The Mark Richt Campaign

There's no doubt that Frost would be an extremely risky hire. You'd have to decide whether his star potential is so great that it's worth the risk. He'd have to decide that too. If he takes a HC job before he's ready, or if he takes the wrong HC job, he could go the way of Turner Gill (who was the last rising star coach that everyone thought would be Nebraska's HC).

I don't know if Frost would be the right hire or not. It would be risky. But I think he would bring a lot of good energy to a program that right now appears apathetic. I think he could recruit, I think he could run the offense, and I think he understands what the Nebraska job is about, he understands the culture (I know EZ-E disagrees with this).

The biggest reason I would want Frost is because I want our team to practice the way Oregon does. That's how Nebraska practiced during the Osborne era. And I think it's why Oregon is in better shape, more aggressive, more tough, more physical, smarter, and why they even tackle better than a Pelini-led defense.

But all the other stuff... can he handle being the CEO of a program like Nebraska? Does he know what it takes to win championships as a head coach? Could he put together the staff? All unknowns. He would undoubtedly be a risky hire - but I'm not sure how many other realistic candidates there are who truly have the same potential.

• Fire 1

There's no doubt that Frost would be an extremely risky hire. You'd have to decide whether his star potential is so great that it's worth the risk. He'd have to decide that too. If he takes a HC job before he's ready, or if he takes the wrong HC job, he could go the way of Turner Gill (who was the last rising star coach that everyone thought would be Nebraska's HC).

I don't know if Frost would be the right hire or not. It would be risky. But I think he would bring a lot of good energy to a program that right now appears apathetic. I think he could recruit, I think he could run the offense, and I think he understands what the Nebraska job is about, he understands the culture (I know EZ-E disagrees with this).

The biggest reason I would want Frost is because I want our team to practice the way Oregon does. That's how Nebraska practiced during the Osborne era. And I think it's why Oregon is in better shape, more aggressive, more tough, more physical, smarter, and why they even tackle better than a Pelini-led defense.

But all the other stuff... can he handle being the CEO of a program like Nebraska? Does he know what it takes to win championships as a head coach? Could he put together the staff? All unknowns. He would undoubtedly be a risky hire - but I'm not sure how many other realistic candidates there are who truly have the same potential.

Every time you shuffle up any staff and make a new hire you are taking a huge risk. Personally, I compare it a lot to the success of a QB that is drafted. It is almost a coinflip. That being said, if our AD and Cancellor decide to go in a different direction I want this risk to be very calculated. Hiring a guy that has 1/2 season running an offense isn't what I would call taking a calculated risk. You may as well pick up a shot gun and point it at yourself and see if it's loaded.

Look, I have my own feelings about Scott Frost personally and I know some stories about his dad while his dad was coaching that really cloud my opinion of him. I do believe he is going to be a good head football coach some day if that is what Scott wants to do. But he is in no way ready to do this job here.

Frost may be end up as Nebraska's head coach someday, but it won't be next year, nor should it. Let him continue to build his resume, and if the stars align perfectly for him to be hired here, then fantastic.

I'd love to see either Richt or Peterson or Smart or Strong, with Frost as OC.

To be honest, Muschamp may be up for grabs after this season as well. He'd make a great NU DC.

Wow, a lot of interesting views in this thread. As for the debate on whether Bo is progressing or regressing as a headcoach, I would have to agree with those who argue with the regression. Bo came in and did a bang up job in turning the program around, and in my opinion, his best team was the 2009 team that should have won the Big 12 championship (the offense stunk but the defense was better than spectacular). Since 2009, it seems as though the team and coaching staff have had way to many letdown games, miscues, bad decisions, etc... I'm sure it's debatable whether 2009 was the best season under Pelini, but the point is really twofold here:1. The defense has continued to get worse since 2009. 2. The 2009 season was one in which Bo was still using mostly players that the prior coach had recruited. Now that we have teams with all of Bo's recruits and coaches, things seem worse than when he first came in. Perhaps some will argue that he simply overachieved in 2009 and set the bar too high, but Nebraska isn't like your average football program. The bar will always be set high.

Frost may be end up as Nebraska's head coach someday, but it won't be next year, nor should it. Let him continue to build his resume, and if the stars align perfectly for him to be hired here, then fantastic.

I'd love to see either Richt or Peterson or Smart or Strong, with Frost as OC.

To be honest, Muschamp may be up for grabs after this season as well. He'd make a great NU DC.

Frost won't leave Oregon until he can land a HC job...there will be openings this winter, but he may hang until he can pick his spot.

I don't think I want Frost as either HC or OC. OC seems even less promising than HC. He has one year being OC-in-name under a HC who is running his predecessor HC's offense. I like what we have in Beck.

This idea that Frost is only "OC-in-name" is just flat-out incorrect. He's the offensive coordinator. He's calling the plays, not Helfrich. It's a fact.

Yeah, no chance Richt comes here. Just because he's from Omaha doesn't mean he wants to leave UGA.

It might not be his choice... a couple more losses and his seat will be warm again. The fans in Athens want a change.

As for Saban, he is not coming here. Texas will match any offer we'd make to him and up it.

So you want NU to hire someone who (hypothetically) got fired for not producing enough to get Georgia to be a consistent, top-level BCS school and repeatedly getting outclassed by inferior opponents?

Also...

Mark-Richt-Farts-in-Public-ESPN-College-GameDay-Signs-Clemson-Georgia-Humor.jpg

EZ-E, I'm not saying you're wrong, but do you think it's fair to consider that UGA this year has played basically all their games aside from the opener without their:

- top 2 running backs

- starting safety

- starting corner

- top 3 WRs

Think how we would be if we lost Ameer, Cross, Kenny Bell, Quincy, Jamal Turner, Ciante Evans, and Corey Cooper. Literally, consider it for one second.

Then, they have 12 FRESHMAN in their 2-deep on defense. Not because of roster mismanagement or playing a bunch of unathletic seniors while they redshirt the freshman, because they had 7 defensive players drafted last year!!

They have played 7 games and 4 have been against ranked teams including 3 in the top 10. They have 2 top 10 wins this season despite the youth and injuries. Anyone can look at their record and say they are underachieving, but take a look at the whole picture before making any judgments - if you still feel that way, fine. But don't act like what he is accomplishing is anywhere close to watch we are accomplishing.

These "excuses" don't apply to our current staff and they won't apply to a hypothetical new staff.

No wiggle room. You get hired here, you win fhe conference in year two or we've taken a step back. End of discussion.

but we gladly give Pelini 5 years and we are still at square one?........with his recruits?

If you can't admit we came a long ways in a short amount of time under Bo you really aren't being objective. In two years we were playing in a conference championship game that they stole from us against a team that had every opportunity to win a National Title. That was progress. If this hypothetical new staff doesn't do better than that in year two it's a step back.

I don't understand this logic. We're going backwards so you want to either continue the trend or give a new coach two years before we're considered worse than we are now?

EZ-E, I'm not saying you're wrong, but do you think it's fair to consider that UGA this year has played basically all their games aside from the opener without their:

- top 2 running backs

- starting safety

- starting corner

- top 3 WRs

Think how we would be if we lost Ameer, Cross, Kenny Bell, Quincy, Jamal Turner, Ciante Evans, and Corey Cooper. Literally, consider it for one second.

Then, they have 12 FRESHMAN in their 2-deep on defense. Not because of roster mismanagement or playing a bunch of unathletic seniors while they redshirt the freshman, because they had 7 defensive players drafted last year!!

They have played 7 games and 4 have been against ranked teams including 3 in the top 10. They have 2 top 10 wins this season despite the youth and injuries. Anyone can look at their record and say they are underachieving, but take a look at the whole picture before making any judgments - if you still feel that way, fine. But don't act like what he is accomplishing is anywhere close to watch we are accomplishing.

These "excuses" don't apply to our current staff and they won't apply to a hypothetical new staff.

No wiggle room. You get hired here, you win fhe conference in year two or we've taken a step back. End of discussion.

but we gladly give Pelini 5 years and we are still at square one?........with his recruits?

If you can't admit we came a long ways in a short amount of time under Bo you really aren't being objective. In two years we were playing in a conference championship game that they stole from us against a team that had every opportunity to win a National Title. That was progress. If this hypothetical new staff doesn't do better than that in year two it's a step back.

yep, we had Suh, who made up half the defense.....so we were down, then up, now back down...where is the process that ensures we make steady progress, as Bo gets his own recruits?

Bottom line:

If there is a change made, the new staff better win the conference in year two and a BCS bowl. That expectation needs to be set. If this doesn't happen, there was no reason to fire anyone.

The new staff would also have to win a minimum of 75% of its games through 5 seasons or any type of change was moronic.

The new staff also better have top ten recruiting classes rated by every service across the board. This isn't my expectation moreso what the board feels.

You also better NEVER ONE TIME lose to an unranked team.

The above are the expectations that should be set if a change is made. Be better than the last staff. If the above isn't met, you must need to recycle at the end of the 5-6 year period.

That's such a crock of sh#t. Your going to hold a new coaching staff to a standard that you don't even hold your golden boy Bo Pelini to? Ha gimme a break.

Does he honestly think that Nebraska would have been mad if we'd lost a heartbreaker to UCLA by a late FG miss or something like that? or if we'd lost to Wisconsin last year the same way? No it's HOW we lose. We got beat by MINNESOTA by double digits on National television. And the game could have been worse. I don't know how you can defend that. Whatever is in your Bo-laid, I want it.

Didnt realize that you were into moral victories. That is the vibe I am getting. You may have to clarify.

Moral victory versus progress. Bo is looking at probably matching his nine wins this year (at best) but in the weakest schedule he's had in his 6 years...by far. To me that's a step back. 3 straight years of steps back. This year isn't an anomaly. Are we as good as 09 or 10? For the last 3 years have we matched 09 or 10? So three years back. I think our idea of standards for a HC are much different. We need consistency before we can take the next step. This team needs stability.

- top 2 running backs

- starting safety

- starting corner

- top 3 WRs

I don't understand this logic. We're going backwards so you want to either continue the trend or give a new coach two years before we're considered worse than we are now?

So, a new staff has a ton of young talent that has won 9-10 games a year since their time here and it isn't a reasonable expectation to expect a CC in year two? Why? Bo took a team that lost 7 games the year before and won 9 and then 10 and played for a CC. If you fire someone you better get someone better than the guy you fired. That isn't unreasonable is it???

So, a new staff has a ton of young talent that has won 9-10 games a year since their time here and it isn't a reasonable expectation to expect a CC in year two? Why? Bo took a team that lost 7 games the year before and won 9 and then 10 and played for a CC. If you fire someone you better get someone better than the guy you fired. That isn't unreasonable is it???

I see what you're saying, but you don't fire a coach with a replacement candidate in mind (most of the time). You fire a coach for one or more of a wide variety of reasons relating either to the team's performance on the field, or the coach's personal life in extreme cases (Petrino).

I like the young talent on this team, and I give Bo credit for how far he has brought this program after inheriting that dumpster fire back in 2008. However, it becomes more and more clear that Bo is not the guy that will get us to that next level.

If we still played in the Big 12, he would have been further by now due to his defensive system. In the B1G, he needs a huge system adjustment to his defensive scheme that he has flat out refused to change despite horrible results over 2 and a half years. It's time to part ways.

I don't think I want Frost as either HC or OC. OC seems even less promising than HC. He has one year being OC-in-name under a HC who is running his predecessor HC's offense. I like what we have in Beck.

This idea that Frost is only "OC-in-name" is just flat-out incorrect. He's the offensive coordinator. He's calling the plays, not Helfrich. It's a fact.

Notwithstanding rumors that he isn't anymore, not only did Frost not design this offense he is in year 1 of having the OC title under, neither did Helfrich.

Look at it this way. Bo was a superstar coordinator when he arrived here, and look where that got us. Bo could have let Carl or JP call the plays if he wanted, and that decision wouldn't have changed the reality of what Carl and JP are. Even Beck is his own OC, as his career in the Texas HS and lower college ranks demonstrates.

Frost has shown a lot of promise as a coach, period, and so has climbed the ranks within the Oregon organization, but that doesn't confer upon him the title of star coordinator. He has, if anything, more potential as a future head coach somewhere, but in my opinion it'd be a considerable risk to let him learn on the job here in that capacity.