Ever think Martinez is the problem

Without sounding to harsh i guess im sorry i dont read all themartinez threads out there. This has nothing to do with his playing ability or his running ability, or his fumbles. Its his ability to have control and maintain control of his guys out on the field. The coaches are calling the shots but everyone on the field takes there cues from the qb period. And he has never shown he can lead like he needs to. He is a good player but he is not a good leader, he doesnt show hes calm when its on the line, he cant demand his lineman push harder to give him time in the pocket. He doesnt have nor will he have that ability. He is a good player and tough as nails for playing hurt so much but some people lead and some follow.

Without sounding to harsh i guess im sorry i dont read all themartinez threads out there. This has nothing to do with his playing ability or his running ability, or his fumbles. Its his ability to have control and maintain control of his guys out on the field. The coaches are calling the shots but everyone on the field takes there cues from the qb period. And he has never shown he can lead like he needs to. He is a good player but he is not a good leader, he doesnt show hes calm when its on the line, he cant demand his lineman push harder to give him time in the pocket. He doesnt have nor will he have that ability. He is a good player and tough as nails for playing hurt so much but some people lead and some follow.

I know what you're getting at. With TA or RKIII under center the offense just looks different. Hard to quantify, but the plays seem to get off faster, less confusion, less checking at the line. Okay, yes, look at the competition, but I don't think this is a figment of our imagination. Some guys have presence. When they're out there, something about who they are imprints itself on the unit. Taylor does not have that thing, and honestly, he never did. Pelini threw the dice with a blindingly fast track-speed runner and lost. The gamble didn't net us any hardware. That alongside a host of other issues has brought us to this point.

Taylor isn't THE problem. But, strangely, I think replacing him might be a solution. If RKIII or TA trots out there and wins out, suddenly we're having a whole other conversation come December. But if Taylor goes out there again and continues to lose in his ugly, schizophrenic way, Pelini might be in effect resigning with that decision. The defense is bad enough, but letting the offense collapse with Taylor is how a coaching regime change begins.

• Fire 4

I know what you're getting at. With TA or RKIII under center the offense just looks different. Hard to quantify, but the plays seem to get off faster, less confusion, less checking at the line. Okay, yes, look at the competition, but I don't think this is a figment of our imagination.

Especially when we have games like Wyoming and Minnesota to compare. The offense when TA or RK are out there is just more fluid and efficient - which takes a lot of pressure off a young, developing defense. It seems obvious to me, and if people don't feel comfortable attributing that to the QB change, they can attribute it to whatever makes them comfortable. But it's becoming more and more difficult to deny.

I know what you're getting at. With TA or RKIII under center the offense just looks different. Hard to quantify, but the plays seem to get off faster, less confusion, less checking at the line. Okay, yes, look at the competition, but I don't think this is a figment of our imagination.

Especially when we have games like Wyoming and Minnesota to compare. The offense when TA or RK are out there is just more fluid and efficient - which takes a lot of pressure off a young, developing defense. It seems obvious to me, and if people don't feel comfortable attributing that to the QB change, they can attribute it to whatever makes them comfortable. But it's becoming more and more difficult to deny.

I don't think the problem is Taylor, I think the problem is Beck. With the backups Beck seems to simplify the offense and doesn't try to get too "cute" with the playcalling. Thus the plays are more effective. With Taylor I find Beck tries to do too much and goes to often for the big play which hinders our offense. I'd like to see Beck call a game for Taylor like he does with the others and see what will happen.

I'm reading comments from people now that are identical to some of the comments I made three years ago. Nice to see some of you finally catching up with me. Sometimes it takes awhile I know.

But the thing is that that was 3 years ago when he was a freshman (or sophmore, whichever year). I guess I personally had blind faith that he would develop into a better quarterback than what we've seen. I know he's battled injuries and offensive coordinator changes and so on. I know he's a high character guy and a class act and so on. He's been a warrior for us and I certainly have nothing against him on a personal note, but that shouldnt dismiss the fact that he's not the best option for us anymore. It's not Taylor-hating. It's just looking at what's best for the team at this point from a scoreboard standpoint. Him playing last week and the team going back to looking like it did-injury or not-was all the evidence in the world. There's just something amiss here.

• Fire 1

I know what you're getting at. With TA or RKIII under center the offense just looks different. Hard to quantify, but the plays seem to get off faster, less confusion, less checking at the line. Okay, yes, look at the competition, but I don't think this is a figment of our imagination. Some guys have presence. When they're out there, something about who they are imprints itself on the unit. Taylor does not have that thing, and honestly, he never did. Pelini threw the dice with a blindingly fast track-speed runner and lost. The gamble didn't net us any hardware. That alongside a host of other issues has brought us to this point.

Taylor isn't THE problem. But, strangely, I think replacing him might be a solution. If RKIII or TA trots out there and wins out, suddenly we're having a whole other conversation come December. But if Taylor goes out there again and continues to lose in his ugly, schizophrenic way, Pelini might be in effect resigning with that decision. The defense is bad enough, but letting the offense collapse with Taylor is how a coaching regime change begins.

There is another thread showing the "power" of the teams we have played (beaten) and that of the teams we have yet to play. TA/RKIII have averaged a tougher schedule so far in their 3 games and are 3-0. We are kidding ourselves in thinking that Martinez played far superior talent.

For me the oddest thing about TM playing QB is that he is an extreme introvert. I coached HS football for 21 years and have never seen a kid that was so quite that could or would play QB. Does it hurt his leadership ability? That is hard to say, but I don't think it helps him with his teammates.

Again this is the third time I have said this on this thread. When TM is not close to healthy he doesn't play nearly as well. Last year he stayed healthy and looked good. He didn't look that good as a sophomore because he was not feeling his best.

He wants to play, he is a competitor, but he IMO he just doesn't seem as confident in his own play when he is hurting.

A better defense and fixing fumbles on special teams in 2011 and 2012 gets us into an MNC.

You can't blame Martinez for a bad defense.

There is another thread showing the "power" of the teams we have played (beaten) and that of the teams we have yet to play. TA/RKIII have averaged a tougher schedule so far in their 3 games and are 3-0. We are kidding ourselves in thinking that Martinez played far superior talent.

I forgot how much more powerful South Dakota, Illinois and Purdue are than UCLA and Minnesota. Thanks for reminding me.