Does this bother you?

Vince R.

"Contrary to what you guys think, I haven't forgotten how to coach defense and how to stop the run."

- Bo Pelini, 9/29/12

:facepalm: I remember that. I was happy for him and the Huskers. Thought it was firing shots when he just didn't need to go there.

Yep, I've said this numerous times. He is his own worst enemy at times. He is terrible at PR and makes his own life more difficult because of it.

Just re-watched it again. The concept to attack it - put a body on a body and by the time the safety gets to you, you already have a six yard gain. If he misses then you really have a chance for a big play. I think to counter the runs between the tackles they were smart to run the speed sweeps to the outside to spread the field. It was a good game plan by the Gophers. The Minnesota Gophers. Good job.

Keep in mind that this TV show was a PREVIEW of the Minnesota game. Meaning they hadn't even played Nebraska yet, and Coach seemed unconcerned that he was telling the Huskers exactly what he planned to do to them, as if the Nebraska defense was set in stone.

Yeah I noticed that. With the guy who was stepping in for Coach Kill. Seemed pretty easy.

Just re-watched it again. The concept to attack it - put a body on a body and by the time the safety gets to you, you already have a six yard gain. If he misses then you really have a chance for a big play. I think to counter the runs between the tackles they were smart to run the speed sweeps to the outside to spread the field. It was a good game plan by the Gophers. The Minnesota Gophers. Good job.

Keep in mind that this TV show was a PREVIEW of the Minnesota game. Meaning they hadn't even played Nebraska yet, and Coach seemed unconcerned that he was telling the Huskers exactly what he planned to do to them, as if the Nebraska defense was set in stone.

Yeah I noticed that. With the guy who was stepping in for Coach Kill. Seemed pretty easy.

Yes, they planned to run if we had 6 in the box, or try to open up the passing game if we put 7 in the box. Pelini likes to win one-on-one matchups up front. That's why we need great DTs and LBs who can tackle. We've had all the above previously. We got beat in our matchups. Not exactly a news flash.

Yes, they planned to run if we had 6 in the box, or try to open up the passing game if we put 7 in the box. Pelini likes to win one-on-one matchups up front. That's why we need great DTs and LBs who can tackle. We've had all the above previously. We got beat in our matchups. Not exactly a news flash.

Hmmm. That leaves 2 DTs and 2 LBs. What do you do if you don't have great ones? It was Minnesota Gophers.

The sad part is the video is before the game and then they went out and did it fairly easily. They said with 6 in the box it would be 6-7 yards before the safety was in on the play. I'm thinking 8-10 yards but the point is you don't win conceding the run game like that. I've been screaming for us to crowd the line of scrimmage more and play pressure defense.

McBride once said we determined it was best to pressure and play mostly man-to-man pass coverage. While that resulted in a few big plays per game, the other team had few sustained drives and great difficulty running the ball. As we know, the team that runs the ball better usually wins. That is especially true as we move into bad weather November stretch run games. In fact, that is exactly the reason Osborne went to the option offense to begin with. Nothing has really changed, to be honest, for us to not go back to being an option heavy team (except perhaps coache's ability to implement).

This is not rocket science here!

Thinks every opponent's coach from here on out...

1) Watches the NU/Wiscy CCG

2) Implements the Wiscy gameplan, regardless of whether my team typically does it or not.

3) Watches it work. If it doesn't for whatever reason...

4) Checks #2 again.

I agree with what Jay Foreman wrote today. He doesn't think the problem is coaching, nor do I. http://nebraska.247s...innesota-157368

Agree with all that was said regarding the lackluster effort by the defense. However, it still comes back to Pelini. A) He recruited these players. B) It is his job, for which he is compensated generously, to get these players in the proper frame of mind to be successful. No, he nor his staff can do it for them, but if they have players that don't have the desire and passion to be successful it comes back to recruiting.

In my mind, it ALL falls on Pelini's shoulders. Don't like the DC? Who hired him. Don't like the play/attitude of a player? Who recruited him? It's really that simple in my mind. Franky, don't think Pelini has the necessary tools to be a successful head coach at a D1 school. DC? Absolutely!

To take this one step further, I wouldn't want to have Shawn Eichorst's job right now. I imagine his inbox is filled with polite, or not so polite "suggestions" regarding the current state of Nebraska football.

Of course it comes back to Pelini. The move to the B10 has exposed a real weakness at LB. I'd be surprised if Ross Els gets an hour of sleep at night. The staff is desperately looking to solve the LB situation. In the Minnesota game, the small group I watched the game with commented several times how we had a LB in position to make a TFL and didn't get it done. Regarding Pelini's salary, it's in line with market value for DI head coaches now. There is more than one poster wanting to open up the checkbook even more......and that's fine with me. If Pelini is replaced, I expect better results immediately. Not in year 2. Immediately 10 or more wins and the B10 title. If not, he's gone after his first year.

Your expectations for immediate results are ridiculous and completely unrealistic.

Hmmm. That leaves 2 DTs and 2 LBs. What do you do if you don't have great ones? It was Minnesota Gophers.

Yes, I'm aware we lost to Minnesota last Saturday. Pelini's focus has been heavily on recruiting this past two seasons......been discussed a lot on this board. We've had too many DTs not pan out the past few years. This current crew of young DTs will hopefully change that. We also need to find the answer at LB. Pelini has a nice history of LBs being tackling machines......we need the next one to step forward.

Ok. So say you are one of these people who don't think coaching is the problem. Okay, so let's blame the players then, if you say so. I don't like to do it, but for arguments sake since you refuse to blame coaches, it has to be the players. Well, in that scenario, I have the same question for all of you. At what point do we blame players failures on the coaches? At what point do you begin to believe there are systematic flaws? At what point do you feel there may be a cultural problem? Is there a time where you feel like maybe these players are not being put into a position to succeed? There multiple, multiple baffling things that have happened on the field with this team that the players don't even have control of. Baffling coaching decisions, strange play calling. A defensive scheme that has been exposed by the better opponents we've faced for quite some time now and apparently now the lesser opponents feel very confident against it. So again, when or what will make you believe maybe it is a coaching problem. Personally, I've seen enough to KNOW its a coaching problem. Open your eyes and ears and it's pretty evident.

• Fire 3

Ok. So say you are one of these people who don't think coaching is the problem. Okay, so let's blame the players then, if you say so. I don't like to do it, but for arguments sake since you refuse to blame coaches, it has to be the players. Well, in that scenario, I have the same question for all of you. At what point do we blame players failures on the coaches? At what point do you begin to believe there are systematic flaws? At what point do you feel there may be a cultural problem? Is there a time where you feel like maybe these players are not being put into a position to succeed? There multiple, multiple baffling things that have happened on the field with this team that the players don't even have control of. Baffling coaching decisions, strange play calling. A defensive scheme that has been exposed by the better opponents we've faced for quite some time now and apparently now the lesser opponents feel very confident against it. So again, when or what will make you believe maybe it is a coaching problem. Personally, I've seen enough to KNOW its a coaching problem. Open your eyes and ears and it's pretty evident.

+1

I agree with what Jay Foreman wrote today. He doesn't think the problem is coaching, nor do I. http://nebraska.247s...innesota-157368

Agree with all that was said regarding the lackluster effort by the defense. However, it still comes back to Pelini. A) He recruited these players. B) It is his job, for which he is compensated generously, to get these players in the proper frame of mind to be successful. No, he nor his staff can do it for them, but if they have players that don't have the desire and passion to be successful it comes back to recruiting.

In my mind, it ALL falls on Pelini's shoulders. Don't like the DC? Who hired him. Don't like the play/attitude of a player? Who recruited him? It's really that simple in my mind. Franky, don't think Pelini has the necessary tools to be a successful head coach at a D1 school. DC? Absolutely!

To take this one step further, I wouldn't want to have Shawn Eichorst's job right now. I imagine his inbox is filled with polite, or not so polite "suggestions" regarding the current state of Nebraska football.

Of course it comes back to Pelini. The move to the B10 has exposed a real weakness at LB. I'd be surprised if Ross Els gets an hour of sleep at night. The staff is desperately looking to solve the LB situation. In the Minnesota game, the small group I watched the game with commented several times how we had a LB in position to make a TFL and didn't get it done. Regarding Pelini's salary, it's in line with market value for DI head coaches now. There is more than one poster wanting to open up the checkbook even more......and that's fine with me. If Pelini is replaced, I expect better results immediately. Not in year 2. Immediately 10 or more wins and the B10 title. If not, he's gone after his first year.

Your expectations for immediate results are ridiculous and completely unrealistic.

Why? The new coach should be better than the previous one, correct? That's why you get rid of a coach in the first place. And like its been said, we have more than enough talent on this team to win the B1G.

doubletake.gif

There is another thread started a bit ago about assigning blame. Pelini is completely responsible for the program, the players and our performance. My interest is having Pelini find the right pieces to get us on track. I have opened my eyes and watched film. I've listened to different breakdowns of it online. You have every right to know it's a coaching problem. I'm more interested in seeing if we can find our answer at LB and at safety opposite Coop.......and I'm more interested to see if Armstrong can provide that intangible spark to help our offense move the chains.