Pelini vs. Beck

Anyone else listening to Big Red Overreaction? Damon Benning is of the opinion that Pelini is making Beck start Martinez and Beck is reacting by putting Martinez in a position to fail. Pretty interesting theory, particularly given Beck's comments after practice on Tuesday and Pelini's bizarre post-game press conference.

Wasn't there rumor floating around a couple of years ago similar to this? That Pelini was making Watson start Martinez but Watson wanted Cody Green or even RKIII?

Yes. Wats wanted Lee and Bo wanted Martinez IIRC.

The coaching staff seems to have completely lost the team. That's what I'm seeing...in what they say, don't say and in their body language.

No. I dont think the staff has. I think Taylor has. Watch the first three games. Then watch the next three games. Then re watch today, and try to argue with me.

I don't think we necessarily disagree Mr. A. Martinez is out there because the coaching staff keeps sending him out there. And I don't think the team believes in him...or in the coaching staff that contines to force him on them.

so it's mutiny?

I think the notion that players played harder for one guy or another is at best, unsubstantiated.

But we do run a smoother, crisper offense with Ron Kellogg back there and even Tommy, maybe. I don't know, I'm no expert, but something just doesn't look or feel right when Taylor's running the show in comparison. Chalk it up to his injury situation or Beck being less able (or willing! conspiracy :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:. just kidding. to be clear) to call the offense with Taylor at the helm or whatever you like.

Let me tell you a little story

when I played high school ball as a lineman, we had a pair of back. One that was really good, and the other that was just really fast but lacked...well....balls. He was lightening fast, but no matter what, always wanted to try and get outside as opposed to hitting up inside through the hole we would make. After this going on over and over, and the other guy coming in and doing so, and rattling off 5-10 yards right through the center over and over, we went to coach and flat out told him, that we linemen are having a really hard time blocking for so and so with 100% effort and that a change had to be made. We were a C1 school, and he was our freind, but god damn it, we wanted to win. Coaches made the change. That guy's carries were drastically reduced and we actually had a sophomore pick up a bunch of carries and jump onto the radar. Offensively, we wound up having our best performances in 4 of our last 5 games.

All I'm saying is that from experience, it does happen. And, if you go back and watch the qb battle in early '99, you would see it's pretty obvious that the guys played better (not necessarily harder) for Crouch than Newcombe. It does happen.

I should retract and say that it's probably not an effort issue, but rather a chemistry one. 4 games with Taylor, we're 2-2 and the offense hasnt looked even half as good as it has under the 2 backups with a 3-0 record.

Yeah, I'm not saying it doesn't -- Ganz is a great example of when it did. However, I don't think we have a real reason to believe these guys aren't behind Taylor. They always have been and stick up for their guy at QB.

I think the other two just run the show better. Though Tommy's show is obvously more limited, but then again, so is injured Taylor's.

Yeah, I'm not saying it doesn't -- Ganz is a great example of when it did. However, I don't think we have a real reason to believe these guys aren't behind Taylor. They always have been and stick up for their guy at QB.

I think the other two just run the show better. Though Tommy's show is obvously more limited, but then again, so is injured Taylor's.

Well that's why i retracted some on the effort part. But again, there's a serious chemistry issue with Taylor in the game. Im sure they all want it to work, but it just isnt right now.

I cannot believe Tommy Armstrong never even stepped foot on the field. I just can't believe it.

Jesus christ True. What the f#*k is going on. This is an embarrassment. If Martinez trots out for the first snap next Saturday, I'm walking out that north stadium and not watching another play all year.

I like Taylor as a person. and he's been a warrior for us. And i've tried to be nice about saying these past 5 weeks the it's time to move on, but it really is. I just dont get it anymore. If what Benning is thinking has any substance, then Bo really does need to go. Seriously, what does the Martinez family have on Bo that we have to continue down this road.

it's one thing to call for the backup when we've never seen them play (ala Carnes, Green, etc), but we've seen the team play with a level of fluidity and confidence under Armstrong and kellogg in all 3 phases for 3 games that we havent seen consistently ever under Bo that I know of.

Bo said in the presser today that it wasnt Taylor's fault. That the team played poorly and didnt execute all across the board bla bla bla. But why? Doesnt everyone see that Taylor being back in the game, that the team reverted back to playing sh**ty like they did before Taylor's injury. The players know who gives them the best chance to succeed at qb. We saw it plain and simple today. Total regression. And after the progress made on both sides of the ball last couple games, Taylor's presence is the only explanation. hell, even our punter couldnt do his job today. What gives? It's just not working.

Was I supposed to read this post sarcastically? Should we be blaming Taylor for Ameer's fumble, too?

And on top of all of that-- look at who we played in those games. I guess we can't definitively say it *wasn't* because of Taylor, but let's Occam's Razor this and look at the quality of the offenses that the D has had to stop these past several weeks.

I think it's all about momentum not so much really in that players will play 'better' depending on who for example the QB is. Momentum is so huge and is that hidden x factor that you can't practice or even execute but will win you ballgames. Keeping drives alive gives your entire team momentum and also keeps your defense off the field.

There is simply no way "the team plays harder" if Armstrong plays this game and Martinez doesn't. We spotted that defense a ten-point lead and they couldn't hold it against Minnesota.

When are people going to learn that the Quarterback has zero affect on the defense? And what will the excuse be next year when Martinez is gone and we give up another game like this, or another 500 yards of offense to a weak team? Hangover from the Martinez Era?

The offense not being able to keep the D off the field to catch their breath, make adjustments, etc. absolutely can affect the defense. So can turnovers. So your statement is absolutely false my friend.

this...

I don't post a lot, but I read often. I read a lot of people thinking that Nebraska is done and will never be a top tier team again and that this is the best we've got. I'm sorry, I don't buy it. Look at what Missouri is doing right now. Are they that much more talented than Nebraska? I think not. However, would we come close to shutting out a team like SC? I highly doubt it. End of story. It's coaching. It's watching a team that is unprepared and doesn't adjust. Hell, two weeks to prepare for Minnesota is not enough to get it done? Bogus.

Yep, and as Junior said in another thread, if this defense is playing poorly because of who's behind center, we have far bigger problems than Taylor Martinez.

That's the thing. I think we do right now. There's a total lack of chemistry. I wanted to give Taylor this chance. I really did, becuase he did deserve it. The chance that is. But he's not the answer anymore. For some reason, the team-even winning-has looked rather uninspired all around with Taylor in at qb. There was a spark. A confidence. A swagger with the other, regardless of the competition. I'm really trying to observe how this is not being seen right now.

And I don't understand how this is eluding so many people calling for Martinez' head as a solution to so many of this team's problems: If we can make this whole team play better by benching Martinez, the problem isn't Martinez, it's the whole team. Because that would mean these guys have let one player get into them so much that they cannot function properly with him on the field.

So you take that guy off the field, but that doesn't fix the problem that these guys are prone to one player/thing affect them so greatly. That predilection still exists, and what's going to happen when another player takes over that "trouble causer" role? We bench him, too? What if it's Ameer and his fumbleitis? We bench Ameer in favor of Newby?

Lather, rinse, repeat.

The cause of the problem isn't Martinez. He would be a symptom, or a trigger.

So why not fix the brains of the people using Martinez as an excuse rather than using Martinez as a scapegoat?

And bear in mind, I'm of the opinion Martinez shouldn't take another snap as our QB based on his injury. I'm simply saying that Martinez isn't the problem in that scenario - the team is.