Ever think Martinez is the problem

ldk, i have a really hard time judging "leadership" from my living room or stands. Obviously, i'm not as gifted as others.... The one major difference that is visible is that Martinez checks out of plays A LOT more than RKIII or TA. I'm not sure if thats by design or not, i assume it is the coaches' confidence in Martinez.

I rewatched the Minnesota game last night ( I know, it hurt) but if you are walking away from that game concernced about our QB play, regardless of who it is, i'm not sure there is much help for you....

• Fire 1

Just something about him. Not the throwing ability or the lack of running. Even when he was healthy and putting up big rushing numbers in his frosh and sophmore year. I cant really explain it, just dont see any leadership from him on the field when he should be the leader.
Nope. You're not out on the field either which is why you don't see it.

You don't have to be out on the field to see it

Martinez isn't the problem. He's a piece of the puzzle where we try to jam in the wrong place. In 2010, we were playing lights out for the most part until Marinez got hurt. Things went downhill from there. If Beck had called plays against Minnesota as if Armstrong or Kellogg were out there, we win that game. What I don't know is if Martinez is checking out of plays and getting us into bad situations. If this is the case, then Martinez is a problem and is trying to jam his capabilities into the wrong place. Other than possibly Michigan State, there really isn't anyone in the B1G we shouldn't be able to line up against and ram the ball down their throat. Running the hurry up while doing this seems ill advised. We have three very capable RB's. I just don't think we're utilizing what we do have effectively.

Just something about him. Not the throwing ability or the lack of running. Even when he was healthy and putting up big rushing numbers in his frosh and sophmore year. I cant really explain it, just dont see any leadership from him on the field when he should be the leader.

Nope. You're not out on the field either which is why you don't see it.

this is why i included the part of watching Jameis Winston. kid wants to show and talk about and exude leadership. it's natural for him.

you CAN just 'tell' when someone has that something special. i'm not saying at all everyone needs to be like everyone esle leadership style wise. but there is a certain embrace of the lime light, the press room, the locker room. Now, TM has left it all on the field and brought us back on just pure guts. He plays hurt and celebrates w his team (ie, he's not a "me-first" guy).

but, much like his playing style he's kinda herky-jerky, stuttery, jekyll-hyde. It seems he digs himself and his team into holes at times before that big rally.

I know he had nice leads against UCLA and OU and MINN in his career before collapse. But he has been a part in that collapse too. Instead of putting the kids to bed and going looking for dinner, it's a kind of "uh-oh, we have an early lead what is about to go wrong". and THAT is a leadership problem

• Fire 1

I don't think it's quite as easy to see leadership as you're making it out to be. Obviously, Frazier had that special leadership about him. However, TO gave the same scholarship to Franky London as he did Frazier. He gave the same scholarship to Mickey Joseph as he did Frazier. If it's that easy to spot, why did TO struggle so much finding it? The NFL is littered with QB busts.

Am I one of the only ones who is sick of hearing/reading about this. Can't wait until he graduates regardless of "if people think he is a cancer to the team or he is your favorite hero"! The kid has given us all he has to give just as Bo has. We have a lot of problems that have nothing to do with TM.

Time to move on to whatever the season brings us.

b8f23dca78edec93541a7ff479db8eaf_thumb.jpg

• Fire 3

I don't think he is a cancer, I think he is liked on the team etc. I just don't think he plays as well when he is hurt. I think it really shows in his play. Last year when he was relatively healthy he played really well most of the time. But, when he is hurt he doesn't look nearly as confident and I think it shows in the game.

I also think Beck called a terrible game against Minnesota.

I hate seeing NU go 3 and out, but I really can't stand when they go 3 and out with 3 incomplete passes. How many times did that happen against Minnesota 3x. The defense played bad, but the offense didn't help. Special team didn't help. Two of Minnesota's scores were on very short fields after bad punts.

All 3 phases failed on Saturday it was just a crappy game.

Am I one of the only ones who is sick of hearing/reading about this. Can't wait until he graduates regardless of "if people think he is a cancer to the team or he is your favorite hero"! The kid has given us all he has to give just as Bo has. We have a lot of problems that have nothing to do with TM.

Time to move on to whatever the season brings us.

b8f23dca78edec93541a7ff479db8eaf_thumb.jpg

+1

He's not a cancer or the face of the program. Taylor's problem is he's consistently inconsistent and a part of that is probably due to injury. Whatever your opinion of Taylor, though, I think most have realized he is not THAT quarterback, the one who's going to get the team and the program over the hump. He has some freaky running ability when things go exactly right. Other than that, his overall performance as a QB is a statistical interest and not much more.

• Fire 1

He's not a cancer or the face of the program. Taylor's problem is he's consistently inconsistent and a part of that is probably due to injury. Whatever your opinion of Taylor, though, I think most have realized he is not THAT quarterback, the one who's going to get the team and the program over the hump. He has some freaky running ability when things go exactly right. Other than that, his overall performance as a QB is a statistical interest and not much more.

This sums it up well. +1

Martinez is not part if the problem, nor part of the solution. We will not win a MNC or conference championship with him at the helm. You do not lead the FBS in fumbles 3 years in a row and lead your team to the promised land. That, IMO, is on the staff for not fixing this or getting an appropriate back up.

Martinez played has played injured or hurt for a good majority of his time here. I commend him for that as well as going out and getting coaching he sure wasn't getting at NU. I blame our losses more on the defense or lack there of and Beck's play calling more than I have ever blamed him. With him healthy, and our 2009 D, we are honestly looking at MNC #6. No doubt in my mind.

Kid has balled hard at NU and left it all on the field. Is he a leader? I am not sure. From what I have seen ie tv, press etc...... not in my style. Doesn't mean he isn't, I just don't see it. I saw flashes against UGA when he was in their defenses face and against Wisky. Unfortunately, I saw none of our OL defending Martinez or taking a penalty to lay a little wood. That, IMO, was telling. I could not imagine someone putting those hits on Crouch, TF, Frost etc without being earholed.

Lastly, the reoccurring theme on all these post Minnie threads has been along the lines of leadership, attitude etc.... Things we are lacking from the top down. Not just under Bo, but for quite some time. We seem to have lost the "in your face" style of the 90's. Guys do not seem to get upset when a mistake is made, play is busted, TD dropped etc....The side lines seem void as well. Again telling when TA and RKIII are talking about firing the team up. Telling when an appointed captain talks about not being ready/up for this game.

Martinez is an easy target, but he is not the "X" ring.............

• Fire 2