Ever think Martinez is the problem

Armstrong's last two games: 21-47, 216 yards, 1 TD, 6 INTS. You want that going into Michigan? I suppose it is just a coincidence that the teams Armstrong has started against are some of the worst in Division 1A and a Division IAA team? Purdue? HA! Illinois? Hasn't won a conference game in over 2 calendar years. NW? Lost what... 4 or 5 in a row now?

Look, I'm not trying to tear the kid down, I'm confident he'll get better. But he is not the best QB on the team right now. Let's not let a hail mary completion to win the game cloud the fact that this offense was brutally bad yesterday (outside of Ameer). The defense played well, against a one-dimensional MASH unit of an offense. We'll see how they do against an offense that has a pulse. In spite of yesterday's performance against MSU, Michigan does have a decent offense, and they are far better at home than on the road.

Are you suggesting we throw injured TMart out there or are you suggesting Kellogg should start?

And I've got to disagree with you on the Michigan offense. They suck and they have a guy just as prone to turning the ball over as any of our QBs. 81st in the country doesn't scream "decent offense" to me.

All I know, is the defense has been mostly sh#t for 14 1/2 of 16 quarters under Taylor. It's been in lights out shut down mode for about the same amount without. That's not coincidence. It's a full blown pattern. And if you say the qb shouldnt affect the desire and confidence of a defense, then you probably havent played the sport. Players in all phases of the game sense leadership and urgency from their leader. I just dont think Taylor has those attributes, and that's not some fly by night observation in the wake of his sudden absence. It's been a trend that's been discussed for all of his 4 years here. Tommy and Ron both show them qualities. Tommy threw three intereceptions yesterday, one that was supposed to cost us the game, but yet there he was, involved on the sidelines, urging the crowd on as the defense made one last stand. There he was involved as Ron lead us into position.

So your argument is the defense plays slightly better against weaker competition, so obviously Martinez is to blame when the defense doesn't step up against the better teams we play...

Am I being punked? Where are you Ashton?

Armstrong's last two games: 21-47, 216 yards, 1 TD, 6 INTS. You want that going into Michigan? I suppose it is just a coincidence that the teams Armstrong has started against are some of the worst in Division 1A and a Division IAA team? Purdue? HA! Illinois? Hasn't won a conference game in over 2 calendar years. NW? Lost what... 4 or 5 in a row now?

Look, I'm not trying to tear the kid down, I'm confident he'll get better. But he is not the best QB on the team right now. Let's not let a hail mary completion to win the game cloud the fact that this offense was brutally bad yesterday (outside of Ameer). The defense played well, against a one-dimensional MASH unit of an offense. We'll see how they do against an offense that has a pulse. In spite of yesterday's performance against MSU, Michigan does have a decent offense, and they are far better at home than on the road.

Are you suggesting we throw injured TMart out there or are you suggesting Kellogg should start?

And I've got to disagree with you on the Michigan offense. They suck and they have a guy just as prone to turning the ball over as any of our QBs. 81st in the country doesn't scream "decent offense" to me.

What I'm suggesting is that it's silly to say that the Martinez was to blame for the poor defensive performances this season. Mind numbinly so. Now if one of Armstrong's wins had come against a team with a win in the Big 10.... maybe I'd consider the argument. But given that the conference record of his three Big 10 foes is a combined 0-13, I'd like to stand by my point that he hasn't played anyone as of yet, and the defensive improvement seen in those games is likely largely due to the quality of opponent.

As far as who should start, it depends on how injured he is and if we can convince Beck to pound the ball with Abdullah and Cross. Michigan offense has big play potential. And our defense tends to allow big plays. If I'm Vegas, I'd have Michigan -10 regardless of who is QBing for us.

BTW - where the hell is Newby and why did we burn his redshirt for 1 carry a game?

Ummmm....no.

Armstrong nearly threw the game away in a do or die situation yesterday. If that'd been Martinez, the vitriol would've been suffocating. Armstrong somehow gets understanding? What...the....

It's the Jammal Lord syndrome I guess. Permanently, irreversibly underappreciated. Martinez will forever absorb a criminally inflated degree of the blame for the things that have gone wrong the last few years, and he doesn't deserve it for a lot of pretty obvious reasons, but people see what they want I guess. There is ALWAYS a scapegoat...and usually, he's not a charming guy. Think what you want but that's a big part of it, in my opinion anyway. If the guy had charisma for days he'd have a far different status among Husker fans. Just what I think...but I believe it all the way.

I mean....LOL....now he's the reason for abysmal defensive play for two and half years? That's....nah. Won't even touch that.

Martinez is one of my favorite Huskers, only because his name seems to breed freakish allergies to objective reasoning and he's never thrown a Niles Paul style temper tantrum even though he's taken FAR worse than Niles ever did. People get MAD about Martinez...I mean, there are people that REALLY do not like the kid. They'll reference his play, but good lord...it's venemous. And personal. Ask Dirk.

Our problem is pretty well summed up by defections/injuries/swings-and-misses on O-line recruits, ditto for the D-line with Peat and Rome and Ankrah never living up to their billing and other kids signing elsewhere, a pretty much non-existent stable of LBs up until a couple seasons ago so the talent we have is ultra young and green...oh, and maybe breaking in two completely inexperienced coordinators also contributed. I dunno. It's possible.

The HC doesn't have a hell of a lot of experience either, for that matter.

Martinez is just a magnet for a lot of people. Easy to say, "there's the problem," when the reality is that there are problemS, plural, and a lot of them.

You know...there IS a legitimate discussion to be had about turnovers which are poisonous death according to every coach ever, and Martinez has given the ball away a LOT. But he's done way too many good things on a pretty flawed team that are overlooked to such a crazy degree that I can never seem to get to that.

Sorry....I don't mean to get snippy. I just honestly feel kind of embarrassed by how some of us have acted over the last 8-10 years. Yelling at Cosgrove's kids, the whine fest over a second that WAS in fact still on the clock...lotta stuff. We're a judgemental lot lately. Which is pretty human, but couple that with our self-adulation while walking under the "Through These Gates" signs every home Saturday...I dunno. It's left a sour taste in my mouth. Sanctimonious stuff coupled with hypocritical acts...hell...has anyone even mentioned that Dr. Tom was FAR too humble to have the field named after him four years ago, but all of the sudden now it's cool? I mean...that's not a huge deal or anything. But it is kinda...well....bullsh#t....especially when I hear this dogmatic refrain on "Tom never woulda done this" or "Tom woulda done that." Isn't it? Maybe I'm way off base. (Full disclosure: I only said that because some people will be pissed about that. I may not be totally right, but this stuff isn't lost on the CFB world. And who cares what anyone else thinks...although, I think we actually DO care. A lot.)

Weird post, I know. But I'm just being straight up honest, no proofreading. I LOVE Nebraska football, will FOREVER love Osborne. I just had to get some of that off my chest I guess, and if some of that upsets some people I apologize for that. I'm wrong plenty. I just think our fanbase is NOT helping the overall aura of the program, and I don't blame anyone. It's been a tough friggin decade plus, to be totally honest.

Is Martinez the problem? When I think about Beebe and the A&M game and this goddamn tape (which says more about the health of the inner program than it does the coach) and a ton of defections and...no. No man. Taylor is not the problem, not from where I'm sitting.

Rant done...sorry everyone.

• Fire 7

Without a healthy Taylor, I'm not sure we're gonna be able to cross the 50 yard line against Michigan State.

Dude, you have no respect for Ameer with that comment at all.

Call me crazy, but I think we win. Their D is solid, BUT they haven't played a team that runs the option (Beck keep it), we have the best RB in the league, we have (when healthy) the best set of receivers in the league. Beck will need to call the game of his life. I would love to see reverses, the diamond, option, misdirection, motion (it kills us) and the good old shovel pass and passes to our RB's. Beck has shown little creativity this year. Final stretch, hold what you can until MSU and unleash the beast. They will come at our QB's like their a$$es are and fire and their hair is catching. Need to negate the rush with the above.

All I know, is the defense has been mostly sh#t for 14 1/2 of 16 quarters under Taylor. It's been in lights out shut down mode for about the same amount without. That's not coincidence. It's a full blown pattern. And if you say the qb shouldnt affect the desire and confidence of a defense, then you probably havent played the sport. Players in all phases of the game sense leadership and urgency from their leader. I just dont think Taylor has those attributes, and that's not some fly by night observation in the wake of his sudden absence. It's been a trend that's been discussed for all of his 4 years here. Tommy and Ron both show them qualities. Tommy threw three intereceptions yesterday, one that was supposed to cost us the game, but yet there he was, involved on the sidelines, urging the crowd on as the defense made one last stand. There he was involved as Ron lead us into position.

This^. Unsure if it my biased opinion, but both sides look calmer with TA/RKIII at the helm. The INT would have doomed us 99% of the time. That was the "nut kick" moment that has killed us game and game again.

Watched the FSU/Miami game and saw Winston, with his arm around a defensive player, who was out because of a concussion. They also spoke about him and others when it came to leadership at the QB position and how it effects everyone. Winston, has the "it" factor they all said. He is rah rah with a smile. Even as a freshman, when he was redshirted and wouldn't play was encouraging guys last year. In baseball, when not on the rotation, was still getting into guys to have them play better.

Not a knock on Martinez, but because you are the starter, doesn't mean you are a leader........It just means you are the best guy for the job at that moment in time.

Michigan State is for real, and that loss last year is the kind of wound that scars. It'll fade...but it won't disappear.

I just hope they get all Texas 2010 revenge crazy...and promptly piss all over themselves. Wouldn't bet on it. Sparty reminds me of '09 NU a little bit...good...but MEAN.

Then again, we are still Nebraska. Even when we're supposedly a faded belle who'll never regain her glory, we show up and beat you. Wisco, Penn State, Mich...they can all vouch for that. Hell, so can those big, bad SEC teams that had to grind to beat an NU team with a really porous defense and pretty average guys standing as integral cogs on the o-line.

Uh oh...here comes the optimism again! Wait until Valentine, Moss, Gregory, Bando, Rose, that friggin criminal Alfalava (he's my dark horse candidate for maybe the best of the bunch...that's a strong maybe)....wait'll those guys are playing like Asante did his senior year. Bigger, faster....and instinctual because the scheme is ingrained rather than uncertain. We saw some hard hits yesterday...I really only remember Martin hitting like that last year, and we've got a few guys clacking helmets. (Btw...Corey Cooper HURTS. He's just one of those guys...not a fun collision. Love that.)

Haha...can't stay in the gloom baby! Pretty soon it'll be an annual bloodbath for the division in a game that will quickly become a must-see national rivalry: Nebraska-Wisconsin. Mmmm....there's the love. Lost her for a minute there.

But losing to Minnesota will hurt the toughest of men. And I'm a friggin p***y.

THE problem? No, A problem-yes, but only because the coaches or Taylor himself, insisted on (him) playing hurt. Now Taylor is probably out for the rest of the year or at least until the bowl game. When he is healthy he can do great things but when he's hurt the whole team suffers. Could we have won against Minnesota had Taylor sat out and Ron/Tommy played?

So your argument is the defense plays slightly better against weaker competition, so obviously Martinez is to blame when the defense doesn't step up against the better teams we play...

Am I being punked? Where are you Ashton?

What's with the competition argument all the time. What's the big difference outside of UCLA? Is Minnesota really a juggernaut next to NW just because they sqeeked by them?

One side: Wyoming, So Miss (probably worse than SDSU, Purdue, and Illionois), UCLA, and Minnesota

Other side: SDSU, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern.

Again, outside of UCLA, the competition arguement is rather silly too. It's not that far off. And as far as the argument of what Taylor did last year, that has nothing to do with this year. But sorry, i'm sticking with my premesis on this. Football is about a lot of mentality and psychology. I pay attention to these kinds of things rather than x's and o's. This is an obvious assessment at this point.

• Fire 1