Pelini vs. Beck

Yep, and as Junior said in another thread, if this defense is playing poorly because of who's behind center, we have far bigger problems than Taylor Martinez.

That's the thing. I think we do right now. There's a total lack of chemistry. I wanted to give Taylor this chance. I really did, becuase he did deserve it. The chance that is. But he's not the answer anymore. For some reason, the team-even winning-has looked rather uninspired all around with Taylor in at qb. There was a spark. A confidence. A swagger with the other, regardless of the competition. I'm really trying to observe how this is not being seen right now.

And I don't understand how this is eluding so many people calling for Martinez' head as a solution to so many of this team's problems: If we can make this whole team play better by benching Martinez, the problem isn't Martinez, it's the whole team. Because that would mean these guys have let one player get into them so much that they cannot function properly with him on the field.

So you take that guy off the field, but that doesn't fix the problem that these guys are prone to one player/thing affect them so greatly. That predilection still exists, and what's going to happen when another player takes over that "trouble causer" role? We bench him, too? What if it's Ameer and his fumbleitis? We bench Ameer in favor of Newby?

Lather, rinse, repeat.

The cause of the problem isn't Martinez. He would be a symptom, or a trigger.

So why not fix the brains of the people using Martinez as an excuse rather than using Martinez as a scapegoat?

And bear in mind, I'm of the opinion Martinez shouldn't take another snap as our QB based on his injury. I'm simply saying that Martinez isn't the problem in that scenario - the team is.

I think we're agreeing, just on different premise maybe? And that again is the issue. But the bottome line is, and this cant be argued with. We've seen an emotional spark, confidence and swagger for 3 games prior to today. Then today happens and all that progress is gone. Compitition? Whatever. We still did to bad teams what youre supposed to do. Illinois and Purdue never had a chance. And minnesota shouldntve either. But the thing is, this team today looked like the second half team against UCLA. A total continuation as if the last 3 games never happened. Why is that? The ONLY difference is who the quarterback was. There is a total lack of confidence in a hurt WR/Safety/Athlete/Kick Returner trying to be a qb. The qb position is the issue here.

Or, Or...we got off to a quick start, thought that we were going to cruise, Minnesota showed some heart and scored and then we didn't know what to do. THAT sounds a lot similar to what UCLA did.

• Fire 1

I understand Knapp. But look at it this way. 4 games with Taylor. 3 games without. Aside from one bad quarter against SDSU, the defense has played with swagger and confidence. The offense-aside from Ameer who has been in beast mode regardless-was a sh#t ton more fluid. We certainly didnt see receivers running into each other and winding up in the same zones. The playcalling made sense. It's just affecting the whole team. Sure we spotted the D ten points. But what's wrong with understanding our defense is gonna give 10-15 points as young as they are? Once Taylor was sacked on that rollout-where it was 100% his fault for not continuing his stride-our offense and team as a whole went into our "here we go again" shell. Minnesota 100% dominated from that point on, aside from one long flukish run (dont kid yourself, it was flukish, and doesnt erase the other 3 1/2 quarters of bad play). I can say with certainty that all is well with Tommy and Ron, but I've seen enought to be 95% sure it wouldve been. Supposedley, Armstrong had a "bad" game against Purdue, but the defense still played with swag and confidence and we still blew them out on the road. Is Minnesota better than them? Sure, but not a swing of 48 points better.

Haven't read through the later stages of this thread so forgive me if this has been picked apart.

Yeah our offense looked fluid at times - but we played an FCS school and two bottom barrel conference opponents. You'll probably say Minnesota is bottom barrel too, and you wouldn't be completely wrong, but they're 6-2. Not a bad team by any means.

Still, that's not to mention our receivers had more drops against Purdue than they had against Minnesota. So that was less fluid at least. Oh, and Tommy threw three interceptions on 25% completion percentage. Taylor has never had a game that poor. Ever. Let alone against a team like Turdue.

We didn't see receivers running into each other? Uhh, Sam Burtch left the game against Purdue because he and Quincy collided, remember?

Come on man. While I won't say flat out that Taylor being in the game hasn't or didn't have a negative impact on the team, you can't say with confidence that it did either. We're dealing with way too many intangibles, indirect implications and behind-the-scenes decisions and thinking that we don't have a clue about to make a statement like that. Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? Perhaps. Is it obvious? Only to a simpleton.

My suggestion is to point the finger at the coaching staff, like this thread originally started as, but that you and others redirected into a Martinez criticism fest. Regardless of why or how or on purpose or not, Beck has put his offense in a poor position to succeed too many times this season, and our defense gave up semi-truck sized holes to run through.

so the team is so pissed they allow 8 yards on most first downs? I just don't understand how Taylor affects the D like that?

If you watch the game again, you can the defense actually played pretty well the first 3rd to half of the game. Minnesota got it rollin once it became obvious that the playcalling and qb play we totally imcompetent. It's one thing for a defense to know they have to be lights out cuz your offense just plain sucks like in '09, but it's a whole other psychological effect when you have to be so when you know the offense is kick ass, should give you room for error, but is completely pooping their pants cuz you know for a fact that the qb playing only 75% healthy, and, quite frankly, is not the best qb anymore even at 100% healthy.

We're dealin with a different animal here folks. I dont like what I've heard since Saturday. This is well beyond schemes and x's and o's. All I'll say is prepare yourself for a very VERY rough November if Bo doesnt drastically change some things RIGHT NOW.

Beck wanted Armstrong to start......

Pelini wanted Taylor......

That's what I've been hearing.......

So he abandoned the run and called an awful game to protest?

Bold move there Cotton, we'll see how that plays out.

Interesting thought, but it would surprise me if he did so on purpose. Beck has a history of calling some baffling games, I think he's a terrible OC and I've thought so since he took the reins. This shows the control freak that is Bo Pelini IMO. I know ultimately the head coach says, "this is the depth chart" but it would make sense to me for my OC, DC, Special Teams Coach, etc. to come to me and say, these are the starters for my unit based on results on the field and practice that week. I've never been a head coach though so...............

Late to it, but damned good discussion guys...Accountability, I am totally with you in all of your expressed thoughts. I would offer this in addition to what Barry Switzer said about 'the Jimmy's and Joe's"... There's something intangible in college football about what the total 'energy' is on the sideline (screw offense or defense) ...there just is. TM sucks that energy out of the whole team for some reason. Honest to God I don't know why, but he does.

TM's impact is significant enough to bring down Pelini's tenure at Nebraska. I believe that.

Knapp, I have never seen you so wrong. (and I've been 'mostly' a lurker for a very, very long time...)

I really fricking hope not.....

We can speculate all we want if Taylor audibled out of runs plays into pass plays.......we won't know.

Interesting thought, but it would surprise me if he did so on purpose. Beck has a history of calling some baffling games, I think he's a terrible OC and I've thought so since he took the reins. This shows the control freak that is Bo Pelini IMO. I know ultimately the head coach says, "this is the depth chart" but it would make sense to me for my OC, DC, Special Teams Coach, etc. to come to me and say, these are the starters for my unit based on results on the field and practice that week. I've never been a head coach though so...............

I actually think Beck is a solid OC......

NEB's rushing offense has been very very impressive and last year, with a healthy TM, the team did some damage to some good defenses...hence the HUGE raise. And yes, he has called some sh**ty games to boot. I still think he is a solid OC.

We can agree to disagree though. No problem. ; P