Does this bother you?

Vince R.

I don't think Bo has forgotten how to coach defense I think he may be stuck in old ways due to loyalty or pride.

I was a quarterback coach for a football team. The head coach and offensive coordinator was in love with spread offense and had success with it. They would spread 4 or 5 wide on every play and let it sling. Worked well.

I coached with them one year and while the QB was smart it was obvious he didn't have the arm to make the throws required and didn't have the recievers or line to make it work. It was a young team and the 1st year we got our butts kicked pretty bad (45-7, 52-6) mostly every week. I told them it would be better to switch offenses and move to a more read-option offense and run quick running plays as we had some fast backs that wouldn't require the line to black as long as with the other offense.

The coach refused to change and we finsihed the season 1-9. The next year we started with the same O and again the coach blamed the players saying they were young. We went 0-7 to start the year. With the season out of hand the O-coordinator quit for "medical reasons" and thus promoted me to OC. I, along with the Defensive Coordinator, talked to the head coach and convinced him to let us change.

We finished the year 2-8 and our offense went from scoring under 7 points a game to scoring 27, 34 and 48 points in the last 3 games.

The head coach was a great coach. He knew offense and how to coach almost any system. However his pride made him refuse to change. That spread was his pride and joy. It was HIS system and in the correct environment was a very good system. However once we switched he kept the option/quick hit offense. I left that school after that season and now, 3 years later he runs the ground attack with much success and won a title last year.

I see Pelini a lot like this guy. He is a very good coach but due to pride,maybe scared to change, he is refusing to adjust the scheme to something he knows works. The big question is if Pelini is willing to change and get out of his comfort zone.

I have it on good authority that Pelini is a defensive genius and guru and that anyone who doubts that simply doesn't know anything about football. I'm also assured that the dozen or so blowout losses, upset losses to unranked teams and records for defensive futility that have been set under Pelini are all aberrations and prove nothing.

• Fire 1

its got to be coaching and conditioning....what are these coaches missing? what are they not teaching? what are they not doing?

why can't Pelini make changes? the whole program needs a new set of eyes and someone from the outside to come in and evaluate what is being taught...I don't think it has a damn thing to do with "we are Nebraska".....

I don't think Bo has forgotten how to coach defense I think he may be stuck in old ways due to loyalty or pride.

I was a quarterback coach for a football team. The head coach and offensive coordinator was in love with spread offense and had success with it. They would spread 4 or 5 wide on every play and let it sling. Worked well.

I coached with them one year and while the QB was smart it was obvious he didn't have the arm to make the throws required and didn't have the recievers or line to make it work. It was a young team and the 1st year we got our butts kicked pretty bad (45-7, 52-6) mostly every week. I told them it would be better to switch offenses and move to a more read-option offense and run quick running plays as we had some fast backs that wouldn't require the line to black as long as with the other offense.

The coach refused to change and we finsihed the season 1-9. The next year we started with the same O and again the coach blamed the players saying they were young. We went 0-7 to start the year. With the season out of hand the O-coordinator quit for "medical reasons" and thus promoted me to OC. I, along with the Defensive Coordinator, talked to the head coach and convinced him to let us change.

We finished the year 2-8 and our offense went from scoring under 7 points a game to scoring 27, 34 and 48 points in the last 3 games.

The head coach was a great coach. He knew offense and how to coach almost any system. However his pride made him refuse to change. That spread was his pride and joy. It was HIS system and in the correct environment was a very good system. However once we switched he kept the option/quick hit offense. I left that school after that season and now, 3 years later he runs the ground attack with much success and won a title last year.

I see Pelini a lot like this guy. He is a very good coach but due to pride,maybe scared to change, he is refusing to adjust the scheme to something he knows works. The big question is if Pelini is willing to change and get out of his comfort zone.

I can see this. Bo has shown he's a smart guy. Thing is that pride, stubbornness, and time-invested have left us in this dysfunctional relationship with a D that used to work and still works in theory but isn't working. Sucks that we didn't close on a DC after the '11 season. Probably should've looked farther than just Zook and Stoops. If Bo survives this season I think we do probably hire a DC.

Opponents learned that they can run at will on Bo's defense in 2010 when Texas came to town. We had a very good defense that year, but in a pass-happy Big 12, we weren't challenged in the run game often. Texas ran it down our throats all game long.

Bo NEEDS to change how his team plays the run. Bend but don't break does not work. It's more demoralizing for a defense when they continually give up 4 to 6 yards every carry than if a defense stuffs the run consistently and gets beat over the top on occasion. It's so frustrating to keep watching that crap game after game, and even more frustrating to see and hear Bo and his staff pass it off as no big deal and continually do nothing to solve it.

I agree with what Jay Foreman wrote today. He doesn't think the problem is coaching, nor do I. http://nebraska.247sports.com/Article/Jay-Foreman-breaks-down-Nebraskas-loss-to-Minnesota-157368

Agree with all that was said regarding the lackluster effort by the defense. However, it still comes back to Pelini. A) He recruited these players. B) It is his job, for which he is compensated generously, to get these players in the proper frame of mind to be successful. No, he nor his staff can do it for them, but if they have players that don't have the desire and passion to be successful it comes back to recruiting.

In my mind, it ALL falls on Pelini's shoulders. Don't like the DC? Who hired him. Don't like the play/attitude of a player? Who recruited him? It's really that simple in my mind. Franky, don't think Pelini has the necessary tools to be a successful head coach at a D1 school. DC? Absolutely!

To take this one step further, I wouldn't want to have Shawn Eichorst's job right now. I imagine his inbox is filled with polite, or not so polite "suggestions" regarding the current state of Nebraska football.

• Fire 1
I agree with what Jay Foreman wrote today. He doesn't think the problem is coaching, nor do I. http://nebraska.247s...innesota-157368

Agree with all that was said regarding the lackluster effort by the defense. However, it still comes back to Pelini. A) He recruited these players. B) It is his job, for which he is compensated generously, to get these players in the proper frame of mind to be successful. No, he nor his staff can do it for them, but if they have players that don't have the desire and passion to be successful it comes back to recruiting.

In my mind, it ALL falls on Pelini's shoulders. Don't like the DC? Who hired him. Don't like the play/attitude of a player? Who recruited him? It's really that simple in my mind. Franky, don't think Pelini has the necessary tools to be a successful head coach at a D1 school. DC? Absolutely!

To take this one step further, I wouldn't want to have Shawn Eichorst's job right now. I imagine his inbox is filled with polite, or not so polite "suggestions" regarding the current state of Nebraska football.

Of course it comes back to Pelini. The move to the B10 has exposed a real weakness at LB. I'd be surprised if Ross Els gets an hour of sleep at night. The staff is desperately looking to solve the LB situation. In the Minnesota game, the small group I watched the game with commented several times how we had a LB in position to make a TFL and didn't get it done. Regarding Pelini's salary, it's in line with market value for DI head coaches now. There is more than one poster wanting to open up the checkbook even more......and that's fine with me. If Pelini is replaced, I expect better results immediately. Not in year 2. Immediately 10 or more wins and the B10 title. If not, he's gone after his first year.

I agree with what Jay Foreman wrote today. He doesn't think the problem is coaching, nor do I. http://nebraska.247s...innesota-157368

Of course it comes back to Pelini. The move to the B10 has exposed a real weakness at LB. I'd be surprised if Ross Els gets an hour of sleep at night. The staff is desperately looking to solve the LB situation. In the Minnesota game, the small group I watched the game with commented several times how we had a LB in position to make a TFL and didn't get it done. Regarding Pelini's salary, it's in line with market value for DI head coaches now. There is more than one poster wanting to open up the checkbook even more......and that's fine with me. If Pelini is replaced, I expect better results immediately. Not in year 2. Immediately 10 or more wins and the B10 title. If not, he's gone after his first year.

That's perfectly reasonable.