Expectations for the Head Coach at Nebraska

EZ-E

Another thread got me thinking about this.

What are the gawd-honest expectations for the man that holds this title? I dont want anyone throwing any names of people they think would be good HCs; if you are in charge of hiring for this position, you got your top choice guy, you've locked him into a contract, when he asks what your expectations are what do you tell him?????

Every game, the players give it their all.

A conference title once a decade is the bare minimum, preferably one conference title every 5 years.

5 losses = unacceptable. 4 losses = bare minimum. 3 losses or fewer = good.

Agreed but I'll give him one 5 loss year in the first 3 years if he has to change players or fix recruiting of different style of players that fit his scheme.

Every game, the players give it their all.

A conference title once a decade is the bare minimum, preferably one conference title every 5 years.

5 losses = unacceptable. 4 losses = bare minimum. 3 losses or fewer = good.

Agreed but I'll give him one 5 loss year in the first 3 years if he has to change players or fix recruiting of different style of players that fit his scheme.

That's a fair point, I will accept that as an addendum.

-Represent the university well. This means having good media relations, graduation rates, and various good deeds (for Pelini: see Jack)

-Win games. This means winning the vast majority of games you should win, and only losing games in which you are clearly the lesser opponent. for instance, ohio state last year, to me, is not a bad loss. The score at the end was bad, but the game was MUCH closer than the score. Nebraska looked to be the better team in the first half, but the game got away from them after that punt return (also keep in mind, burkhead was running up and down the field before he got hurt, again). I think Ohio State was (and is) clearly more talented and also has a better coach (which will happen, even at Nebraska). Losses against Minnesota and Northwestern a la 2011 are NEVER acceptable, but can be overlooked if they are few and far between (once every 5 years at max). Pelini has one of these 'unacceptable' losses nearly every year (ISU 09, Texas 10, NW 11, Wisconsin 12, Minnesota 13).

That is it. If the coach is a good guy and wins a respectable amount, I will keep him around as long as he wants to be here.

Play four quarters of football. I hate watching us get behind and the players quit, you can tell they are showing up, going through the motions and have no passion. Look at Wisconsin last year, and Washington in the bowl game, and now Minnesota this year. Did you see how hard Minnesota's players were working?

Play with passion, don't quit, be physical, make the other team wish they weren't playing us. Get our fundamentals back to where they need to be, play clean and play hard.

I don't have a huge problem with Pelini's record... its how the losses look, its just embarrassing. I think it is intangible things that bother me the most... the poor attitude of the team. Kenny Bell tweeted something along the lines of "time to go collect rent" on Friday. It really bugged me,like he expected it to be an easy paycheck, just show up and win. I want the players to have the attitude "Time to go to work". Ohter playes tweeted things like "Business trip", it just seems like a bad attitude.

I posted this in another thread but the wins are not a big deal to me. Bo's a 10-win regular and a CCG game regular. That's impressive, but it's not the important thing. The important thing is a coach that 'gets it' and embraces the fan culture here, who doesn't create a toxic atmosphere where his players think the fans are against them.

Osborne said this after audio-gate, and it really stuck with me: the fans are the program's biggest asset.

Running a clean program goes without saying. Being good for the student-athletes goes without saying. Bo's got both of those down, most probably. Embracing the fanbase and keeping them excited, instead of being at odds, Bo hasn't done that. We could bring in someone who wins less than Bo and I'd be happy if he 'got it' in that area.

Ideally we get a winner, too, though, but that's just the icing. And in that area I'm willing to be pretty patient.

He needs to love Nebraska more than his wife (preferably born and raised in Nebraska, perhaps conceived in either the capital building or near chimney rock), be a tough coach who inspires Heisman-worthy performances with a mere glare, and simultaneously a softhearted Christian man who cries during the national anthem. He must never blame himself as a cop-out after losses but must somehow also take full responsibility for every loss. Actually, that last sentence is irrelevant because he must never lose games without proving himself un-worthy to be the coach at Nebraska.

He must be passionate and excited all the time, but never say anything that would offend anyone. He must make every single high school football player want to play at Nebraska, even if they're the son of the dean of the University of Alabama. He must work his players into top performing shape while giving them puppies and ice cream to boost their morale.

Also he should be attractive and a Republican and have a name that is easy to pronounce and can be made into an inspiring slogan.

• Fire 2

He needs to love Nebraska more than his wife (preferably born and raised in Nebraska, perhaps conceived in either the capital building or near chimney rock), be a tough coach who inspires Heisman-worthy performances with a mere glare, and simultaneously a softhearted Christian man who cries during the national anthem. He must never blame himself as a cop-out after losses but must somehow also take full responsibility for every loss. Actually, that last sentence is irrelevant because he must never lose games without proving himself un-worthy to be the coach at Nebraska.

He must be passionate and excited all the time, but never say anything that would offend anyone. He must make every single high school football player want to play at Nebraska, even if they're the son of the dean of the University of Alabama. He must work his players into top performing shape while giving them puppies and ice cream to boost their morale.

Also he should be attractive and a Republican and have a name that is easy to pronounce and can be made into an inspiring slogan.

Nailed it.