Ever think Martinez is the problem

Do I think Martinez is the problem? No

The problem is the coaches. If Martinez isn't the best option, or is not performing up to par, yet stays in the game, especially when we have proven QB's behind him, this is all on coaching. This years loss', I blame the coaches. Poor play calling, poor decision making and the list can keep going.

But how bout the games we WON under Martinez-the apparent powers So. Miss and Wyoming. I have to agree with Lo on this one. Also the fact that SDSU, Illinios, and Purdue? We simply leveled those teams. Did what you do to bad teams.
I was comparing the wins vs wins. Apples to apples. TA/RKIII won against better competition and by a larger margin than the Martinez wins. The O seemed more "fluid" (could be from a simplified plan or less audibles), but is resulted in more points against better teams.......
You want to talk about games we won with Martinez against quality opponents? 2010 Washington 56-21 Oklahoma State 51-41 Missouri 31-17 2011 Washington 51-38 Ohio State 34-27 (biggest comeback in school history) Michigan State 24-3 Penn State 17-14 2012 Wisconsin 30-27 Michigan 23-9 Michigan State 28-24 Penn State 32-23 In games we've lost, it has rarely been Martinez that has caused the issues. Special teams, defense, and receiver problems have plagued this football program over the last few years. Putting TA or RK3 in the Minnesota game (or the UCLA game for the matter) would not fix the problems with the Husker football program.

I'm talking about this year, thank you. And no one can ignore the extra spark, sense of urgency, the smoothness of operation of both the offense and defense for those three games. Those are not indicators of competition. They are of leadership. This his been a knock on Taylor since his freshman campaign. But it just doesnt appear he demands the sort of excellence that one would expect a qb to demand.

This is a tough situation. i understand. He's done so much for us. He's played hurt and led the team to wins. And prior to this season, yes, he was our best-and probably even only-choice for quarterback. But that doesnt excuse the fact that every player has a cieling, and I just think we've hit it with Taylor.

You can't take 3 games against weak opponents to prop up the backups and ignore 3 years of games that show Martinez consistently competing against quality opponents.

You know what would have won the Minnesota game? An O-line that can block and a defense that can defend the jet sweep. Plug TA or RK3 in there with defense getting through the way they were and we don't even keep the score close...

And has Taylor hit his ceiling? Maybe. But I'd take Taylor's floor over TA and RK3 this year.

But how bout the games we WON under Martinez-the apparent powers So. Miss and Wyoming. I have to agree with Lo on this one. Also the fact that SDSU, Illinios, and Purdue? We simply leveled those teams. Did what you do to bad teams.
I was comparing the wins vs wins. Apples to apples. TA/RKIII won against better competition and by a larger margin than the Martinez wins. The O seemed more "fluid" (could be from a simplified plan or less audibles), but is resulted in more points against better teams.......
You want to talk about games we won with Martinez against quality opponents? 2010 Washington 56-21 Oklahoma State 51-41 Missouri 31-17 2011 Washington 51-38 Ohio State 34-27 (biggest comeback in school history) Michigan State 24-3 Penn State 17-14 2012 Wisconsin 30-27 Michigan 23-9 Michigan State 28-24 Penn State 32-23 In games we've lost, it has rarely been Martinez that has caused the issues. Special teams, defense, and receiver problems have plagued this football program over the last few years. Putting TA or RK3 in the Minnesota game (or the UCLA game for the matter) would not fix the problems with the Husker football program.

I'm talking about this year, thank you. And no one can ignore the extra spark, sense of urgency, the smoothness of operation of both the offense and defense for those three games. Those are not indicators of competition. They are of leadership. This his been a knock on Taylor since his freshman campaign. But it just doesnt appear he demands the sort of excellence that one would expect a qb to demand.

This is a tough situation. i understand. He's done so much for us. He's played hurt and led the team to wins. And prior to this season, yes, he was our best-and probably even only-choice for quarterback. But that doesnt excuse the fact that every player has a cieling, and I just think we've hit it with Taylor.

You can't take 3 games against weak opponents to prop up the backups and ignore 3 years of games that show Martinez consistently competing against quality opponents.

You know what would have won the Minnesota game? An O-line that can block and a defense that can defend the jet sweep. Plug TA or RK3 in there with defense getting through the way they were and we don't even keep the score close...

And has Taylor hit his ceiling? Maybe. But I'd take Taylor's floor over TA and RK3 this year.

Just comparing this season. Not knocking what he has done previously, but what he has/hasn't this year. IMO, TA has that "it" factor I do not see with Martinez. Also posted with the 2009 D, Martinez (when healthy) would have that MNC. No one is disputing he has abilities and no one says he is the sole reason for our losses. I am talking purely about his ability to lead, THIS YEAR, and how we looked different under TA/RKIII.

I have to say, I was one of (and still am) one of Martinez's defenders. After all his comebacks last year, I was talking about how CLUTCH he was and during those games, at those moments, against those opponents, I wouldn't trade him for any other QB. Now, realize that it was a hyperbole, yes, there's plenty of QB's better than him, but with that team last year, he just clicked when he needed to.

This year is a completely different story. And I have to say it is not even about him. Sure he has played injured and all and hasn't quite played 100% pretty much all year. I can say with full confidence that the losses we have had this year are not even close to Martinez's fault.

Having said that, the TEAM seems to pick it up big time while Tommy and RKIII are playing. Now, I am not saying they are better leaders or better players. I could say that Tommy has the edge on talent, but he is still very raw, as we saw against Purdue. But for those games, the whole team seemed to play better. Yeah sure, it was Illinois, Purdue and SDSU, but still, I think we should have had a similar game against Minnesota as we did those three listed. Hell, I think Illinois is the better team than Minn. Regardless, we got beat up front.

I think that the team has the mentality of "Tommy is a young kid! Better play well today for him in case this young kid makes a mistake!" So they do. I am not saying that they don't play hard for Martinez. If anything, I think because of last year they probably have some thoughts of "Taylor can get us out of it! He did it last year!"

It's a mental thing, and probably dumb. I am not saying Tommy is better than Taylor. Even though he has the edge on talent, he is still raw. I just think that the team plays with a harder edge because he is so young. They have more fight. It might be the play calling, the guys up front like a game plan with a power running attack, they probably get extra pumped just because the game plan calls for lots of running.

So in conclusion, I don't think Taylor Martinez is the problem at all. I just think the team plays with a harder edge with Tommy. The whole team. They just seem to have more fight. I mean, hell, 3 picks in one game is extremely costly, against ANY opponent. but the team overall played better.

The reason why RKIII and Armstrong showed more "leadership" in the games they played is because they played against weaker defenses. You can claim that's not the reason all you want, but it's easy to be a leader when you don't have to worry about the competition you're facing.

Right now, Armstrong can show all the "leadership" he wants, but until he has a better rapport with the receivers, knows the routes, and learns where to put the football for the routes the receivers are running, it won't matter. He has a long ways to go. Taylor threw some pretty inaccurate passes against Minnesota too, but a lot of them were catchable.

• Fire 1

The reason why RKIII and Armstrong showed more "leadership" in the games they played is because they played against weaker defenses. You can claim that's not the reason all you want, but it's easy to be a leader when you don't have to worry about the competition you're facing.

Right now, Armstrong can show all the "leadership" he wants, but until he has a better rapport with the receivers, knows the routes, and learns where to put the football for the routes the receivers are running, it won't matter. He has a long ways to go. Taylor threw some pretty inaccurate passes against Minnesota too, but a lot of them were catchable.

This x1000. Any QB would look good against those teams. TA and RK3 are going to get eaten alive against Michigan State, especially after the O-line got exposed against Minnesota. I mean, 3 INTs to Purdue?

I almost wonder what it would take to get the Martinez haters to realize our losses aren't his fault. I'd say losing out for the rest of the season with him on the bench, but they'd probably find a way to blame Martinez anyway (like the annoying lady at the table next to me during the Minnesota game that was screaming to take Martinez out after Abdullah fumbled).

All three quarterbacks played roughly the same type of competition except for UCLA. Wyoming, Southern Miss, Illinois, Purdue are all ranked 92nd or lower in points a game.

TA and RK3 have yet to play a bowl eligible team, and might not do so until Michigan State. Until then, you can't honestly say it's been the same level of competition.

All three quarterbacks played roughly the same type of competition except for UCLA. Wyoming, Southern Miss, Illinois, Purdue are all ranked 92nd or lower in points a game.

TA and RK3 have yet to play a bowl eligible team, and might not do so until Michigan State. Until then, you can't honestly say it's been the same level of competition.

At this point, if TA and RK3 can move the chains, I don't give a rip if we're playing Alabama or an NAIA school.

At this point, if TA and RK3 can move the chains, I don't give a rip if we're playing Alabama or an NAIA school.

You're missing the forest for the trees. They only moved the chains because of the level of competition they have faced so far.

This x1000. Any QB would look good against those teams. TA and RK3 are going to get eaten alive against Michigan State, especially after the O-line got exposed against Minnesota. I mean, 3 INTs to Purdue?

I almost wonder what it would take to get the Martinez haters to realize our losses aren't his fault. I'd say losing out for the rest of the season with him on the bench, but they'd probably find a way to blame Martinez anyway (like the annoying lady at the table next to me during the Minnesota game that was screaming to take Martinez out after Abdullah fumbled).

I am so glad you can tell the future! LOW AND BEHOLD WE WON'T WIN ANOTHER GAME!!!

I am, and will not blame T-Mart for those losses, but I will say that, if we had COMPETENT coaches, who would have the balls to pull a player out of the game who is COMPLETELY struggling, we would have had a fighting chance to be undefeated right now. For Beck, or Bo not to pull Martinez in the Minnesota game is just outright ridiculous, and laughable at the same time. We play Ronnie from the 2nd, 3rd or hell 4th quarter of the Minnesota game, we come back.

I was at that game, I saw the line pumping themselves up for a comeback. Ronnie was also warming up when this was happening. Martinez was alone, watching the game and not bringing any leadership, when in my opinion, it was needed the most. Not saying he isn't a leader, just relaying what I saw. Something you don't see on TV. After Martinez walked on the field, threw 2 poorly thrown passes and we had a 3 & out, it went downhill from there. No leadership from a single player on that team. No energy, nothing. I will say it now, Ronnie is our best chance at winning out. Nothing against Armstrong, but he has a lot of learning still.

You're missing the forest for the trees. They only moved the chains because of the level of competition they have faced so far.

And Wyoming, Minnesota and Southern Miss' defense is that much better than Purdue, SDSU and Illinois? Come on man. They looked WAY more smooth in those games, than Taylor did in those 3 games.