Ever think Martinez is the problem

Yeah, I think it's a bit grasping at straws to say the team responds differently. May be they do, but that's hard to qualify. On the other hand, it's not as hard to see what our current QBs bring to the table. We just run a smoother offense when they're in there. It doesn't always work, but one thing it's not is haphazard. When Tommy turns a busted play into a 2 yard gain, that sort of thing doesn't show up on the stat sheet, but that doesn't stop the effect from being real.

Defensively, things changed from Minnesota to this week. Apparently VV's inexplicable benching ended. That was truly utterly inexplicable and may have cost us the game against the Gophers.

• Fire 1

Beck doesn't often overthink himself when RK or TA are in, which is a big plus. He outthinks himself when TM is in. And when he's injured, TM can't do what he needs to do to be effective and make the offense mutlidimensional.

But there is no evidence whatsoever that TM is such a toxic presence on the team that they respond differently to him on all sides of the ball, including the f'ing punter. That's just ignoring so many other factors and problems that it boggles the mind anyone would even suggest it.

• Fire 1
Yeah, I think it's a bit grasping at straws to say the team responds differently. May be they do, but that's hard to qualify. On the other hand, it's not as hard to see what our current QBs bring to the table. We just run a smoother offense when they're in there. It doesn't always work, but one thing it's not is haphazard. When Tommy turns a busted play into a 2 yard gain, that sort of thing doesn't show up on the stat sheet, but that doesn't stop the effect from being real.

Defensively, things changed from Minnesota to this week. Apparently VV's inexplicable benching ended. That was truly utterly inexplicable and may have cost us the game against the Gophers.

This is a well reasoned post. Out of character for you, really.

The main reason we struggle against run of the mill teams? We are still Nebraska at the end of the day. Beating us STILL means something. ISU 09, proof of this. Two weeks ago against Minny-soda furthers that belief. Alot of teams see us on their schedule and get excited at the opportunity. Not all teams can do anything about it ie S.Miss, but most give us their all and bring their A game.

The main reason we struggle against run of the mill teams? We are still Nebraska at the end of the day. Beating us STILL means something. ISU 09, proof of this. Two weeks ago against Minny-soda furthers that belief. Alot of teams see us on their schedule and get excited at the opportunity. Not all teams can do anything about it ie S.Miss, but most give us their all and bring their A game.

A win over Nebraska? Could be the shot of adrenaline that blows a season open for teams.

It is still really big for many teams. Hell, Minnesota had t-shirts made celebrating the victory!! Btw, they won again this weekend. They are playing some good football, and b/c they beat us it just confirms to the players that what they do during the week pays off on the weekends. Huge thing for a team.

All I know, is the defense has been mostly sh#t for 14 1/2 of 16 quarters under Taylor. It's been in lights out shut down mode for about the same amount without. That's not coincidence. It's a full blown pattern. And if you say the qb shouldnt affect the desire and confidence of a defense, then you probably havent played the sport. Players in all phases of the game sense leadership and urgency from their leader. I just dont think Taylor has those attributes, and that's not some fly by night observation in the wake of his sudden absence. It's been a trend that's been discussed for all of his 4 years here. Tommy and Ron both show them qualities. Tommy threw three intereceptions yesterday, one that was supposed to cost us the game, but yet there he was, involved on the sidelines, urging the crowd on as the defense made one last stand. There he was involved as Ron lead us into position.

So your argument is the defense plays slightly better against weaker competition, so obviously Martinez is to blame when the defense doesn't step up against the better teams we play...

Am I being punked? Where are you Ashton?

What's with the competition argument all the time. What's the big difference outside of UCLA? Is Minnesota really a juggernaut next to NW just because they sqeeked by them?

One side: Wyoming, So Miss (probably worse than SDSU, Purdue, and Illionois), UCLA, and Minnesota

Other side: SDSU, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern.

Again, outside of UCLA, the competition arguement is rather silly too. It's not that far off. And as far as the argument of what Taylor did last year, that has nothing to do with this year. But sorry, i'm sticking with my premesis on this. Football is about a lot of mentality and psychology. I pay attention to these kinds of things rather than x's and o's. This is an obvious assessment at this point.

Illinois, Purdue, and Northwestern have yet to win games in conference play. Hell, they might go winless in conference. Yes, Minnesota is a giant compared to all 4 listed teams. I don't get how you can watch horrible play by TA and RK3 (INTs, overthrows, etc) and dismiss it but blame Martinez for any problem (sacks caused by horrible OLine, dropped passes that hit receivers in the hands) .

I'm not blaming Martinez for anything. I just happen to see that obviously, the whole team is just responding better to the intangible qualities put forth by Tommy and Ron. Christ almighty, even our punter couldnt do his job against Minnesota.

You can't reason with someone who is unreasonable. I'm done wasting my time with you, blaming punting on Martinez.... do you post drunk or something?

Isn't VV out when we go to a 3 man front? Maybe that's why things changed? I dunno...but you're right on VV...having our biggest linemen ride the bench is odd.

If VV is out when we go to a 3-man, that's really odd. Why we'd prefer Randle in that situation I don't know...but if I recall, whenever we went to a 3-man they just had one of our ends (RG44) stand up behind the line.

I'm not blaming Martinez for anything. I just happen to see that obviously, the whole team is just responding better to the intangible qualities put forth by Tommy and Ron. Christ almighty, even our punter couldnt do his job against Minnesota.

Did you seriously just say that the punter's shank was because of Martinez??? Wow. You must've not seen his shank against Northwestern then. Or maybe Martinez using his voodoo doll again.

i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills.gif

• Fire 1

Yeah, I'm not serious about the punter screwing up becuase of Martinez. Jeebus guys. It's just a smartass comment I used in support of my opinion/point. The folks here who really know probably know this as well. If not, I'm sorry. Good greif.

Bottom line is, I'm just seeing at attitude and swagger on the field that is better under Tommy. Taylor is not the problem. I just dont think he's that answer.

Hey, there's something about your offense getting the ball and marching straight down the field for a touchdown that kind of motivates the team. If I recall right, TA has done this on the opening drive of each of his starts. It sets the tone and makes everyone feel like if they do their job today, they can compete for a win. Let's stop bitching about it and embrace TA. The guy is our next long term QB IMO.

• Fire 1
Hey, there's something about your offense getting the ball and marching straight down the field for a touchdown that kind of motivates the team. If I recall right, TA has done this on the opening drive of each of his starts. It sets the tone and makes everyone feel like if they do their job today, they can compete for a win. Let's stop bitching about it and embrace TA. The guy is our next long term QB IMO.

What if he comes out pick happy the rest of the year? Do we gamble on Stanton next year if the race is close?