were talking about that play during Gameday on ESPN.

They made note that if the refs would have thrown a flag, while the players from both teams went onto the field, it would have been off-setting penalties.

So riddle me this. NU could have been the ones ultimately screwed over by the refs if Michigan would've scored because the refs never threw the flag.

Follow me? ;)

As I continue to think about the call, I am confusing myself. The players (from both teams) did come on the field while the play was in motion; so would it be illegal participation and would a UM TD stand? <_<

That's pretty crazy, but isn't it illegal to for the offense to advance the ball on a play like that? I have heard mumblings of this and am trying to look through the NCAA rulebook to find clarification

its not illegal! no way. as long as they don't make a forward pass past the line of scrimmage it was legal. and it seemed like every pitch was backwards.

BTW, it seems like every highlight they show of the ol' Dallas Texans (now the KC Chiefs), they were running plays like that, like Rugby in an American Football game.

NCAA 2005 Football Rulebook

Excerpts

Section 25. Spots

Spot Where Run Ends

ARTICLE 8. The spot where the run ends is at that point:

a. Where the ball is declared dead in player possession.

b. Where player possession is lost on a fumble.

c. Where a legal (or illegal) handing of the ball occurs.

d. Where an illegal forward pass is thrown.

e. Where a backward pass is thrown.

f.  Where an illegal scrimmage kick is made beyond the line of scrimmage.

g. Where a return kick occurs.

OK, well what is a running play?

Section 30. Play classification

Article 4. A running play is any live-ball action other than that which occurs before player possession is reestablished during a free kick play, a scrimmage kick play or a legal forward pass play.

a. A running play includes the spot where the run ends and the interval of any subsequent fumble or backward or illegal pass from the time the run ends until possession is gained or regained or the ball is declared dead by rule(A.R. 2-30-4-I and II).

1. There may be more than one running play during a down if player possession is    gained or regained beyond the neutral zone.

2. There may not be more than one running play behind the neutral zone if no change of team possession occurs.

b. A run is that segment of a running play before player possession is lost.

Does this apply? Maybe AR can make sense of all this mumbo jumbo..

I guess the big question is:

1. When players illegally participate from the side line should the play be called dead and penalties assessed?

2. I would imagine if players from both teams were on the field, the team that scored would be just as guilty in aiding to the score by "illegally participating" as would be the ones trying to defend it in the same manner.

Makes sense. :smokin

NCAA 2005 Football Rulebook

Excerpts

Section 25. Spots

Spot Where Run Ends

ARTICLE 8. The spot where the run ends is at that point:

a. Where the ball is declared dead in player possession.

b. Where player possession is lost on a fumble.

c. Where a legal (or illegal) handing of the ball occurs.

d. Where an illegal forward pass is thrown.

e. Where a backward pass is thrown.

f.  Where an illegal scrimmage kick is made beyond the line of scrimmage.

g. Where a return kick occurs.

OK, well what is a running play?

Section 30. Play classification

Article 4. A running play is any live-ball action other than that which occurs before player possession is reestablished during a free kick play, a scrimmage kick play or a legal forward pass play.

a. A running play includes the spot where the run ends and the interval of any subsequent fumble or backward or illegal pass from the time the run ends until possession is gained or regained or the ball is declared dead by rule(A.R. 2-30-4-I and II).

1. There may be more than one running play during a down if player possession is    gained or regained beyond the neutral zone.

2. There may not be more than one running play behind the neutral zone if no change of team possession occurs.

b. A run is that segment of a running play before player possession is lost.

Does this apply? Maybe AR can make sense of all this mumbo jumbo..

Confusing, but...

1. You can have more than one run in a play - this one had a number of them. For that play, the first run ended when the first lateral occurred (backward pass). A lateral is permissible past the line of scrimmage, and may be made to any player. Each time a lateral occurred, one run ended and another began. See Article 4(a)(a).

2. The fumble also ended one run, and began another. See Article 8(B) and Article 4(a).

I think what you are looking for is the rule regarding advancing the ball. Don't know which it is, but it includes the "right" to advance through laterals. Since a play can have more than one run in it (beyond the line of scrimmage), you can advance through multiple laterals or fumbles. Each lateral or fumble is a separate "run" within a single play.

Now, let's discuss my bill, shall we?