Taylor's press conference

Fuzzy

Martinez is just weird. His attitudes, his demeanor, his interaction with the team and the press, he's just plain weird.

Now Barkenflecht has killed our season by typing "Run the Ball" a dozen times in his synopsis of the Big 10 Team Standings, so Beck and Pelini are honor bound live and die with a passing game to show the media who runs the team.

Our only hope is that Martinez has a relapse and Kellogg gets to do that throwing.

As for me, I'll check back in next year, this level of effort we are seeing from the Cornhuskers isn't worth three hours of my life during hunting season. Worse yet is the additional three hours I spend talking about how it isn't worth it.

We need to pass AND run....one sets up the other, but we never seem to do it effectively.

Martinez was just sticking up for his team and giving half-hearted answers to fill the time.

4. When asked why they weren't as successful throwing the ball against Minnesota compared to last year, he wouldn't answer the question. When asked if there was anything they did different, he wanted to skip the question.

5. "We just couldn't come together as a team"

I found his unwillingness to answer the questions about the passing game to be the most troubling. He clearly didn't want to throw his teammates under the bus, but there were some pretty key plays that our WRs frequently make that they didn't make Saturday.

Regardless, it wasn't the passing game that let us down Saturday, it was the fact that we went away from the running game. Ameer was gashing that team nearly every carry, but he didn't even get 20 carries. That's crazy. You tell Taylor to run X play, and there's no checking out of it, unless it's to another run. No checking into a passing call, no matter how it looks, unless Beck gives the OK. If he still checks out of it, bench him. We lost that game, in part, because we did not continue to exploit what was working. That's Tim Beck's calling card, and it has to stop.

Regarding #5 - it's game seven of the season. They worked on team-building exercises all summer. They brought in some military guys to teach them teamwork, they made the various units sit together during team functions. If these guys don't have team unity at this point they're simply being selfish.

You are probably right Knap. I took it as if he did not want to go there about his injuries. Knowing that the question would lead to more questions about his foot, his shoulder, and how it affects his accuracy, throwing mechanics, velocity, blah blah. I think he just did not want to take the media bait. Or possibly he thought "dude, I played hurt and did my best, give me a break". Sucks he didn't answer though.

4. When asked why they weren't as successful throwing the ball against Minnesota compared to last year, he wouldn't answer the question. When asked if there was anything they did different, he wanted to skip the question.

I found his unwillingness to answer the questions about the passing game to be the most troubling. He clearly didn't want to throw his teammates under the bus, but there were some pretty key plays that our WRs frequently make that they didn't make Saturday.

Regardless, it wasn't the passing game that let us down Saturday, it was the fact that we went away from the running game. Ameer was gashing that team nearly every carry, but he didn't even get 20 carries. That's crazy. You tell Taylor to run X play, and there's no checking out of it, unless it's to another run. No checking into a passing call, no matter how it looks, unless Beck gives the OK. If he still checks out of it, bench him. We lost that game, in part, because we did not continue to exploit what was working. That's Tim Beck's calling card, and it has to stop.

Regarding #5 - it's game seven of the season. They worked on team-building exercises all summer. They brought in some military guys to teach them teamwork, they made the various units sit together during team functions. If these guys don't have team unity at this point they're simply being selfish.

Didn't Abdullah get pretty banged up during the game? I haven't seen the game yet, but I remember Matty saying something about how bad Abdullah got dinged and would be surprised to see him return. He obviously did return, but this might be why he wasn't given the rock more?

Who thought when Bo was hired we'd have to get into shootouts especially with the likes of Minnesota to win games? I really never saw that coming. I just don't get the defense's inability to stop the run.

I did see that and they worked on his ankle. I was very surprised to see him out there and I don't think the question was even asked what happened or how he was feeling.

Didn't Abdullah get pretty banged up during the game? I haven't seen the game yet, but I remember Matty saying something about how bad Abdullah got dinged and would be surprised to see him return. He obviously did return, but this might be why he wasn't given the rock more?

Who thought when Bo was hired we'd have to get into shootouts especially with the likes of Minnesota to win games? I really never saw that coming. I just don't get the defense's inability to stop the run.

If you haven't yet, brace yourself. Minnesota has greatly improved their uniforms.

Yeah, I don't remember when this happened, though or how long it was. I wonder if that explains it.

The drive I am most critical of by far is when Minnesota went up by 7 and we threw - from quite deep in our territory, if memory serves - three times in a row and punted. When I saw that I muttered, "Here we go, panicking again." If Abdullah was out, that might change things, but don't we have a good #2, anyway?

After we got down two scores, the offense put together a drive that should have been the blueprint for what they did all day, which was methodically grind their way downfield with a lot of runs, and punched it in. I wish we saw that more.

Now, for his part, Beck apparently talked about how Minnesota was sitting cover-1 a lot of the game and that's why we kept trying to throw. It would seem that we were pretty successful at running Abdullah as a changeup, but 3 yards per attempt after the first drive out of the quarterback, against stacked boxes? That kind of performance makes it tough to do anything.

In our offense, when they stack 8 or 9 in the box, you HAVE to be able to punish them for it through the air, or do something close enough to get them out of that.

Martinez is just weird. His attitudes, his demeanor, his interaction with the team and the press, he's just plain weird.

Now Barkenflecht has killed our season by typing "Run the Ball" a dozen times in his synopsis of the Big 10 Team Standings, so Beck and Pelini are honor bound live and die with a passing game to show the media who runs the team.

Our only hope is that Martinez has a relapse and Kellogg gets to do that throwing.

As for me, I'll check back in next year, this level of effort we are seeing from the Cornhuskers isn't worth three hours of my life during hunting season. Worse yet is the additional three hours I spend talking about how it isn't worth it.

Grumble grumble...bad fan...grumble grumble...i'm kinda with you. The game will be playing in the background but it won't break my heart to have to go to work at halftime. I love the bolded part...sad that a lot of us actually believe this will happen. I had such high hopes for Bo.