Of Encouragement and Expectations - Life on the Big Stage

knapplc

From the get-go, understand that I love that Kenny Bell plays for Nebraska, and I wouldn't trade him for two Jared Abrederisseseses. I love that he wears the blue Scout Team jersey under his pads every game. I love a lot of the things I know about KB - but this, this one thing... not so much. I'm gonna use Kenny as the example because he's the biggest name to come out of this latest mess, but he's not the focus, nor is he the only player to bring about the words below.

Kenny isn't wrong in disliking those "fans" who spewed nonsense at the players after that Minny loss. We all, no matter our disappointment, fans and players and coaches and boosters and administrators alike, hurt on some level after that loss. But there's a constructive way to express that hurt, and those people aren't constructive in any way.

They also happen to be the minority, and if you don't believe that you'd better look at all the chapters of "[insert state name here]'s For Nebraska" across the country. There are dozens, if not hundreds of alumni chapters, and they are the people who fill the stadiums across the country wherever Nebraska travels. Those people aren't a minority, they're a huge majority, and they, like those of us lucky enough to live within spitting distance of Memorial Stadium, represent a vast support network for this school and these players. And while they may not call in or tweet support for the players after a game like last weekend's, they sure aren't represented by those morons we've all heard about, that Kenny (and other players) responded to.

And that brings me to the crux of my thoughts...

Here's what I don't understand from Kenny's responses to the "fans" who spewed that nonsense - did he not understand that Nebraska is The Big Stage? When he signed up to play here, did he not realize that he was volunteering for a career under the microscope? And that with that vast of a viewing audience, inevitably there's bound to be the occasional asshat? Or that, asshattery aside, even the casual fan is not going to be pleased with the performance Nebraska put on against Minnesota? Because we're not, and we shouldn't be, and it's entirely appropriate for that disappointment.

The best analogy I can think of is Lollapalooza. You've got umpteen side stages of various importance, but you've got the main stage, the big area, the focus of the event. The biggest rock stars play that stage. If they didn't want to, there's plenty of other stages they can play on, but they determined to take that gig, they put themselves out there.

Understandably, that main stage has the brightest lights, and the loudest speakers. You go out there, the people standing there are expecting the best show. They could just as easily be watching some pissant band trying to cut their teeth on the side stages, but they're here because you're supposed to be good enough to entertain them. That's the whole point of that stage - the headliners play there.

Nebraska is legitimately one of those foundational programs, and should remain one of them, and that's neither narcissistic nor unrealistic. It's necessary.

It's big-time football with big-time expectations. These articles that are written lately saying that we expect too much and we should ramp that down are idiocy. I've read the posts here referring to them but I couldn't be bothered to give them the gift of my eyeballs because they're wrong. Not only is Nebraska a Big Time football school, it should be, and it needs to be, or this sport dies. We need Notre Dame to be Big Time, and Michigan and Miami and Texas and USC and all the other blue-bloods because when they all go, the sport goes. Every edifice needs a foundation, and these schools are that foundation.

Kenny and his teammates knew that, or should have known that, when they came to Nebraska. While there's some slack to cut a 17- to 18-year-old kid making a life decision in High School, there's still room for expectations that the kind of kid that will put themselves on that stage will also prepare and play like they belong there. It is not inappropriate to demand a level of excellence in keeping with the expectations they accepted, they chose, and they said they wanted when they signed their LOI. We, the fans, aren't putting those expectations on them, they are, they did, and nobody forced them to. They could have as easily chosen a side stage, with lights less bright, but they didn't.

Now that they're here, by their choice, it's not unreasonable for the media and the fans to expect that they perform to the levels that they said they would perform at. If they cannot or will not, it is not the fault of nor the unreasonable expectations of the fans that is to blame.

I could go on and on. There's a huge disconnect between the fans and these players right now, and I don't think it's just at Nebraska. Maybe it's a cultural thing, some societal impetus for which these kids aren't to blame, but are caught up in all the same. Who's to say? Bottom line is, any player that's going to put on that uniform and expect those fans to cheer for them, whether things are going well or not, had damned well better be giving everything they've got for 60 minutes each Saturday.

I'm not going to bother ending with some drivel about "forgiving" Kenny Bell or any other player who publicly talked about the fans, because there's nothing to forgive. They didn't do anything wrong, and they're welcome to their opinion. But they need to remember the lights on this stage are lights of their choosing, and if they get too hot, it is not the fans who are to blame.

• Fire 8

I like some of your points, but with all due respect I disagree with some of them. Kenny Bell and a lot of other kids don't see Nebraska the way we see it. They're not hardcore fans from birth like us, they're recruited. Their best memories of Nebraska won't be of the fans; it will be of time spent with other players and coaches, their best friends and mentors on and off the field.

I don't have a problem if you don't a player or think he shouldn't play, but I have a problem when they are attacked on social networks for their performance. They put all the time and the effort into these games. They are the ones running wind sprints in November while we're sitting inside chatting on HB. They have a lot more at stake in these games than any of us, so I'd say it's fair to say that they take a loss harder than us. A loss for us is the reflection of something we associate ourselves with while a loss for them is a direct reflection upon themselves. I'm sure they after a loss the last thing they want is to go on the internet and be blasted by 'fans' with their opinions. The first couple times I'm sure they don't really care, but after a while I'd bet it wears down on them.

I'd also like to point out the fact that it's not just the hatred towards him, but to others he associates with. If some stranger calls your girlfriend something mean, it angers you. I'd say the same thing applies to his teammates and coaches. It's no secret the amount of hatred T-Mart has gotten over the years. These guys want to look out for their own. It's more than a game to them. Does anybody remember T.O. crying and saying 'That's my quarterback.' when Romo(I don't have the best memory of who/what happened) was going under fire of if he was good enough. Any attack on other players or coaches feels like an attack on them.

My last point is that for some of them this is not the big stage. For players that always had dreams of one day being Huskers or players who will play their last seconds of football in scarlet and cream, maybe so, but not all of them. For some of them this is an opportunity. An opportunity to try and show off their skills before the NFL comes calling. Like it or not it's the truth. They have their whole lives ahead of them and I don't want their memory of some bad fans to ruin the greater sum that was their experience at Nebraska. I don't want this to continue or taint the image that is Nebraska.

I would like to say this was not a rant. I was not responding to anything that angered me and am simply stating my own opinions on the matter.

If your main goal in life is to rip on 18-22 yr old football players than you really need to get a life. If you can't function for the rest of the weekend because some kid didn't make a catch or a tackle than I really feel sorry for you cause at some point in your life (it took me years) you'll figure there is more to life than football games and when that day comes you'll fell pretty small.

• Fire 1

I also skimmed a few of the "entitlement" pieces and the only thing I got for the effort was a roll of the eyes. Nebraska is a historically blue-chip program and the fans collectively pay top dollar to keep the facilities, stadium, and coaching staff at the top levels. The support the players receive is endless. We pack road stadiums with red and bowl games are well attended. In short, Nebraska fans put in to the program, and right now the coaching staff is not producing at the level their salary and support system demand. Demand.

BoPelini can get payed 3+ mil to get blown out and get outworked/coached by bottom feeders someplace else. At Nebraska, the standards are simply higher. No different than Texas or USC. I don't think the fan's expectations are that unrealistic. A few people mentioned with the schedule there might be a chance of a title run this season or next. Nobody around here is saying Bo's job hinges on winning three titles in four years. The trouble is even with all this talent--which I still think is a real thing--Bo is not even achieving mediocrity.

That's a problem, and it's not a product of entitlement. The money and the players (I think) are there. Where are the results? Anyone?

• Fire 5

Knapp I agree with you and honestly I don't know why this is such a recurring issue with this team and with this staff. I feel like its a deeper issue than we know with probably a lot more players feeling some sort of resentment for fans than we know.

Nebraska is a big time program. Nebraska has a fan base and leaders within this program that I don't believe will ever allow it to be anything less. Short stints of mediocrity aside, I always believe we will be back. I believe we have one of the most loyal knowledgable fan bases in the country. We are sometimes victims of expectations but I'd rather have those expectations than none at all. There just seems to be an odd gap between the program right now and the fans.

Maybe I read into things a bit too far but I ave to think other people recognize this as well. This us against the world mentality. This "f#*k the fans" incident. It's a problem. Do we believe this is an isolated incident? Here's why I ask. Now clearly anyone that took issue with the audio tape wasn't crying over the repeated use of the naughty "F" word. Coaches go on rants, expletive filled rants in highly emotional moments and with Bo Pelini, probably more than most. Now the aspect of it all that many talked about was the fact that he painted the entire fan base with such a broad brush. Labeling an entire army of fans based on a very small minority that actually attended the game then left. There are hundreds of thousands more out there that didn't attend the game. That watched it on television or listened on the radio that celebrated that win. There are also hundreds of thousands of fans that don't have twitter, don't communicate with these players in any way, don't go to message boards and a lot of them probably couldn't even tell you what either of those things are. Okay, so we can brush that off as just a broad statement in a frustrating time. Right?

Here's MY problem. Was that a difficult time? Wasnt this after the Ohio St. Game? You know....one of the greatest if not the greatest comeback victory of all times? So this is your mood after THAT game? f#*k em, f#*k em all, they can kiss my ass in the way out the door because the day is coming. Wow? Where is the joy? The celebration of the fans that stayed. The f'ing HELL YES to your team that just pulled that amazing game off? I mean, if Bo was going on this rant before this interview, then what was his mood in the locker room? And we hear all this talk about the guys not having fun. You think? Look at the pressure they must feel out there. Not just the pressure to please their beloved coach, but the pressure to keep this so called "unappreciative" fan base off their backs. Or maybe it's been pounded over and over how unappreciative this fan base is that a lot of these kids don't care the way they should. I don't know, but one thing I can assure you. If this was Bos attitude after THAT game, imagine the brainwashing negativity that spews after some of these horrendous losses.

The point I'm trying to make is that maybe the fans are behind the eight ball from the outset in some of these situations. I don't know.....I've been drinking, maybe I'm missing your point.

• Fire 3

From the get-go, understand that I love that Kenny Bell plays for Nebraska, and I wouldn't trade him for two Jared Abrederisseseses. I love that he wears the blue Scout Team jersey under his pads every game. I love a lot of the things I know about KB - but this, this one thing... not so much. I'm gonna use Kenny as the example because he's the biggest name to come out of this latest mess, but he's not the focus, nor is he the only player to bring about the words below.

Kenny isn't wrong in disliking those "fans" who spewed nonsense at the players after that Minny loss. We all, no matter our disappointment, fans and players and coaches and boosters and administrators alike, hurt on some level after that loss. But there's a constructive way to express that hurt, and those people aren't constructive in any way.

They also happen to be the minority, and if you don't believe that you'd better look at all the chapters of "[insert state name here]'s For Nebraska" across the country. There are dozens, if not hundreds of alumni chapters, and they are the people who fill the stadiums across the country wherever Nebraska travels. Those people aren't a minority, they're a huge majority, and they, like those of us lucky enough to live within spitting distance of Memorial Stadium, represent a vast support network for this school and these players. And while they may not call in or tweet support for the players after a game like last weekend's, they sure aren't represented by those morons we've all heard about, that Kenny (and other players) responded to.

And that brings me to the crux of my thoughts...

Here's what I don't understand from Kenny's responses to the "fans" who spewed that nonsense - did he not understand that Nebraska is The Big Stage? When he signed up to play here, did he not realize that he was volunteering for a career under the microscope? And that with that vast of a viewing audience, inevitably there's bound to be the occasional asshat? Or that, asshattery aside, even the casual fan is not going to be pleased with the performance Nebraska put on against Minnesota? Because we're not, and we shouldn't be, and it's entirely appropriate for that disappointment.

The best analogy I can think of is Lollapalooza. You've got umpteen side stages of various importance, but you've got the main stage, the big area, the focus of the event. The biggest rock stars play that stage. If they didn't want to, there's plenty of other stages they can play on, but they determined to take that gig, they put themselves out there.

Understandably, that main stage has the brightest lights, and the loudest speakers. You go out there, the people standing there are expecting the best show. They could just as easily be watching some pissant band trying to cut their teeth on the side stages, but they're here because you're supposed to be good enough to entertain them. That's the whole point of that stage - the headliners play there.

Nebraska is legitimately one of those foundational programs, and should remain one of them, and that's neither narcissistic nor unrealistic. It's necessary.

It's big-time football with big-time expectations. These articles that are written lately saying that we expect too much and we should ramp that down are idiocy. I've read the posts here referring to them but I couldn't be bothered to give them the gift of my eyeballs because they're wrong. Not only is Nebraska a Big Time football school, it should be, and it needs to be, or this sport dies. We need Notre Dame to be Big Time, and Michigan and Miami and Texas and USC and all the other blue-bloods because when they all go, the sport goes. Every edifice needs a foundation, and these schools are that foundation.

Kenny and his teammates knew that, or should have known that, when they came to Nebraska. While there's some slack to cut a 17- to 18-year-old kid making a life decision in High School, there's still room for expectations that the kind of kid that will put themselves on that stage will also prepare and play like they belong there. It is not inappropriate to demand a level of excellence in keeping with the expectations they accepted, they chose, and they said they wanted when they signed their LOI. We, the fans, aren't putting those expectations on them, they are, they did, and nobody forced them to. They could have as easily chosen a side stage, with lights less bright, but they didn't.

Now that they're here, by their choice, it's not unreasonable for the media and the fans to expect that they perform to the levels that they said they would perform at. If they cannot or will not, it is not the fault of nor the unreasonable expectations of the fans that is to blame.

I could go on and on. There's a huge disconnect between the fans and these players right now, and I don't think it's just at Nebraska. Maybe it's a cultural thing, some societal impetus for which these kids aren't to blame, but are caught up in all the same. Who's to say? Bottom line is, any player that's going to put on that uniform and expect those fans to cheer for them, whether things are going well or not, had damned well better be giving everything they've got for 60 minutes each Saturday.

I'm not going to bother ending with some drivel about "forgiving" Kenny Bell or any other player who publicly talked about the fans, because there's nothing to forgive. They didn't do anything wrong, and they're welcome to their opinion. But they need to remember the lights on this stage are lights of their choosing, and if they get too hot, it is not the fans who are to blame.

Again, it's not that we voice our displeasure, it's how that displeasure is voiced.

• Fire 1

The money and the players (I think) are there. Where are the results? Anyone?

When it comes to a traveling fan base, Nebraska is second to none. In regard to the money, yes we are up there. But when it's said this isn't the 90's anymore, some of that has to do with revenue sharing.....why we changed leagues....all that stuff. We pay Pelini very well, but crap Iowa pays Ferentz very well. As far as the players, we are getting more talented, but recruiting was not great until the past couple of years. I mean what's the average age of our front 7? But hey, if we want to fire Pelini, then by all means do so.....and I guess we can see what other coaching candidates think of our situation.

Knapp I agree with you and honestly I don't know why this is such a recurring issue with this team and with this staff. I feel like its a deeper issue than we know with probably a lot more players feeling some sort of resentment for fans than we know.

Maybe I read into things a bit too far but I ave to think other people recognize this as well. This us against the world mentality. This "f#*k the fans" incident. It's a problem. Do we believe this is an isolated incident? Here's why I ask. Now clearly anyone that took issue with the audio tape wasn't crying over the repeated use of the naughty "F" word. Coaches go on rants, expletive filled rants in highly emotional moments and with Bo Pelini, probably more than most. Now the aspect of it all that many talked about was the fact that he painted the entire fan base with such a broad brush. Labeling an entire army of fans based on a very small minority that actually attended the game then left. There are hundreds of thousands more out there that didn't attend the game. That watched it on television or listened on the radio that celebrated that win. There are also hundreds of thousands of fans that don't have twitter, don't communicate with these players in any way, don't go to message boards and a lot of them probably couldn't even tell you what either of those things are. Okay, so we can brush that off as just a broad statement in a frustrating time. Right?

Here's MY problem. Was that a difficult time? Wasnt this after the Ohio St. Game? You know....one of the greatest if not the greatest comeback victory of all times? So this is your mood after THAT game? f#*k em, f#*k em all, they can kiss my ass in the way out the door because the day is coming. Wow? Where is the joy? The celebration of the fans that stayed. The f'ing HELL YES to your team that just pulled that amazing game off? I mean, if Bo was going on this rant before this interview, then what was his mood in the locker room? And we hear all this talk about the guys not having fun. You think? Look at the pressure they must feel out there. Not just the pressure to please their beloved coach, but the pressure to keep this so called "unappreciative" fan base off their backs. Or maybe it's been pounded over and over how unappreciative this fan base is that a lot of these kids don't care the way they should. I don't know, but one thing I can assure you. If this was Bos attitude after THAT game, imagine the brainwashing negativity that spews after some of these horrendous losses.

The point I'm trying to make is that maybe the fans are behind the eight ball from the outset in some of these situations. I don't know.....I've been drinking, maybe I'm missing your point.

Very astute +1. If this is because you've been drinking, have another because I believe you have tracked the source back to patient zero.

That was the thing that bothered me the most about tapegate. How can you be in that foul of a mood after that great of a comeback? Answer is you can't unless you have a rather severe personality disorder. I don't care if the stadium completely emptied out, you make that comeback against your alma mater, no friggin way you go on a rant like that. The us against the world mentality is taken to a very unhealthy extreme by the current regime. It is manifesting itself as low moral, negative motivation, and reduced effort.

• Fire 2

Very astute +1. If this is because you've been drinking, have another because I believe you have tracked the source back to patient zero.

That was the thing that bothered me the most about tapegate. How can you be in that foul of a mood after that great of a comeback? Answer is you can't unless you have a rather severe personality disorder. I don't care if the stadium completely emptied out, you make that comeback against your alma mater, no friggin way you go on a rant like that. The us against the world mentality is taken to a very unhealthy extreme by the current regime. It is manifesting itself as low moral, negative motivation, and reduced effort.

Surely, you don't think Bo just said that out of the blue? Like, that was the first thing he said? No, I'm sure he was prompted about it. Could he have said, "Who cares?" Yes. He could have. But he didn't, and he didn't say what he said because he has a "severe personality disorder."

Us against the world only works for certain groups of people. That the coaching staff can't see that it doesn't work for our players is unfortunate.

• Fire 1